testtest

Prodigy 4.25" Front sight

Me too. For me that guy is actually several gunsmiths who won't even allow it in their shop and a Boeing engineer.
Because Boeing leaves bottle caps and cans in their fuel assemblies and The Air Force stopped all deliveries for QC. Bad example

Every man made machined object has issues.

Shoddy workmanship is one matter.
Fatigue of parts is completely different

Loc tite and plumbers tape exist for a reason, because they work

Because Boeing leaves bottle caps and cans in their fuel assemblies and The Air Force stopped all deliveries for QC. Bad example

Every man made machined object has issues.

Shoddy workmanship is one matter.
Fatigue of parts is completely different

Loc tite and plumbers tape exist for a reason, because they work
In other words it's ok to buy inferior products because you can just slather it up with LocTite.

They work. Until they don't.

Also I am pretty sure the engineers aren't the ones leaving bottle caps in fuel tanks. And this particular engineer and these particular gunsmiths are not hacks.

For the record, there is a Sig Romeo 5 ( inarguably a "Budget" low rent optic) that has been sitting on a KSG-25 being battered with thousands of rounds of 1 oz slugs, 3" magnums and enough 00B to fill an olympic sized swimming pool, with no Loctite and it's still dead on. I'm pretty sure if that Chinese optic can handle thousands of heavy 12 gauge loads without resorting to LocTite, your Vortex sitting on a 9mm will be just fine.

Nevertheless, Everything ain't for everybody. Slather those screws up if you want. Just do yourself a favor and if you ever need to remove those tiny #10 Torx screws to change a battery or whatever, be sure to use a Torx driver that isn't a POS. After you break 5 or 6 magnetic tips, trash the screw and have to drill it out you'll know why.

In other words it's ok to buy inferior products because you can just slather it up with LocTite.

They work. Until they don't.

Also I am pretty sure the engineers aren't the ones leaving bottle caps in fuel tanks. And this particular engineer and these particular gunsmiths are not hacks.

For the record, there is a Sig Romeo 5 ( inarguably a "Budget" low rent optic) that has been sitting on a KSG-25 being battered with thousands of rounds of 1 oz slugs, 3" magnums and enough 00B to fill an olympic sized swimming pool, with no Loctite and it's still dead on. I'm pretty sure if that Chinese optic can handle thousands of heavy 12 gauge loads without resorting to LocTite, your Vortex sitting on a 9mm will be just fine.

Nevertheless, Everything ain't for everybody. Slather those screws up if you want. Just do yourself a favor and if you ever need to remove those tiny #10 Torx screws to change a battery or whatever, be sure to use a Torx driver that isn't a POS. After you break 5 or 6 magnetic tips, trash the screw and have to drill it out you'll know why.
I’m pretty sure most firearms engineers dont intend their pins and parts to be left out by line workers, but it happens.

Humans fail.
Period.
Unless you remove all human interaction on assembly, you will have more % of problems than if a human was not involved.

Regardless of product. Regardless of price.

That’s why return policies and warranties exist.

We all know loc tite and tape exist across all manu products because a machine may be off a minuscule in its milling. Then got used in produxtion. But the other 5000000000 milled products didnt

Shall I continue ….

Man fails .. period

Edit: have you read over the decades the failures in space where those products have the highest tolerances in the known world, but space engineers use low tech band aids like loc tite. Maybe Apollo comes to mind ???

If you install a dot on your pistol and use blue loctite and you can’t taste it on your lips you’re not using enough!

Or is that Thai chicken wings and sriracha. I can’t remember, but I think one of them causes brain damage.

If you install a dot on your pistol and use blue loctite and you can’t taste it on your lips you’re not using enough!

Or is that Thai chicken wings and sriracha. I can’t remember, but I think one of them causes brain damage.
You're thinking of the purple loctite.

By the way, Sriracha will come off without using heat. :)

I’m pretty sure most firearms engineers dont intend their pins and parts to be left out by line workers, but it happens.

Humans fail.
Period.
Unless you remove all human interaction on assembly, you will have more % of problems than if a human was not involved.

Regardless of product. Regardless of price.

That’s why return policies and warranties exist.

