testtest

Pheasant opener…

What a perfect weekend. Buddy & I went out yesterday afternoon, and saw a few rooster and a lot of hens…no good shots, though.

This morning went out…and it was nuts.40 minutes in, and we had two birds…then we had a rise of about a half dozen…

Ended the day limiting out; 3 shooters, 6 birds…here’s my two…
CEC65B91-D97D-497E-B1F3-CA79701D16C7.jpeg

Perfect day, perfect weather, good friends, incredible dog. Could not ask for more.

What a perfect weekend. Buddy & I went out yesterday afternoon, and saw a few rooster and a lot of hens…no good shots, though.

This morning went out…and it was nuts.40 minutes in, and we had two birds…then we had a rise of about a half dozen…

Ended the day limiting out; 3 shooters, 6 birds…here’s my two…View attachment 21381

Perfect day, perfect weather, good friends, incredible dog. Could not ask for more.
Days don't get much better.

My recipe for Pheasant Cordon Bleu
PHEASANT CORDON BLEU RECIPE

8 portions serves four adults

Ingredients:

Four whole pheasants

pound of sliced swiss cheese-16 slices

Thin sliced Prosciutto-16 pieces

Thin sliced ham-8 pieces

Thick slices of bacon-16 slices

Chopped mushrooms if desired

2 cups sour cream

1 can Campbells golden mushroom soup

Fillet the breast away from the breastbone. We throw the rest of the bird away-the legs are so filled with tendons that they are not worth the trouble but if you have the time you could make a stew with the legs and other parts

Rinse and remove shot, blood, feathers, and cut away any bone or tendons from the breast fillets

Put the fillets a couple at a time in a ziplock freezer bag and flatten out on a cutting board. Pound the fillets with a meat tenderizing hammer until they are flat and thinned. As thin as you can get it without it breaking into pieces. Set the fillets to the side. If there is any shot left in the fillet it will show up here.

Roll the swiss cheese into a roll. Roll the ham around the cheese, then the prosciutto around the ham, then the pheasant fillet around the prosciutto. Take two slices of bacon and make an "X" on your cutting board. Set the roll in the middle of the "X" and roll the bacon around the pheasant to tie it all together. Overlap the tag ends of the bacon and stick a skewer through the whole thing to hold it together.

Cook as you would a chicken breast. The recipe I used called for 225 for 3 hours but that makes it far too well done. I like to put it on the BGE at 350 for 7 minutes per side and check to see if it is done. There are 4 sides to this roll so 28 minutes total or thereabouts is about right. 165 degrees internal temp is safe for poultry. The bacon dripping will flare and add flavor. Just don't overcook it.

While the pheasant is cooking, put two cups sour cream and the can of golden mushroom soup in a saucepan and heat and mix thoroughly. Add chopped mushrooms if you like. A little Tobasco in the sauce will zip things up a bit.

When the pheasant is done plate and ladle the sour cream/ mushroom soup sauce over the roll and serve right away. Serve with wild rice and veggie of your choice. Bon Apetite!

My recipe for Pheasant Cordon Bleu
PHEASANT CORDON BLEU RECIPE

8 portions serves four adults

Ingredients:

Four whole pheasants

pound of sliced swiss cheese-16 slices

Thin sliced Prosciutto-16 pieces

Thin sliced ham-8 pieces

Thick slices of bacon-16 slices

Chopped mushrooms if desired

2 cups sour cream

1 can Campbells golden mushroom soup

Fillet the breast away from the breastbone. We throw the rest of the bird away-the legs are so filled with tendons that they are not worth the trouble but if you have the time you could make a stew with the legs and other parts

Rinse and remove shot, blood, feathers, and cut away any bone or tendons from the breast fillets

Put the fillets a couple at a time in a ziplock freezer bag and flatten out on a cutting board. Pound the fillets with a meat tenderizing hammer until they are flat and thinned. As thin as you can get it without it breaking into pieces. Set the fillets to the side. If there is any shot left in the fillet it will show up here.

Roll the swiss cheese into a roll. Roll the ham around the cheese, then the prosciutto around the ham, then the pheasant fillet around the prosciutto. Take two slices of bacon and make an "X" on your cutting board. Set the roll in the middle of the "X" and roll the bacon around the pheasant to tie it all together. Overlap the tag ends of the bacon and stick a skewer through the whole thing to hold it together.

Cook as you would a chicken breast. The recipe I used called for 225 for 3 hours but that makes it far too well done. I like to put it on the BGE at 350 for 7 minutes per side and check to see if it is done. There are 4 sides to this roll so 28 minutes total or thereabouts is about right. 165 degrees internal temp is safe for poultry. The bacon dripping will flare and add flavor. Just don't overcook it.

While the pheasant is cooking, put two cups sour cream and the can of golden mushroom soup in a saucepan and heat and mix thoroughly. Add chopped mushrooms if you like. A little Tobasco in the sauce will zip things up a bit.

When the pheasant is done plate and ladle the sour cream/ mushroom soup sauce over the roll and serve right away. Serve with wild rice and veggie of your choice. Bon Apetite!
Sounds good!

I just cubed the breasts (I agree that the rest of the bird is just too difficult with the tendons), quick sauté with some onions, then added mushroom soup and frozen peas & carrots, bring to a simmer, and serve over biscuits.

Ended the day limiting out; 3 shooters, 6 birds…here’s my two…View attachment 21381

I would say "Lets talk turkey, but🤮🤮🤮🤮🤢"! Now about how you gunna fix it? I ate pheasant only 1 time and it was really good! An ex-lineman from the Colts (before thay got moved from Baltimore) bbq'd it. Next to quail it would be on my table everyday! The same guy also cooked some duck (1st time eating it also) which was very good and kind of greasy looking? Is that usual for duck?

They look broken, might wana ask for a refund.

Pheasants - my favorite hunt! Thanks for sharing the story & photos.

Our dog making a retrieve a few weeks ago:
wGFpnT1l.jpg

My youngest son and our dog on that same hunt:
CKJLT33l.jpg

And one of me at the end of our snowy hunt:
F5s74IAl.jpg

Dad started taking me pheasant hunting 50+ years ago and I still thoroughly enjoy.

Regards, Guy

Back