testtest

Prodigy 5in w/HEX Dragonfly

Bear458

Alpha
Purchased yesterday, stripped it down completely last night, cleaned it, lubricated as directed. Ran it today with 124 gr, FMJ Norma 9mm. Plan was to run at least 500 rounds out of 2,000 round batch, using the 2 mags that came with the gun. All screws were torqued to spec with a torque wrench. No additional loctite added to screws. This isn't my first 1911 style pistol. I'm well aware of fitting issues, break in periods, etc... but....

Before 148 rounds the small protective glass on the back of the Dragonfly fell off. So there went the waterproof rating. Also the fiber optic rod flew out of front sight.

At 276 rounds the AOS mounting plate loosened up. (Added blue loctite to screws and retorqued)

Design flaw also needs to be fixed. The unessential/unnecessary "loaded chamber" hole allows carbon to spray the lens on the Dragonfly so I had to stop and clean it every 60 rounds so I could continue firing on a bright sunny day.

Bottom line: Pistol shoots flat, nice handling, pleasure to shoot. Too much money to spent for those "little issues" to happen on day 1.

Attachments

• 20230307_105235.jpg
    20230307_105235.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 106
Looks like the FO rod either didn’t have a big enough bulb melted on the end after installation or it broke off. Not a huge deal to remedy but neither issue should have happened.
Agreed. Worse is finding out the owners manual doesn't state the diameter of the fiber optic rod. Nor does the manaul or the SA website offer the replacement rods.

I got my Prodigy out on the weekend and noticed the rod had fallen out again. Granted it gets used a lot, but I’ve never had a fiber optic sight that breaks/falls out like this. It’s a range toy and has a DPP on it. I think I’m just going to go without it.

I got my Prodigy out on the weekend and noticed the rod had fallen out again. Granted it gets used a lot, but I’ve never had a fiber optic sight that breaks/falls out like this. It’s a range toy and has a DPP on it. I think I’m just going to go without it.
I am hopeful that this won't be an expensive range toy. My plan is to carry it regularly and to practice with it as much as possible. I have a nice collection of glocks that fit right after some dremel work and trigger work, but the grip angle of a 1911 with crisp trigger combined with 20 round mags make this a dream come true. AND it's still lighter than my Operator TRP with full rail and 10 round mag.

I just ordered some fiber optic rods by TRUGLO. Long sticks, multiple colors, and $11 on Midwayusa.

It seems like all of the problems you talk about, I've had also. My fiber optic rod fell out at the FFL the day I picked up my Prodigy. SA was good enough to have red and green replacement rods mailed to my house. Easy repair, but still frustrating.

I also bought my Prodigy with the Hex Dragonfly. Even though I don't like that the red dot has to be removed to replace the battery, I went with it anyway. I've had no problems with mine so far and it seems like an OK basic red dot, I doubt that I would do it again. There are just too many better red dots out there than the Hex.

I also had the same problem with the AOS mounting plate loosening even though blue loctite was used. I have since removed it all, cleaned and reinstalled using blue loctite again and torqueing everything to specs.. After letting the gun sit for a few days and the loctite set up, I went to the range and so far, knock on wood, it hasn't come loose again.

One of the most aggravating problems with my Prodigy is how the lens on the Hex fogs up so rapidly. I use only new, quality brass ammo, no reloads, and I have the same problem. After 40 to 50 rounds the lens gets so dirty that I have to stop and clean it. I've never had that problem with any other pistol and red dot. I'm not sure if it's that overhanging hood on the Hex that traps the gases and diverts them to the lens or what, but it is extremely irritating.

On a 2011 slide there just isn't that much room, and putting that loaded chamber indicator about 1/4" away from the red dot doesn't make any sense. Like I mentioned earlier, the Hex does have a little bit of a hood overhanging the lens so that might contribute to the problem by not allowing the gases to escape.

I did contact customer service at SA and explain the problem to them, telling them that I feel that it is both a safety hazard and a design flaw and asked for their suggestions. After over a week I am still waiting for SA to respond.