We all know loc tite and tape exist across all manu products because a machine may be off a minuscule in its milling. Then got used in produxtion. But the other 5000000000 milled products didnt

Shall I continue ….

Man fails .. period

Edit: have you read over the decades the failures in space where those products have the highest tolerances in the known world, but space engineers use low tech band aids like loc tite. Maybe Apollo comes to mind ???
I'm not going to argue about loctite. I gave my ( valid) opinion, and you are entitled to yours. I've seen blue loctite become extremely difficult to release. I've also talked to a bunch of gunsmiths, most of whom say if you have to use loctite the threads are incorrect or the screws are junk. Loctite is usually recommended because manufacturers know most people won't bother to degrease the parts, dry and then torque correctly. If I was flying through space I may want a little mental insurance like some loctite. For a red dot on a 9mm I assure you it is far from necessary.

So I picked up the 4.25" Prodigy and took it to the range. A couple hiccups during firing but around the ~150 round mark I started hitting the target pretty far to the left. After finishing the magazine that was in and clearing it out I noticed that the front sight was drifting out of the slide. Anyone have this problem or hear of anyone else having this problem? It's to the point that I can freely slide the front sight in and out of the cut out.
So I just got it back, they had it for about a week and a half, and the receipt says they polished it and reamed the chamber, the rails on the frame also look like they've been polished. It also mentions that the disconnector was tested, not sure if they did anything to it but it does feel significantly smoother than it was. I ordered a 14lb Wollf spring so once I get the spring in Ill take it to the range and shoot with the original spring again and if any of the feeding problems persist ill swap springs and shoot some more

I'm not going to argue about loctite. I gave my ( valid) opinion, and you are entitled to yours. I've seen blue loctite become extremely difficult to release. I've also talked to a bunch of gunsmiths, most of whom say if you have to use loctite the threads are incorrect or the screws are junk. Loctite is usually recommended because manufacturers know most people won't bother to degrease the parts, dry and then torque correctly. If I was flying through space I may want a little mental insurance like some loctite. For a red dot on a 9mm I assure you it is far from necessary.
Scotty, I’m going to need more Loctite.

Cap’n, I’m an engineer, not some English plonker like SimonRL!

FYI my 4.25 does have a hole in the sight but not the slide. When I asked CS about it they said there is no set screw or pin so I just used red loctite. If it comes loose again I will send it in.

Well, maybe the factory forgot to put the roll pin in?

Or like me when I took the thing completely apart the first time, I din not look. When I removed my front with a sight pusher I sheared the roll pin. But I have others so I just replaced mine.
Xdman, I’m feeling a bit lost when it comes time the Prodigy having a roll pin to lock the front sight in place. A member over in 1911 addicts was having an issue with his Prodigy front sight. I told him to look at this thread ,that it might be of help.
anyway my confusion comes from someone else over on addicts forum stating there was no such pin on his Prodigy which he says he replaced the factory with another sight.
Did Springfield at some point stop using a roll pin and if so any idea why?

Xdman, I’m feeling a bit lost when it comes time the Prodigy having a roll pin to lock the front sight in place. A member over in 1911 addicts was having an issue with his Prodigy front sight. I told him to look at this thread ,that it might be of help.
anyway my confusion comes from someone else over on addicts forum stating there was no such pin on his Prodigy which he says he replaced the factory with another sight.
Did Springfield at some point stop using a roll pin and if so any idea why?
They must have because I just sent mine in and they drilled and pinned the front sight post on mine. Got it back today.

Loose sights are a problem, especially in heavier recoiling calibers. I have had a couple front sights fall out of the slide. Trijicon makes a specific front sight for .40 and .45, which has a thicker base than standard and has to be hand fit. I think to meet demand the manufacturers are just pressing the sights in that they receive and are not hand fitting each one. If the sight, or the dovetail is a little out of spec the sight will eventually move. Repeated or improper adjustment of the front sight can also cause problems. I think the best course of action with a loose front sight on a new gun is send it back to the factory.

They must have because I just sent mine in and they drilled and pinned the front sight post on mine. Got it back today.
I hope you have good luck now that it’s been fixed. The next time I take my Prodigy down I need to check if mine has a roll pin or not.

Back