testtest

Plan B

Sld1959

Hellcat
Always got to have a plan B, C, etc. until you feel comfortable. Well , initiating my plan B right now. Got very high winds and we lost electricity. No problem, will get out the generator, heck I started it a couple months ago, I start it generally every three months.

Well, after an hour messing with it generator won't start. No idea what's up but it's real cloudy and it's getting dark already, and i still have to go pick up my 89 yo mother who is also without, problem...

Ok time for plan B. Getting out the battery lanterns, coolers are ready if I need to make an ice run. Everyone will have a pocket flashlight for navigation So, pretty much set, think I will grab some burgers so no need for cleanup. Got the Farkle game out for entertainment...

No need for the candles or the kerosene lanterns or propane lanterns and buddy heaters, it's almost 70 in here.

Have a fun evening gentlemen.

Always got to have a plan B, C, etc. until you feel comfortable. Well , initiating my plan B right now. Got very high winds and we lost electricity. No problem, will get out the generator, heck I started it a couple months ago, I start it generally every three months.

Well, after an hour messing with it generator won't start. No idea what's up but it's real cloudy and it's getting dark already, and i still have to go pick up my 89 yo mother who is also without, problem...

Ok time for plan B. Getting out the battery lanterns, coolers are ready if I need to make an ice run. Everyone will have a pocket flashlight for navigation So, pretty much set, think I will grab some burgers so no need for cleanup. Got the Farkle game out for entertainment...

No need for the candles or the kerosene lanterns or propane lanterns and buddy heaters, it's almost 70 in here.

Now i want to know what’s wrong with the generator.
Hope the power comes back on soon.

Hope all is well in the end Sld1959. Are you without electricity because of bad weather or what? Not knowing your location makes it hard to guess.

Well duhh, you did mention it was getting dark and cloudy ........... I guess the smart ones among us would guess that's bad weather!!! LOL! LOL! But then there's me!

I had a 7000 watt generator and I had it converted to propane.
I never had to worry about the gas going bad or having to put in additives for long term storage, started every time.
That conversion can also work on natural gas.
This house I am going to price a whole house generator.
Good Luck !!!!

Hope all is well in the end Sld1959. Are you without electricity because of bad weather or what? Not knowing your location makes it hard to guess.

Well duhh, you did mention it was getting dark and cloudy ........... I guess the smart ones among us would guess that's bad weather!!! LOL! LOL! But then there's me!
I have had steady 30mph winds all day, thankfully the lights are still on.

I will say if it’s stored with gas in it, ad some Sta-Bil to it, I have done this with my atv’s when they were stored for winter, hope you get power back on soon

I will say if it’s stored with gas in it, ad some Sta-Bil to it, I have done this with my atv’s when they were stored for winter, hope you get power back on soon
Totally agree here. I use marine Sta-Bil in my generator. I run it every month and if bad weather is coming, I will run it before it gets here. It's always the way. If it's going to crap out, always finds a way to do it when you need it. I have had 3 neighbors that has happen to in the last 5 years or less.

Good luck riding out the storm.

for my power equipment, which consists of snow removal, i use top tier super unleaded....Shell, Mobil

then i add Sta-bil, and a tad bit more than the directions say.

then i add another chemical, one that counter-acts the ethanol in the gasoline, as i have had THAT CRAP (ethanol) destroy my fuel lines.

i'd suggest the above, but most importantly, run the generator to near empty, and fill with fresh fuel every 3 months as well.

I had a generator, purchased at Cabela’s for my travel trailer. Great unit, started every time and used it multiple times at campgrounds that had issues with supplying consistent electricity.
(Mostly when I camped in Tennessee)
The only problem was it was loud.
Sometimes I wished I’d kept it when I sold the camper, I’ve been looking at the Honda units but I just don’t have the need at this time.

I would check the gas as well as the spark plug, could be fouled.

for my power equipment, which consists of snow removal, i use top tier super unleaded....Shell, Mobil

then i add Sta-bil, and a tad bit more than the directions say.

then i add another chemical, one that counter-acts the ethanol in the gasoline, as i have had THAT CRAP (ethanol) destroy my fuel lines.

i'd suggest the above, but most importantly, run the generator to near empty, and fill with fresh fuel every 3 months as well.
I have found that the ethanol that they add to the gas can be the cause the hard to start problem. I use the canned gas in my chain saws and weed eaters and they start without a problem. In central Va ethanol free gas can be found at many boat marinas east of Richmond.

Suggestion: Seafoam I add a cup to two gallons of unleaded gas, NO Alcohol. My chainsaws can sit for 2 years and still start. Another hint: Fogging oil. Pull spark plugs and spray into the cylinder. It limits ring and cylinder wear on startup after storage.

Last edited:
Suggestion: Seafoam I add a cup to two gallons of unleaded gas, NO Alcohol. My chainsaws can sit for 2 years and still start. Another hint: Fogging oil. Pull spark plugs and spray into the cylinder. It limits ring and cylinder wear on startup after storage.
i used to do that with all my snow equipment. then i just stopped.

to get to the spark plugs on 2 machines, it's a PITA to remove the covers, and snake my hand into the machines.

the "bigger" machine, the spark plug sits in the wide open, but i still just do not "fog it" after the season is over.

Thanks for all the suggestions fellows. I always store with Stabil and have never had an issue. It's getting up there in years so maybe getting cranky. Will look at it today and see what's going on.

Power came back on just about time we were all headed to bed.

I have found that the ethanol that they add to the gas can be the cause the hard to start problem. I use the canned gas in my chain saws and weed eaters and they start without a problem. In central Va ethanol free gas can be found at many boat marinas east of Richmond.
"canned gasoline" is available here too, but at "select" hardware stores, and at a much higher price than super unleaded...

i never tried it, simply due to the cost.

then too, its not always in stock.

That be the truth. Sad thing about getting old is that you find yourself with a lot of old possessions, which may or may not work, depending on the day.

I've had an old Coleman Powermate for about 15-20 years. One year I couldn't get it started. I had my neighbor ( now deceased) work it over and never had another problem. Until last year when we lost power. I did get it started, but the run/stop switch broke and the only way to kill it is to choke it. Then I discovered the valve under the tank is leaking a little bit. Nevertheless, as old as it is it still fires right up. I also have a bigger newer generator but there's no reason to get rid of the old one just because it has a few issues. I have a few issues and I haven't went to Skynet for an upgraded model so....

That be the truth. Sad thing about getting old is that you find yourself with a lot of old possessions, which may or may not work, depending on the day.
I've had an old Coleman Powermate for about 15-20 years. One year I couldn't get it started. I had my neighbor ( now deceased) work it over and never had another problem. Until last year when we lost power. I did get it started, but the run/stop switch broke and the only way to kill it is to choke it. Then I discovered the valve under the tank is leaking a little bit. Nevertheless, as old as it is it still fires right up. I also have a bigger newer generator but there's no reason to get rid of the old one just because it has a few issues. I have a few issues and I haven't went to Skynet for an upgraded model so....
and no matter what, those old machines, heavy as some may be, are still on another's hope list when you die.

the old "stuff" can be rebuilt more than once, some times we have to "jerry-rig" parts to them, but they still work.

as we all know, the past couple of decades, we became a society of obsolescence, and throw away.

gimme a good old fashion, 500 pound GE fridge anyday, over these 100 pound plastic ones.....

keep what you have, as i do too. all my snow equipment is like 25 years or older, tanks they are, and fixable....most times, with bailing wire, a pair of pliers and a hammer.....

Back