Another forum member mentioned a fix for the dirty lens on the red dot.....sending the barrel out and have the loaded chamber indicator welded and blended in to eliminate the hole completely. I hate having that done, but I may consider it. It's only $60 so it's cheap and should eliminate the problem. I'll pass along the link just in case you're interested.

https://dscgunworks.com/products/we...70310&pr_ref_pid=7760508551398&pr_seq=uniform

Thankfully that's all of the problems that I've encountered with my Prodigy. I've managed to hit 600 rounds without even a hiccup. The Prodigy is one of the most fun to shoot pistols that I own. I'm still very impressed with it despite the minor problems.

It seems like all of the problems you talk about, I've had also. My fiber optic rod fell out at the FFL the day I picked up my Prodigy. SA was good enough to have red and green replacement rods mailed to my house. Easy repair, but still frustrating.

I also bought my Prodigy with the Hex Dragonfly. Even though I don't like that the red dot has to be removed to replace the battery, I went with it anyway. I've had no problems with mine so far and it seems like an OK basic red dot, I doubt that I would do it again. There are just too many better red dots out there than the Hex.

I also had the same problem with the AOS mounting plate loosening even though blue loctite was used. I have since removed it all, cleaned and reinstalled using blue loctite again and torqueing everything to specs.. After letting the gun sit for a few days and the loctite set up, I went to the range and so far, knock on wood, it hasn't come loose again.

One of the most aggravating problems with my Prodigy is how the lens on the Hex fogs up so rapidly. I use only new, quality brass ammo, no reloads, and I have the same problem. After 40 to 50 rounds the lens gets so dirty that I have to stop and clean it. I've never had that problem with any other pistol and red dot. I'm not sure if it's that overhanging hood on the Hex that traps the gases and diverts them to the lens or what, but it is extremely irritating.

On a 2011 slide there just isn't that much room, and putting that loaded chamber indicator about 1/4" away from the red dot doesn't make any sense. Like I mentioned earlier, the Hex does have a little bit of a hood overhanging the lens so that might contribute to the problem by not allowing the gases to escape.

I did contact customer service at SA and explain the problem to them, telling them that I feel that it is both a safety hazard and a design flaw and asked for their suggestions. After over a week I am still waiting for SA to respond.

Another forum member mentioned a fix for the dirty lens on the red dot.....sending the barrel out and have the loaded chamber indicator welded and blended in to eliminate the hole completely. I hate having that done, but I may consider it. It's only $60 so it's cheap and should eliminate the problem. I'll pass along the link just in case you're interested.

https://dscgunworks.com/products/we...70310&pr_ref_pid=7760508551398&pr_seq=uniform

Thankfully that's all of the problems that I've encountered with my Prodigy. I've managed to hit 600 rounds without even a hiccup. The Prodigy is one of the most fun to shoot pistols that I own. I'm still very impressed with it despite the minor problems.
Yes, it's the hole in the barrel that blasting the optic. looks like a little volcano of black ash on the lens. I was just going to look for a bull barrel minus that silly hole. I don't mind the optic but I'm not going to spend money on upgrading to a Trijicon RMR or SRO. I do appreciate the accuracy the red dots offer.

I’m definitely sending my barrel off. Cheaper than putting a magwell on my grip and way more useful. The LCI is a dumb idea.

I have a Holosun 407c on my 4.25 prodigy, the LCI is not an issue keeping that glass clean…. 150 to 200 round range sessions and I don’t have any noticable film/dirt/powder on mine.

My front fiber fell out as well after I burned it once as it was loose, SA customer service is sending me some I expect to have soon.

My AOS plate loosened up after about 1500 rounds…but it was my fault. use a little too much and some seeped under the plate between the slide. I cleaned it up, a small dab of blue and torqued it back down. A couple thousand rounds later, no issue.

Springfield has some o

I agee, I sent and an email, Lexi responded, and now she's helping me with this Dragonfly optic and my Operator TRP.

I have a Holosun 407c on my 4.25 prodigy, the LCI is not an issue keeping that glass clean…. 150 to 200 round range sessions and I don’t have any noticable film/dirt/powder on mine.

