testtest

Playing records ~ Vintage stereo from the 70's

We have one of those. Used it to transfer my wife's grandfather's records to CD. He had a Polish Polka Band and they had made some records. His name was Johnny Bomba.
LOL my father loved polka. When I was a very young kid, we would take a trip to Wisconsin and visit the grandparents.
We ended up in some ole time german juke joint and sure enough they were playing Polka.

While they all had plenty of Biers with the fish fry special, all I got were sodas and a fish that tasted like a cardboard box ❗

I'm not sure what qualifies as "Vintage"
FB_IMG_1711897715706.jpg

Stock Photo.

I quit doing vinyl when I joined the army it was too much to move when I PCS'd and my albums were almost guaranteed to get broken anyway.

In 1993 my father died. I don't remember what my inheritance was (it wasn't much) but I wanted to buy something that I would keep for the rest of my life to remember him by.

So I went to the BX on Peterson Air Force Base and I bought the very last Kenwood mini bookshelf system that they had.

Of the original system all I have left is a receiver, the Equalizer and the speakers. The original CD player crapped out after about 15 years and I ended up throwing the tape deck away. I bought a replacement CD player that was compatible with the system but I almost never use it.

I found out that I could have the best system in the world and because of my hearing I miss about half of the music.

20240331_093049.jpg

I've said this before but while not Vintage this is most certainly the best sound system I have ever owned.

The very first time I listened to The Dark Side Of The Moon on these I was amazed.

imagine a stereo system that is specifically tuned to overcome all of your hearing deficiencies.

The best part is that if I'm sitting in the living room with my wife and she's watching something on television that I have no interest in I can pick up my phone and I have my entire music collection at my fingertips and I can listen to it without her even realizing that's what I'm doing.

the last time I went to see my dentist for a cleaning I listened
to Wish You Were Here the whole time he was working on me.

I knew a guy that had them six foot tall klipsch horns, good gawd them were awesome.
The best sounding system I ever had though was a PA rig I sold for Pennies on the dollar after I disbanded my last band.
A pair of Yorkville LS801p 18” powered subs, Yamaha DSR12 tops and fills and an Allen & Heath Mixwizard board. For about a month after I quit gigging I had it set up in my living room. It was ridiculous. 🤣🤣

This is another thing that I think I've talked about before.

When I was in high school I had a friend who owned over 1,500 albums. He said that he had helped a neighbor clean out his attic and the neighbor had gifted him several Peach Crates full of albums from the early '60s on in return.

I thought that was the coolest thing ever and I wanted a collection of albums like that.

Long story short, throughout my lifetime (58) have probably accumulated over 600 CDs.

I have 136 of them on my phone.

Of the 136 I listen to maybe 15 of them regularly.

Of the 15, the two that I listen to the most are an album called Colors by a duo called Ivory Sessions and an album called Dark Night of the Soul by a piano player named Philip Wesley.

I am absolutely positive that's this music collection that I spent a lifetime amassing is going to end up in the dumpster.

I think about that every time I find a CD that I just have to buy

This is another thing that I think I've talked about before.

When I was in high school I had a friend who owned over 1,500 albums. He said that he had helped a neighbor clean out his attic and the neighbor had gifted him several Peach Crates full of albums from the early '60s on in return.

I thought that was the coolest thing ever and I wanted a collection of albums like that.

Long story short, throughout my lifetime (58) have probably accumulated over 600 CDs.

I have 136 of them on my phone.

Of the 136 I listen to maybe 15 of them regularly.

Of the 15, the two that I listen to the most are an album called Colors by a duo called Ivory Sessions and an album called Dark Night of the Soul by a piano player named Philip Wesley.

I am absolutely positive that's this music collection that I spent a lifetime amassing is going to end up in the dumpster.

I think about that every time I find a CD that I just have to buy
I will purge most of my CD collection and trade what I no longer want at a local shop for a few things that I do want, but I first need to establish the value of what I have to trade.

Vintage can be a lot of things.
Yes sir. Classic, antique, rare, vintage, collectible, retro mean different things to different groups of people and their accepted definitions often overlap the definitions other groups use. In this particular case I use 'vintage' to define the period of origin or manufacture, the 1970's.

I swapped out the CD changer for an older one that sounds a little better, and I also added a small powered subwoofer. The subwoofer frees up the JBLs so the can do what they do best while the sub handles the lower frequencies, this clears up the vocals and I here more detail from the instruments.

What a hobby.

IMG_1809.sub.JPG

I cleaned, treated and waxed the speakers cabinets... that eliminated most of the cigarette smell but there is nothing I can do about the odor permanently attached to the individual speakers and inside the port - that's forever.

Last edited:
Back