testtest

Prodigy back from SA. Does it work?

I’ve been watching the crazy over the issues of this gun. I haven’t posted anywhere until now. I got my 4.25DS on day one. I have land so I shoot at my own range. I cleaned the gun seeing it was super dirty hopefully from “test firing” at the factory. Oh yeah let me get this out of the way. I KNOW ITS NOT A STI. Please don’t mention STI.THIS IS NOT ABOUT STIs.Only stating the start to finish prodigy saga.
Took 800 rds of assorted ball ammo. 115 135 147. All types and a few HP also but those aren’t cheap.
First mag, round wouldn’t load. 2nd another FTF.switched mags and a round fed. First shot then FTF. This continued for 300rds. Never not an issue. Called SA CS was great,sent gun out next day with letter detailing all issue’s.3 days after they received the pistol it was repaired and sent to me. If y’all want the work order I’ll post but this was it. Reamed barrel,extractor tuning,polish feed ramp.I thought no way in hell that’s all it needed. Work order was signed and certified safe and working pistol and they were freakin right. It’s like a new gun. They did send it back dirty as hell but I cleaned it good and went out back.disclaimer:stock recoil spring is 12lbs,I replaced with a 14lb wolf but I do that on most 1911..However,Not one failure for the next 500 rds of everything you could put through it except no steel case. No hang ups on the disconnecter,no sluggish slide,complete joy to shoot. I just thought SA deserved a little positive info on this gun since people love to hate it and to prove of you have a issue,send it back let the people that are supposed to do that stuff do it.You don’t have to replace parts or spend hours polishing unless that’s your thing. I prefer to be outback shooting.oh well that’s my prodigy experience.Not that it means much but I figured I’d post seeing there was nothing about any prodigy after it had came back from SA. Good luck all!

I think this just goes to show that when attention is paid to details everything works right, Springfield is never going to be able to have a Smith hand inspect every gun just based off of the sheer volume they're producing. The people that are complaining are the people that don't realize this is the first commercially mass produced "2011" and there are going to be some problems with it. I just hope they pin my front sight in this time lol

Welcome from DFW.

Thanks for the positive feedback. It’s nice to see someone taking a levelheaded approach to this and not burning the barn down. There’s quite a few of us on this forum.

I must say that there is part of me that wishes SA quality control had been better as the things they did to your Prodigy are also most people’s home-brewed fixes. How was there such a wide range of tolerances allowed to go out the door?

Welcome from DFW.

Thanks for the positive feedback. It’s nice to see someone taking a levelheaded approach to this and not burning the barn down. There’s quite a few of us on this forum.

I must say that there is part of me that wishes SA quality control had been better as the things they did to your Prodigy are also most people’s home-brewed fixes. How was there such a wide range of tolerances allowed to go out the door?
Nice to customer service doing things right.
As for tolerances there's 2 types "optimum tolerances " and "accepted tolerances " a gun with maybe 1 "accepted tolerance" will fly and still shoot perfectly but any more it won't,as maybe the reason some new guns have problems.it might be a few thousands of an inch but add it up over a number of parts could be the reason

Good to hear.

Also, just for perspective, if most of these 'issues' that people are experiencing with the Prodigy can be addressed with a little cleaning/lubing/polishing and a stronger recoil spring, that's far better than the issues people were experiencing when STI first rolled out their 2011.

That's not offered as an excuse, and clearly there have been some examples of individual Prodigies needing more than that. But the people claiming the Staccato is "so much better" are forgetting that they are comparing a brand new offering with one that has been around for quite a while now, and which definitely took them awhile to work out out the kinks. And yeah, I think it would be fair to say that what STI did qualified as "beta testing on your customers." ;)

Last edited:
400 flawless rounds. HP and fmj all weights. Not 1 issue. Any tips on keeping the osp plate tight. I used blue locktite and let it dry 24th but one screw still loosens up. One of the 2 that holds the plate to the slide.They tighten up great but I don’t get it.

I have to chime in here re: SA cust. serv.
Can't ask for more just call them up and they give you an RA no problem.
Now it's disappointing to drop a bundle on a new gun and not have it function but
at least they stand behind their products. 3 Trips for my Emissary but it runs now!!!
I don’t have any problem with Springfield CS. My problem is with their QC which seems to have been suspect over the past couple of years. BTW, I don’t think having to return the same gun three times to get it running right is a glowing endorsement.

400 flawless rounds. HP and fmj all weights. Not 1 issue. Any tips on keeping the osp plate tight. I used blue locktite and let it dry 24th but one screw still loosens up. One of the 2 that holds the plate to the slide.They tighten up great but I don’t get it.
I’m curious, what HP have you run through yours? Mine is hit and miss with JHPs. Fires FMJs just fine.

When I had mine I was able to cycle Speer Gold Dot 124gr flawlessly
Mine ran Speer Gold Dot 124 but had several Failure to Feeds.
I ran federal HST through the 20 and the 17.No issues. 1 mag of each. That stuff is $$$
I might have to check this out as it has a fairly round profile. I’ve heard good things about Hornady Critical Duty. I’ll be trying that out this week.

I’ve tried 4 different kinds of defensive ammo and only one ran reliably. Problem is that the one that ran reliably only 68 gr and 1750 fps. It leaves a massive wound channel, but I think it would go through a bad guy, my wall and my neighbors wall!

Mine ran Speer Gold Dot 124 but had several Failure to Feeds.

I might have to check this out as it has a fairly round profile. I’ve heard good things about Hornady Critical Duty. I’ll be trying that out this week.

I’ve tried 4 different kinds of defensive ammo and only one ran reliably. Problem is that the one that ran reliably only 68 gr and 1750 fps. It leaves a massive wound channel, but I think it would go through a bad guy, my wall and my neighbors wall!
Obviously not a Prodigy, but a few of my .45s ( one, a 1911 that normally eats anything) did not get along with the Hornady CD. I now run HST in every pistol I own and they all run it like crazy.

Back