My front fiber fell out as well after I burned it once as it was loose, SA customer service is sending me some I expect to have soon.

My AOS plate loosened up after about 1500 rounds…but it was my fault. use a little too much and some seeped under the plate between the slide. I cleaned it up, a small dab of blue and torqued it back down. A couple thousand rounds later, no issue.
Wish I had taken pictures of how dirty the sight glass was... looked like an upside down black triangle. When I get the optic fixed, I'll make sure to take pictures. I didn't finish reaching 500 rounds.

I have fiber optic sticks coming, holsters, Atlas tooless guide rod (I dislike 2-piece guide rods), and hopefully an RMA shipping label in the next few days.

I did see a few reviews of people experiencing the dirty glass from the LCI. Maybe an RMR will do better due to size and location? I'd like to try a Holosun like yours.

I'll make sure I add blue loctite to my mount and optic screws and let it cure for a day, when I get the HEX repaired.

ANYONE have ammo recommendations for the 5inch Prodigy? I know it was built to compete so I'm curious as to ammo grain and velocity.

Anyone try 115 gr, 124 gr (I like the 124gr from Norma), 147 gr or Heavier?
Anyone try +P or +P+ ?
Issues with hollow points or coated ammo?

With all of this talk about SA fine customer service, I contacted them by using the form on their website, asking for recommendations about what I believe is a design flaw or even a safety hazard with their loaded chamber indicator being only about 1/4" away from the red dot lens and spewing so much debris that it makes it almost impossible to see through the red dot. After over a week of waiting, nothing.

So I contacted them this time by phone. After describing the problem to the rep, he replied that he has heard this complaint before, but he has no suggestions other than trying another red dot. He said SA does not have a barrel without the chamber indicator so replacement is not an option.

Trying another red dot is an expensive chance because it would require buying another optics plate and another red dot (if I didn't have another one) on the outside chance that it might make a difference (I doubt it). It's not a problem with the Hex Dragonfly red dot, it's a problem because SA put an unnecessary loaded chamber indicator practically on top of the red dot front lens. If on the outside chance a different red dot made a difference, I would have wasted my money on a Hex red dot and mount that fits only Prodigys. So in the end that discussion went nowhere, but at least he was kind enough to listen.

My next question concerned the Hex red dot itself. I purchased my Prodigy with the Hex Dragonfly and when I first got the combo, I wasn't overly happy with the Hex, but it did it's job and it looked good. I've noticed lately that the red dot has changed from a relatively circular shaped red dot to a more fractured red dot surrounded by hundreds of little red specs. No amount of trying to clean the lens has made any difference.

I'm wondering if perhaps the hot gases containing small particles coming out of the chamber indicator are somehow fusing themselves onto the front lens. When I look through the red dot at an angle, it appears that there is a three dimensional look to the specs. It's hard to describe. At any rate, SA has sent a return authorization and has authorized replacing the Hex red dot. I wrapped it up and sent it away and it has arrived at SA today, Friday, and hopefully it won't take too long to receive a replacement. I'm eager to see just how much better this red dot looks and really eager to see if after shooting a few hundred rounds if the specs appear on this new red dot.

While I'm waiting for my replacement Hex red dot, I'm also considering sending the barrel away and having the chamber indicator welded and blended. It's relatively cheap to have done and it might be the ideal time to get it done. If there is any chance that the gases have caused the specs on the red dot lens, I would hate to have the new Hex have the same thing done to it. I don't really have any proof that is what caused the red dot damage, but it's a theory.
Just out of curiosity, has anyone else with the Hex Dragonfly (or any other brand of red dot) noticed this problem? If this chamber hole is spewing out hot particles that are damaging the red dot lens it seems like it would be affecting other red dots. Like I said, it's just a theory, it might be a problem with the Hex red dot and have nothing to do with the chamber hole.

Anyway, I have to give SA customer service a passing grade. I wish they could have offered a solution for the chamber indicator problem, but I understand as that's more of a poor decision by engineering to place the hole right next to the red dot. But as far as tackling the problem with the replacement Hex, I give them a thumbs up.

Back