testtest

Problem

MTT

Alpha
Anyone ever have this happen to their M1A?

M1A problem

The bolt with cycle a round after being shot and then the operating handle gets stuck and takes considerable force to force the operating handle back and open the bolt.

It’s been to the gun smith and they said there was no problems. They shot it and they couldn’t duplicate the problem (go figure). I just got it back from the smith and first shot it happened. When this happens I also get a light primer hit.

The smith told me that as unfortunate it is; I just need to keep putting rounds through it and the malfunctions will stop after the gun is broken in.

10% failure rate today. Used 149 and 147 grain.

Anyone ever have this happen to their M1A?

M1A problem

The bolt with cycle a round after being shot and then the operating handle gets stuck and takes considerable force to force the operating handle back and open the bolt.

It’s been to the gun smith and they said there was no problems. They shot it and they couldn’t duplicate the problem (go figure). I just got it back from the smith and first shot it happened. When this happens I also get a light primer hit.

The smith told me that as unfortunate it is; I just need to keep putting rounds through it and the malfunctions will stop after the gun is broken in.

10% failure rate today. Used 149 and 147 grain.
Is it properly lubed?

I would get some extra mags to test the issue with another mag and to have enough spares for your usage needs.

Are you limited to a certain mag capacity where you live?

Did the gunsmith use your ammo to test it or his. if he used something other than what you have and it functions i would say ammo problem.

I am presuming your problem only involves a live round being stuck.
My prime suspects would be a fouled chamber or out of spec ammo. If the bullets are too long or not seated deep enough and overall length of the cartridge is too great the bullet can get stuck in the rifling.
If you fired it you would not notice. Micrometer the overall length of your lot of cartridges, it should not exceed 2.81 inches

When this happens have you checked and noted the position of the bolt lugs. It sounds to me like it's binding and not going fully into battery. Make sure that left bolt lug is all the way up to the top of the receiver. Are there any unusual marks on spent rounds indicating a chamber issue, powder or corrosion build up.
Before you get too deep please don't tell me you're using cheap s**t Russian steel case ammo? It's garbage throw it away and get real brass case NATO for testing.
Personally I would break it down and check the movement of each individual part until you find the one that's binding. Move the bolt by itself foward into battery and back, when into battery does it close all the way easily, is the extractor binding on the barrel face, make sure the roller is free and not flat spotted anywhere, op rod engaged into the receiver foward and back by itself paying attention to the op rod guide under the barrel. Do the op rod check both out of and in the stock.
It's a fairly simple machine but like any a headache when it doesn't work properly. If all mechanical checks out it has to be the ammo.

Back