testtest

Porting an EMT

Anyone who has actual experience with porting an EMP4 who can comment on whether it makes a difference for them in accuracy at 25 yards or felt recoil?
I’m thinking of doing this but don’t have any stats on the improvement in performance if any. It voids the warranty!
Please just comment on your actual experience if you’ve done this to your EMP4. Thanks.

I can't speak for the EMP, nor in fact porting a pistol. I have owned a ported Witness compact 45 acp pistol but it was ported when I bought it second hand. It was an accurate pistol, seemingly as accurate as a similar 45 Witness compact I shot, but less felt recoil impulse.

However I have had Magnaport Int. port a 3 inch 44 special revolver, a 4.5 inch 44 magnum revolver and a 3 inch .357 magnum revolver all after buying and shooting them. There was no noticeable change in accuracy. An increase in muzzle flash and noise was noticeable.

But my arthretic hands sure noticed a difference in the pounding they took also.

Last edited:
I would appreciate a reduction in felt recoil as a benefit on a large caliber pistol or revolver, but I wonder if it’s really that noticeable with a 9mm. I had thought that a reduction in muzzle flip would improve accuracy in a fast shooting situation, but again, this may only be beneficial for larger calibers than 9mm. Thanks for your reply.

Given the experiences I have had with ported handguns I would postulate that that yes, the shooter could feel a difference in recoil impulse, and muzzle flip in medium calibers also. Due to that the user would experience faster recovery time. How much of course this would be noticeable and useful would be up to the individuals training and experience.

I know when I shoot 38 specials through the ported .357 magnum I can feel the difference as opposed to a non ported .38 special revolver. Does the .stainless steel model 60 need porting to comfortably fire .38s, no, but it is noticeable.

Another consideration is resale value, porting may indeed lower resale value. If you have any doubts about having it ported, both in utility and value I would suggest not doing so.

It voids the manufacturers warranty on most firearms. From what you’re saying, it’s probably not worth it for a 9mm. It would have to be a significant difference to justify the potential hassles.

In small 9mm pistols, it definitely makes a difference.
FA25CC8D-E36E-4DE2-BFAA-8D4809B3C6A3.jpeg

This is a buddy shooting a S&W Performance Center Shield in 9mm. When shot side by side with an imported model, follow up shots were over a tenth of a second faster with the porting, and given similar accuracy.

As for voiding the warranty…BFD. If the pistol is running reliably now, you probably won’t need it…and if you do, Springfield will still work on it AS LONG AS the damage/problem is not a result of the porting.

So—go for it.

It voids the manufacturers warranty on most firearms. From what you’re saying, it’s probably not worth it for a 9mm. It would have to be a significant difference to justify the potential hassles.
I am not sure I said it does not work in medium calibers, it does. But how much it would work, for you, is subjective. I am obviously biased towards the process.

What I did say. Is if you have doubts of its usefulness and the possible hit to resale, I would pass, at least until you settle doubts on your mind.

I guess it depends on how sensitive you are to light recoil. My Shield .40 is ported. When I shot it side by side with my psycho combat marine buddy Steve's non ported version I couldn't tell a difference. As far as I have been able to ascertain it's only real function is to put a bunch of crap all over the front sight every time I shoot it.

Back