testtest

Poss mag problem?

Hey, folks...New guy here. I just bought my first Springfield a few days ago, an XD .45acp Mod 2 Service model. Great gun, but I'm having an issue which may be related to the mags.
Both mags were difficult to load to their full 13 round capacity. When they were fully loaded one wouldn't fully seat in the gun, the other seated with difficulty. Having seated it was nearly impossible to depress the mag release on either side.
I tried two different brands and types of ammo with the same result. If I left the 13th round out they both seated fine.
Any idea what the problem might be and how I might resolve it?

Stiff springs. A few dozen compression cycles should take care of it. I’d recommend getting an UPLULA to load the mags; might make getting that last round in easier.

As far as trouble inserting the mags, lock the slide to the rear first and then insert the mag. Drop the slide to charge.

I have an XDM in 10mm and 40s&w no problem with mag fully loaded and slide closed too use mag release. Does it have an ambi mag release? If so it has a memory of either left or right release. With mag out push the release repeatedly going the same direction. Close slide and insert mag and try again. Like Hans said the mag can have a stiff spring being new and may take some use too loosen up a bit!

Stiff springs. A few dozen compression cycles should take care of it. I’d recommend getting an UPLULA to load the mags; might make getting that last round in easier.

As far as trouble inserting the mags, lock the slide to the rear first and then insert the mag. Drop the slide to charge.
Great advice. Thank you, HansGruber.

I have an XDM in 10mm and 40s&w no problem with mag fully loaded and slide closed too use mag release. Does it have an ambi mag release? If so it has a memory of either left or right release. With mag out push the release repeatedly going the same direction. Close slide and insert mag and try again. Like Hans said the mag can have a stiff spring being new and may take some use too loosen up a bit!
I'll give it a shot! (Pun partially intended)

Hey, folks...New guy here. I just bought my first Springfield a few days ago, an XD .45acp Mod 2 Service model. Great gun, but I'm having an issue which may be related to the mags.
Both mags were difficult to load to their full 13 round capacity. When they were fully loaded one wouldn't fully seat in the gun, the other seated with difficulty. Having seated it was nearly impossible to depress the mag release on either side.
I tried two different brands and types of ammo with the same result. If I left the 13th round out they both seated fine.
I had that same problem until the springs were broke in I have had my Springfield Armory XDM OSP 9mm 19 round Magazine fully loaded for over a year and an aftermarket 19 round 9mm pro mag just to compare & see if one or both or none would still function and both functioned flawlessly after sitting for over a year fully loaded.
https://gunmagwarehouse.com/promag-springfield-xdm-9-9mm-19-round-blue-steel-magazine.html

ProMag Springfield Armory XDM 9 9mm 32-Round Blue Steel Magazine!

Heat-treated carbon steel construction, chrome silicon internal springs, clear-cut witness holes, and rugged polymer baseplates combine to make ProMag extended magazines an amazing value. Springfield’s groundbreaking XDM polymer pistols combined the classic 1911 grip angle with interchangeable backstraps, aggressive texturing, and other key ergonomic features to set a new standard for combat-ready polymer pistol performance. With ProMag’s special anti-fatigue springs, these extended magazines can be stored loaded, long-term, without having to worry about wear & tear. And as always, they come with ProMag’s lifetime replacement guarantee. Pick up a few spare extended magazines for your XDM 9mm pistol today! 33 rounds fully loaded XDM 9MM Pistol is mucho firepower
https://gunmagwarehouse.com/promag-springfield-xdm-9-9mm-32-round-blue-steel-magazine.html
Blue states tuff crap you can't have one!

I had that same problem until the springs were broke in I have had my Springfield Armory XDM OSP 9mm 19 round Magazine fully loaded for over a year and an aftermarket 19 round 9mm pro mag just to compare & see if one or both or none would still function and both functioned flawlessly after sitting for over a year fully loaded.
https://gunmagwarehouse.com/promag-springfield-xdm-9-9mm-19-round-blue-steel-magazine.html

Just being compressed doesn’t wear out springs—cycles do...that is, the process of loading and unloading them when shooting.

