testtest

Pistol covered in “condensation”

KillerFord1977

SAINT
Founding Member
Anyone find their firearm covered in condensation, “sweat”?
Went to range Thursday. Fired 100 rounds thru the 1911.
Put it back in the soft case and into the truck compartment. Forgot to take it out and pulled it out today to clean and reload the extra mags, and the gun was covered in water. I mean absolutely covered in water on all exterior surfaces. Been raining off and on around these parts every day since Thursday, so I assume the hot gun combined with high humidity caused the gun to form condensation ???

never had this happen ever.

glad I pulled the gun today to clean or could have started to rust

Ok, did you put the gun away hot, and did it get cold over night when you left it in your truck, I had it happen few years back on my turkey shotgun, went to range, shot it with turkey loads, left it in trunk overnight since I was going hunting first thing in morning, took it out of case and it had some condensation on it.

Last edited:
Yes, left range right after firing. 70+ degree nights, but been super high humidity and/or rain
You sure you just didn’t slobber all over it since it’s a 1911, and just didn’t want to tell us.......😂😂😂😂

1590347166169.gif

When I was messing more with photography, in the winter I would put my dslr in a 1 gal zip-lock baggie before taking it outside into the cold, and I would also put it in the zip-lock prior to taking it into the warmth of the house and/or bldg. Let the condesation build-up on the outside of the zip-lock, instead of the exterior/inside of the camera. Works also if going from a cold a/c cooled environment outside into the heat of summer.

What foam is best for guns?

The best foam for gun cases is polyethylene (abbreviated PE) because polyethylene is closed cell, which prevents moisture from absorbing into it. No matter how wet PE foam gets the liquid stays at the surface so it can be wiped clean.

Open cell polyurethane will absorb moisture, oils, & cleaning solvents causing it to break down much quicker than PE, and will get extremely gross over time.

https://www.caseclub.com/what-foam-is-best-for-guns/

What foam is best for guns?

The best foam for gun cases is polyethylene (abbreviated PE) because polyethylene is closed cell, which prevents moisture from absorbing into it. No matter how wet PE foam gets the liquid stays at the surface so it can be wiped clean.

Open cell polyurethane will absorb moisture, oils, & cleaning solvents causing it to break down much quicker than PE, and will get extremely gross over time.

https://www.caseclub.com/what-foam-is-best-for-guns/
I don't keep my firearms in a Pelican case, but do have one for my GoPro cams used while kayaking on occasion. Now I'm wondering if the "pluck-n-pull" foam that came in the case is closed-cell. 🤔

I don't keep my firearms in a Pelican case, but do have one for my GoPro cams used while kayaking on occasion. Now I'm wondering if the "pluck-n-pull" foam that came in the case is closed-cell. 🤔

If the foam in your case was soaked like a sponge then it's open-cell.

For a long time I've gone with stainless steel for revolvers for better wet weather protection, and I Cerakote my main hunting rifles for the same.

So moisture isn't good for guns long term. However.... I have had my weapons in rivers, lakes, and so on. As long as it's cleaned and oiled the water or moisture will have a less affect on the gun. The thing about your situation is condensation can happen in many unexpected times. Like some have noted, the AC in your vehicle with a hot gun trapped in a case could potentially cause it. Or just plain humidity from the weather could cause it. However... You might try considering a better case. A quality gun case should prevent your problem in most situations.

If the foam in your case was soaked like a sponge then it's open-cell.

For a long time I've gone with stainless steel for revolvers for better wet weather protection, and I Cerakote my main hunting rifles for the same.
No water intrusion of the case, but the article did get me to thinking about the type of foam Pelican's pull-n-pluck is made from.

Pelican makes a good case, to transport. I wouldn’t store anything in there long term. If you had to I would use a grease on the exterior, barrel, bolt ect. Like stated above stainless will offer the best corrosion resistance, but still can rust. Cerakote will also help. I’m a big fan of that. I personally don’t store anything in cases unless I’m transporting them.

So moisture isn't good for guns long term. However.... I have had my weapons in rivers, lakes, and so on. As long as it's cleaned and oiled the water or moisture will have a less affect on the gun. The thing about your situation is condensation can happen in many unexpected times. Like some have noted, the AC in your vehicle with a hot gun trapped in a case could potentially cause it. Or just plain humidity from the weather could cause it. However... You might try considering a better case. A quality gun case should prevent your problem in most situations.
Switched cases yesterday on that note

Back