testtest

Primer pushed in after firing ???

Thanks for the suggestions & questions.
I was mainly just looking to see if anyone has seen such a thing before.

For Tex:
Western powder pdf w/ 5.56 data. Again max charge is listed as 25.8
Twice reloaded means 3x fired, that's correct.
I did work up the charge weight slowly, as stated in post #1
It was only 1 occurence out of the 20 rounds fired.

The only thing I can think is i possibly pressed a bit harder on my primer tool and rolled the edge in a little, setting it up for a further push from firing pin. But i would expect cartridge pressure upon firing wouldn't allow that. 🤷‍♂️
 
Thanks for the suggestions & questions.
I was mainly just looking to see if anyone has seen such a thing before.
Thanks for clarifying your real question. My answer is "Nope."

For Tex:
Western powder pdf w/ 5.56 data. Again max charge is listed as 25.8
Twice reloaded means 3x fired, that's correct.
I did work up the charge weight slowly, as stated in post #1
It was only 1 occurence out of the 20 rounds fired.
Interesting that nineteen rounds did not exhibit the issue, one did. Points to an issue other than the primer itself (probably).

The only thing I can think is i possibly pressed a bit harder on my primer tool and rolled the edge in a little, setting it up for a further push from firing pin. But i would expect cartridge pressure upon firing wouldn't allow that. 🤷‍♂️
You didn't state HOW or with WHAT you do your priming. It is certainly possible to deform primers while priming. Been there, done that, but none so much as to exhibit the strange appearance in the aftermath of firing like what you've posted

----
The mystery remains.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions & questions.
I was mainly just looking to see if anyone has seen such a thing before.

For Tex:
Western powder pdf w/ 5.56 data. Again max charge is listed as 25.8
Twice reloaded means 3x fired, that's correct.
I did work up the charge weight slowly, as stated in post #1
It was only 1 occurence out of the 20 rounds fired.

The only thing I can think is i possibly pressed a bit harder on my primer tool and rolled the edge in a little, setting it up for a further push from firing pin. But i would expect cartridge pressure upon firing wouldn't allow that. 🤷‍♂️
my guess if it happened in an ar the primer would've came out and the ba just made it bounce in if the primer wasn't tight/squared? pressure is most likely ok since it only happened in 1 case. if the pin pushed it in i'm surprised it fired as cci is known for harder cups
 
I'm stumped by what happened yesterday.

2nd round of testing Hornady 75 grain hpbt match bullet with TAC powder.
5.56 with 2.25 col, cci standard primer.
Western Powder lists the max load at 25.8 grains.

I did initial testing last week with 23.8 - 25.3 grains of powder.
I decided to just test 24.6 and 24.7 yesterday.
Primers flattened, not excessive, with minimal cratering.
weighted each load individually & hand primed each.
2825 average velocity w/ 24.7 grains, then this one shot hit 2908 fps and the primer appears pushed in, instead of flushed out to case head.
It was not pierced.

Never seen anything like this before. Anyone have a clue?
Same thing happened to me lat week on a .308 round. Factory load ammo.
Primer pushed all the way in. No detonation
 
Back
Top