testtest

Pit Bulls

I’ve seen a neighbors golden retriever be more aggressive to kids than my good friends pit bull.

If dogs are truly descendants of wolves or ancient wild dogs, then my guess is all dogs can be equally tame or aggressive ??🤔🤔🤔
You know killer that’s not the first time I heard about those golden retriever they are supposed to be so mellow

When I walk Maggie I always have pepper spray and a gun. I have sprayed numerous dogs while on a walk and I have shot two neighborhood dogs when they have attacked me. I don't mess around with them anymore. If they don't get scared off, or pepper spray doesn't work the lead sleeping pill is used.

You never see an article about a pack of killer beagles.
That's because Beagles are naturally stealthy creatures. Our Beagle can escape any leash or harness devised by man, and can steal food stored in locations that should be inaccessible to any 4-legged creature. She has made it clear that she stays with our family strictly by choice, because she could easily escape any fenced enclosure. I would not put it past Beagles to have killed thousands throughout history, but to have never been caught because they always make it look like an accident.

That's because Beagles are naturally stealthy creatures. Our Beagle can escape any leash or harness devised by man, and can steal food stored in locations that should be inaccessible to any 4-legged creature. She has made it clear that she stays with our family strictly by choice, because she could easily escape any fenced enclosure. I would not put it past Beagles to have killed thousands throughout history, but to have never been caught because they always make it look like an accident.
You can tell by that sneaky look in their eyes
1662916324181.png

My job largely consists of going into people's homes, and these people are all convicted criminals. That's why I am there. They are pretty much all convicted of felonies, and most of those have several, separate convictions. Of all of the people I see, I'd say about half have pets, and most of those have pitbulls. In my personal experience, I have found them to be the friendliest pets out there. In my 3 years I have never had one issue with any. And these are people that really don't want me in their hosues, and people that you wouldn't expect to be responsible pet owners.

So this is just my personal anecdote, of course, but I don't see anythign to suggest that pitts are any more dangeroud than any other breed.
If anything, I would say it's two things behind the statistics. One, is just the sheer number of pits and pit mixes. Take a look at your local shelter, I bet at least half are pits or mixes. They are everywhere. Probably one of the most common breeds. Two, on the occasion they do attack, they just tend to do more damage. But your chances of actually getting attacked by a pit vs anything else, as far as breed vs breed, isn't any higher.

My youngest daughter is a trauma doc in a large metro trauma center. If you know anybody who works in an ER ask them about dog bites. I know a lot of folks here are fans of pit bulls and that's ok. But they are capable of doing terrible damage. Other breeds as well but the stats on pit bulls is disproportionate. In a perfect world owners would keep them under control and not bring out the aggression. Unfortunately there are a lot of irresponsible, mean, or clueless owners. Unprincipled breeders are also to blame for much of the trouble with this breed. Professional trainers will tell you when selecting a dog breed, look at what it was bred for. Many of the pit bulls I encountered in the hood over the years were bred for aggression to satisfy some macho need in prospective owners. If you get a pup out of that line of dogs you are much more likely to have a bad outcome.

My daughter had a friend that had a baby and pit bull and the woman would rave about how wonderful and kind her pit bull was, and how gentle it was with her baby. Right up till the day the Pit Bull tore her baby apart.

We had a neighbor with Pit Bull, that had bit two people and another dog, one person was fairly serious injured and the dog was very seriously injured. But two of the bites occurred in one incident, so the authorities only counted it as 2 bit incidents, we had to wait until the dog bit a third person before the authorities would force her to get rid of the dog. The woman was in total denial, all she would say when people insist she do something, was we were all ignorant of the breed, she watches the dog be totally gentle with her children, he never bit anyone. :cautious:

Aggression is a learned trait?
I had a mixed breed rescue Beagle, the dog would point perfectly at squirrels or any other potential prey.....
But no one every taught the dog how to do that?
Aggression very much is a natural trait, as well as many other things.

BUT, all traits and their prominence is nature vs nurture....
A Beagle can be an aggressive dog that bites people if it has been nurtured improperly.

I've met many wonderful Pit Bulls, but I'm sorry, I will not get one, nor have one around children. Like I said, first hand experience, a well nurtured Pit Bull that appeared wonderful, up and one day tore a baby apart.

My daughter had a friend that had a baby and pit bull and the woman would rave about how wonderful and kind her pit bull was, and how gentle it was with her baby. Right up till the day the Pit Bull tore her baby apart.

We had a neighbor with Pit Bull, that had bit two people and another dog, one person was fairly serious injured and the dog was very seriously injured. But two of the bites occurred in one incident, so the authorities only counted it as 2 bit incidents, we had to wait until the dog bit a third person before the authorities would force her to get rid of the dog. The woman was in total denial, all she would say when people insist she do something, was we were all ignorant of the breed, she watches the dog be totally gentle with her children, he never bit anyone. :cautious:

Aggression is a learned trait?
I had a mixed breed rescue Beagle, the dog would point perfectly at squirrels or any other potential prey.....
But no one every taught the dog how to do that?
Aggression very much is a natural trait, as well as many other things.

BUT, all traits and their prominence is nature vs nurture....
A Beagle can be an aggressive dog that bites people if it has been nurtured improperly.

I've met many wonderful Pit Bulls, but I'm sorry, I will not get one, nor have one around children. Like I said, first hand experience, a well nurtured Pit Bull that appeared wonderful, up and one day tore a baby apart.
I totally agree I just don’t trust them period love to have one they are beautiful animals I will never own one you hear to many horror story about them it’s in the breed

2 pit bulls attacked my brother's horse. Torn her up pretty good. No reason other than mean. Now I love dogs however I see a loose pit bull he will be DRT. My brother shot killed 1 the other turned to attack him, he shot it, it lost a leg. The owners took it to the vet, the dog lives bout .25 mile down the road. If he's ever loose again ....

Back