A year is nothing; I was called by family friends because I was a “gun guy” when their grandmother passed away; seems their grandfather’s gun was discovered in his bedside table drawer.

The grandfather passed away in the early 1970’s; I was called in the early 2000’s. I showed up (nobody wanted to touch it), and found a nice WW2 1911A1...with a fully loaded 7rd magazine (also WW2 vintage). I cleared it, and they asked me to check if it was functional...took it home, quick tore it down, lubed it, did function checks...and put that 60 year old magazine, that sat loaded for about 30 years, through it...no issues.

The myth of mag springs taking a “set” is very much a myth.

You might like these they are well made and fit your xd .enjoy shooting that pistol

ProMag Springfield XDM .45 ACP 13-Round Blue Steel Magazine
https://gunmagwarehouse.com/promag-springfield-xdm-45-acp-13-round-blue-steel-magazine.html

ProMag Springfield Armory XDM .45 ACP 25-Round Blue Steel Magazine
https://gunmagwarehouse.com/promag-springfield-xdm-45-acp-25-round-blue-steel-magazine.html

Just being compressed doesn’t wear out springs—cycles do...that is, the process of loading and unloading them when shooting.

A year is nothing; I was called by family friends because I was a “gun guy” when their grandmother passed away; seems their grandfather’s gun was discovered in his bedside table drawer.

The grandfather passed away in the early 1970’s; I was called in the early 2000’s. I showed up (nobody wanted to touch it), and found a nice WW2 1911A1...with a fully loaded 7rd magazine (also WW2 vintage). I cleared it, and they asked me to check if it was functional...took it home, quick tore it down, lubed it, did function checks...and put that 60 year old magazine, that sat loaded for about 30 years, through it...no issues.

The myth of mag springs taking a “set” is very much a myth.
Did they offer to sell that old 1911 ? I bet it was nice to hold that old pistol God knows where it had been in its time of service in WWII if that old pistol could only talk .

Did they offer to sell that old 1911 ? I bet it was nice to hold that old pistol God knows where it had been in its time of service in WWII if that old pistol could only talk .

They didn’t; one of the grandsons (possibly great grandson?) was in the military, and it went to him.

But I did tell them initially that if they were going to sell it, I would be more than interested...it was a Colt slide on a R-R frame...typical mixmaster rearsenal surplus that you could get back in the day for $15...

It was fun to shoot. I ended up putting about 50 or so rounds through it in total...just to be certain it functioned completely reliably...;). Gave it a detail strip and thorough cleaning afterwards.

Hey OP, couple things from your post I would try and you may have. Load your mags, and it will help by someway pushing up with the mag and down with the ammo. Once the mags are loaded make sure the slide is locked back and insert the mag, see if it goes in easier than it does or did/would with a closed slide. Another thing, do not be afraid to hit the butt of the mag to seat it. I’m not saying take everything you have but seat the mag, lift the pistol up with your strong hand and with your weak hand/palm hit the mag on the base and make sure it’s seated.
With the slide open deal, I’m wanting to see if it easier, not something that should have to be done but something that can be done. As the others have said it will get easier to load with time.

Pro Mag..........
49BC5B4F-B651-4EF9-BB5C-C5EB2824862B.gif

Hey OP, couple things from your post I would try and you may have. Load your mags, and it will help by someway pushing up with the mag and down with the ammo. Once the mags are loaded make sure the slide is locked back and insert the mag, see if it goes in easier than it does or did/would with a closed slide. Another thing, do not be afraid to hit the butt of the mag to seat it. I’m not saying take everything you have but seat the mag, lift the pistol up with your strong hand and with your weak hand/palm hit the mag on the base and make sure it’s seated.
With the slide open deal, I’m wanting to see if it easier, not something that should have to be done but something that can be done. As the others have said it will get easier to load with time.
sounds good. I hadn't tried that.

I have to agree about the cycling that is the only way to make things easier. Also I bought an Uplula when I bought my Sig P365 after breaking 2 cheap loaders. You can't convince me Sig doesn't have stock in Uplula after designing that mag. Anyway I started using the Uplula a lot. It makes life really easy since manufacturer's are trying to squeeze so many rounds into mags these days,

Back