testtest

Prodigy Mags - I don't think they're supposed to do this...

Yea, I talked to a few guys at the range after going through this today and some do, some don't. I haven't until now, but then again I never had a feeding issue with other mags.

Probably a good habit to have anyway. Will build it into my routine.
Impressive that you’ve spent the time to do this testing and have come up with positive results, good job, I’ve consistently used the mag loaders that were supplied by Springfield when I started buying SA firearms, there holsters and mag holders were not the best, very clunky.
I’ve never felt the need to tap a loaded mag to help set the installed rounds but that’s just me I guess.
On an interesting note growing up and watching old war movies I always wondered why soldiers would tap the magazines on their helmets before inserting them into their rifles, my first thought was to ensure it was a full mag although I’m wondering now if it was to set or align the rounds for a better feed.

Impressive that you’ve spent the time to do this testing and have come up with positive results, good job, I’ve consistently used the mag loaders that were supplied by Springfield when I started buying SA firearms, there holsters and mag holders were not the best, very clunky.
I’ve never felt the need to tap a loaded mag to help set the installed rounds but that’s just me I guess.
On an interesting note growing up and watching old war movies I always wondered why soldiers would tap the magazines on their helmets before inserting them into their rifles, my first thought was to ensure it was a full mag although I’m wondering now if it was to set or align the rounds for a better feed.
From testing, it seems like the tapping is a good practice to have or adopt.

Several people have had problems with the stock mags, then tested other manufacturers mags with the and had good results.

I'm inclined to agree the mags are causing some (not all) peoples failures. Especially since I sent it into Springfield and they did quite a laundry list of things to it.

Ordered another Staccato mag from Dawson. This time a 20rd. Bit more than the Prodigy mags but honestly at $70 if it fixes all my issues it's money well spent.

I specifically heard on a video someplace that M1 clips were tapped on the rifle stock, or the soldier's helmet to ensure the .30-06 rounds in the clip were "seated" in the clip. It's very easy to load them in the clip unevenly. Of course toted clips bouncing around in battle might also dislodge rounds in a clip as well.

I might be getting into the nitty gritty a bit here, but honestly it's pretty interesting.

I received my 20rd Staccato mags today and upon picking one up I could have sworn it was heavier than the Prodigy mag.

I weighed both and sure enough, the Prodigy SA 20rd mag is 107grams and the Staccato 20rd mags are 123grams.

Measured the mag wall thickness and the Staccato mags are a fraction thicker all around, which would account for the increased weight.

After action range report:

All 3 Staccato mags ran through 200rds flawlessly.

SA Mags wont even get through 20rds without a failure.
Now what the heck do I do with the Prodigy mags. :rolleyes: I clearly don't want to use them as they are causing all of my issues.

Will SA even do anything?

After action range report:

All 3 Staccato mags ran through 200rds flawlessly.

SA Mags wont even get through 20rds without a failure.
Now what the heck do I do with the Prodigy mags. :rolleyes: I clearly don't want to use them as they are causing all of my issues.

Will SA even do anything?
I would send them all back to SA and let them know they don't work. And at this point, probably just ask for a refund, rather than replacement?

I would send them all back to SA and let them know they don't work. And at this point, probably just ask for a refund, rather than replacement?
Yea that's kind of the rub.

I wouldn't want replacements until at least mags v2 come out.

I'll give them a call and see.
At least at this point there's no doubt the mags are causing issues.

At least at this point there's no doubt the mags are causing issues.
That’s very strange. All four of my SA mags are perfectly fine through 1500 rounds. I think you should contact SA and ask them to replace them. I’m sure they won’t be happy to hear that Staccato mags work and theirs don’t.

For whatever it's worth, until I read this thread, I always thought tapping a loaded mag on the palm/pad of your hand before inserting it was SOP. Don't remember where I learned to do it or why, just always have done it (at least 40+ years) and accepted it was to ensure all rounds were seated to the back of the mag.

As for my SA Hellcat (only SA semi I own), I've always used an Uplula loader for all the relative mags, but have also done the tapping thing. Never, not once, have I had any issue with the mags not feeding. I realize we're talking about two different guns/mags from the OP, but the principle is pretty much the same for any semi-auto.

Actually sitting here thinking about it, I realize that every detachable mag I have, including those for some rifles I do the same tapping thing with them. And even my 'all-time'..... 'long-time' favorite hunting rifle (Rem 700 Classic in .270 Win) I always ensure I'm stacking the rounds to the very back of the mag well as I load them since I can't logically tap them.

I don't know ..... maybe just something to ponder y'all! In the movies all the army guys and cowboys seem to do it. (y)

Last update:

Ran just over 300 rounds through the gun with the Staccato mags now with -zero- issues.

Definitely an SA mag issue.

Back