testtest

Pet Peeves

I do not know why some feel they have to correct folks in this manner. I am no longer in the military, so I am not required to correct someone for using an incorrect term. I describe a clip as something that holds rounds together, where as a magazine (e.g., box or drum) holds rounds inside.
I agree sir. I've been out of the Marine Corps since 1979. But sometimes I do laugh when I hear a phrase like "Do you like my gun?". Because it reminds me of being in Marine Corps boot camp(1976) and hearing the Drill Instructors correct recruits with, "This is my rifle. This is my gun. This is for shooting. This is for fun.". It ain't so funny when you're a recruit running around holding a rifle over your head and yelling those phrases. But it's funny now...:)

Only real strong pet piece is being on time. I consider it to be insulting to someone not to be there when you say you will be. I was taught thier time is every bit as important as my own, and it's a matter of respect. And yes, I know not everyone feels this way, it's probably the longest running conversation my wife and I have had, 45 years lol.

Only real strong pet piece is being on time. I consider it to be insulting to someone not to be there when you say you will be. I was taught thier time is every bit as important as my own, and it's a matter of respect. And yes, I know not everyone feels this way, it's probably the longest running conversation my wife and I have had, 45 years lol.
On time for me is being late.
Being there 5-10 min early is respectful. If someone says they are leaving at 3:00, arriving at 3:00 means you are not leaving till 3:10

I do not know why some feel they have to correct folks in this manner. I am no longer in the military, so I am not required to correct someone for using an incorrect term. I describe a clip as something that holds rounds together, where as a magazine (e.g., box or drum) holds rounds inside.
That is exactly how I would want to be corrected and I think we’ve all known someone (or have been that someone) who shames someone for saying clips. I mistakenly said it in a forum and immediately corrected myself and still got 5 or 6 “corrections” even after I explained I accidentally said it. Luckily I can take it I just respond with humor. I almost sent the TPS report meme from office space but decided not to.

It is a gun faux pas. Like calling a cartridge a bullet.
I 100 percent get it but we all want more 2Aers and want them to feel comfortable in our family so just a simple explanation and correction would do. I recently saw someone comment that the person that said “how many clips” should not have guns and to me that’s a horrible response. Idk just a thought but I do know more people feel this way but are hesitant to voice it.

It's because when you call it a clip you're trying to sound cool, as it is derived from TV/movie slang and rather than sounding cool it just makes it sound like you don't know what you're talking about because there is a such thing as clips and they are NOT magazines.
Or maybe just don’t understand the difference? No disrespect but more often than not I think most people that say clip honestly don’t know.

If you read your manual on a new gun, which one should being new to firearms, there is never mention of the parts of the gun as a “clip”.
A very good exception would be an M1 Garand, among a few select others.
So no, it is not a clip..
Your manual says so
“Magazine”
Again, very true but instead of correcting someone we decide to attack them? How is that correcting the mistake? I know most of us are not ok with being disrespected for something we didn’t even know was wrong or taboo. I agree with you 100 percent anyone deciding to own guns should def read the manual and learn as much as they can about their firearm. We all know people that buy the gun, never take it out of the case, have no ammo for it and just put it in a safe exactly how they bought it but say they have it for home defense. That's another pet peeve for another day 😂

Again, very true but instead of correcting someone we decide to attack them? How is that correcting the mistake? I know most of us are not ok with being disrespected for something we didn’t even know was wrong or taboo. I agree with you 100 percent anyone deciding to own guns should def read the manual and learn as much as they can about their firearm. We all know people that buy the gun, never take it out of the case, have no ammo for it and just put it in a safe exactly how they bought it but say they have it for home defense. That's another pet peeve for another day 😂
I see your point. I have a relative who is spring loaded to pounce with a correction whenever someone misspeaks. Most annoying. The best response to her is, "you know what I meant". Civility and hospitality is important. On the other hand, gun culture is in general not for the thin skinned.

Something that easily offends me are people who are easily offended. Er, what I meant was.....

A platoon leader once told me that he practices what he called "Lombardi Time." He stated that if you are 5 minutes early, then you are 10 minutes late.

I see your point. I have a relative who is spring loaded to pounce with a correction whenever someone misspeaks. Most annoying. The best response to her is, "you know what I meant". Civility and hospitality is important. On the other hand, gun culture is in general not for the thin skinned.

Something that easily offends me are people who are easily offended. Er, what I meant was.....
Lol amen there

“Grain weight” in reference to bullet weight.

It’s like saying “ounce weight” when referring to a steak—eg, you wouldn’t say “I picked up a 16 ounce weight T-bone”, so why say “I use a 124 grain weight bullet”?
I believe anal science nerd types will tell you the correct phrase is mass, not weight

Anal Science eh? Hmmm. I knew I should have stayed in school.
IMG_1908.gif

Back