testtest

Potent Potables (aka What’s your poison?)

I've been enjoying a number of local Oktoberfest beers today; one of my favorite beer styles...got me wondering, what do others enjoy?

I will say, the krauts in New Ulm, MN (Schell's Brewery, one of the longest continuously operating breweries in the US) has the Bavarians beat this year...much better than Paulaner or Haaker-Pschorr...

I try to avoid anything out of a bottle since, IMO, pasturizing changes the beer from what it tastes like out of the tap.

AL canned micro's don't seem to change as much.

I'm fortunate that I have a plethora of breweries in my area, and they all stayed operational during the worst of the shutdown with growler take-outs.

We have one brewery that is run by a German-expat so he makes really nice authentic German style beers, plus they have a eatery with some excellent German food.

I'm just a simple man who enjoys simple pleasures, so I wouldn't know a 'specialty' beer if was running down my throat. And often when finding how hard it is to acquire any certain specialty brand, I simply run out of patience and go buy my old standby ..... Miller Draft! Was introduced to it many years ago and liked it, so why not stay with it. As long as it's 'ice' cold! I can't stand pizz warm beer or fresh woke up woman. I'd rather take an azz whippin' than to suffer through with either of them.

Like I said, I'm a very simple man who requires only very simple pleasures.

I'm just a simple man who enjoys simple pleasures, so I wouldn't know a 'specialty' beer if was running down my throat. And often when finding how hard it is to acquire any certain specialty brand, I simply run out of patience and go buy my old standby ..... Miller Draft! Was introduced to it many years ago and liked it, so why not stay with it. As long as it's 'ice' cold! I can't stand pizz warm beer or fresh woke up woman. I'd rather take an azz whippin' than to suffer through with either of them.

Like I said, I'm a very simple man who requires only very simple pleasures.
[/QUOTE

There is nothing wrong with "simple" as I am right there with you.

Well, now that you mention something other than beer, my usual is either Jack Daniels Old No7, or Maker's Mark 46 on the rocks with water by it. When I have an evening drink, or a drink with dinner, you can bet it'll be one or the other of those.

Never, never, never a so-called mixed drink. Just the idea of messing up a good sippin' whiskey or bourbon with Coke or anything similar is pure blasphemy!

My career took me to every US state except Alaska (still want to go) and all over Europe (including Russia) and Asia (China, 8 major cities, South Korea, Thailand, Taiwan, Singapore, Japan). I stayed with local beers wherever I traveled except Moscow, although I drank Baltika 3 when I had to (at their pro hockey tournament). The only good beer there was St. Petersburg's Nevskoe and Belgian Stella Artois (when they could get it) at The Tunnel (a former KGB interrogation facility converted to a bar/restaurant). Their RAM Stores (huge grocery store) carried all the good European beers though to stock the fridge at my hotel. The best place to be in Oktober (you guessed it Hans) was Munich! Eine grossen beer, brats, music, and sing-a-longs (in German) at the beer halls is hard to beat (my German sucks but my Russian gets rid of telemarketers- tried Mandarin Chinese (also bad) but there's one in every boiler room). Back in my home state (PA) now semi-retired after 35 years but still have my agent in NYC (in case an Alaska gig, or something else interesting, comes up). Here, I have Troegs Brewery as well as lots of smaller micro brewers around and Yuengling, which is America's oldest brewery. As far as liquor, Russian Standard Platinum Vodka, Crown Royal Reserve, Booker's Bourbon, Tanqueray Gin, and Jamaican Estates 12 year old Rum are favorites on rare occasions (only the gin gets mixed with tonic). Also quality red and fruit wines (not sweet) with dinner on occasion but not really a white wine fan.

Last edited:
jumpinjoe- I learned long ago from Luciano Pavarotti in a Master Class that warm Port or warm salt water is good for the vocal chords. Given that choice, if you're going to sing, I'd choose the Port...LOL! Although he did say, "Not too much!"
Works for me! I can't carry a tune in a bucket anyway. LOL! And remember what I said about the two things I can't stand .... pizz warm beer and fresh woke up woman! Both are too hard to deal with!

Works for me! I can't carry a tune in a bucket anyway. LOL! And remember what I said about the two things I can't stand .... pizz warm beer and fresh woke up woman! Both are too hard to deal with!
jumpinjoe- The more you drink, the better you think you sound and that "fresh woke up woman" will be less bothersome, at least until you awake with a hangover...LOL!

I'm a fan of Texas beers, but not too many of the ones that have become popular nationwide. Lakewood Brewery, Pearl, and Lone Star are constants, but Southern Star Bombshell Blonde is moving its way up the list. It's was the golden age of micro brews in my area before COVID, and I could probably hit 10-15 breweries without driving more than an hour from home. Most of them are still selling bottled product, but I can't wait for the governor to give the go ahead for bars to fully open up without having to pretend to be restaurants.

Years ago....black n' tan, or (preferably half-n-half - guinness and harp). Hot day, an ice cold Corona. Chill time? Aged single malt, with a good cigar. Mexican food? Nothing beats a good margarita. Visiting Wisconsin to see friends? Love me some Spotted Cow! Cold weather? Hot apple cider with 2 fingers of Cap'n Morgan spiced rum. And with all the local wineries, you just can't beat a good, local red. Visited Napa years ago, met an idol of mine (Les Claypool, of Primus fame) who now owns Pachyderm Cellars and makes one hell of a nice set of wines. Nice dry whites; good, full, spicy reds; and everything in between.

Now, that I have atrial flutter? Sometimes I'll have a cigar. I'll drink margarita mixes with no tequila. And just last week I discovered that Heineken "0" (no alcohol) actually tastes pretty damned good. My heart condition (an electrical imbalance that causes arrhythmia and a blood pressure drop) is aggravated by caffeine, and by alcohol, so until I qualify for surgery...I've had to cut both out of my diet. Which is fine - I exercise more, and drink more vitamin water, so all in all I guess it makes me more healthy. I guess.

So, all my wines are aging nicely in the cellar and my whiskys are mocking me (as they also age) from my display cabinet, knowing I can't touch any of them.

Hoist one for me...

Back