testtest

Prodigy Mags - I don't think they're supposed to do this...

Went to the range today, put another 150rd through and here's the final verdict:

The stock mags that came with the gun are junk. New springs didn't alleviate the problem at all. Will be calling SA for replacements as I'm done messing around with them.

The 20rd I bought separately continues to perform with no issues. Not ONE failure with this mag and I have several hundred rounds through it now.

At this point I'm just going to snag a Staccato mag and probably a Check Mate mag (When available).
Bragah, are your issues just with the 17rd mags? Sorry to hear you’re still having problems.

Good luck with the Checkmate mags. They came out talking a lot of crap about SA’s mags and the went down the rabbit hole.

Bragah, are your issues just with the 17rd mags? Sorry to hear you’re still having problems.

Good luck with the Checkmate mags. They came out talking a lot of crap about SA’s mags and the went down the rabbit hole.
The 17rd mag that came with the gun has some failures but not nearly as much as the 20rd that came with it.

ONLY the two that came with it are having issues. I purchased a separate 20rd mag and it works fine - zero issues.

I just snagged a 17rd Staccato mag from Dawson so we'll see how that one runs when it comes in.

The 17rd mag that came with the gun has some failures but not nearly as much as the 20rd that came with it.

ONLY the two that came with it are having issues. I purchased a separate 20rd mag and it works fine - zero issues.

I just snagged a 17rd Staccato mag from Dawson so we'll see how that one runs when it comes in.
I remember reading,
“I think on the forum”
that someone found some issues with the followers that had a nub from the (molding tree) that wasn’t cleaned off completely and causing a drag inside the magazine housing, when you had yours apart did you see anything like that?

I remember reading,
“I think on the forum”
that someone found some issues with the followers that had a nub from the (molding tree) that wasn’t cleaned off completely and causing a drag inside the magazine housing, when you had yours apart did you see anything like that?
That was me. I don’t know if it made any difference filing it off, but it let me sleep better, so there’s that. I’ve bought a couple additional SA 17 rd mags and. Took a file to them as a matter of course and haven’t had issues.

I checked the followers and nothing like SimonRL had. I did actually smooth some sharp edges out a little and they slid up and down the mag a bit better, but still didn't fix the issue.

Bit annoying that the mags aren't working right but this isn't the first gun I've had that the mags were causing all of the issues.

Mine do the same thing, AND the fiber optic sight fell out. At this point it's a $1500 paperweight. I emailed SA weeks ago and never received a reply. Worst purchase I think I've made.

Really? I will try to call, I feel ripped off to tell you the truth. Thanks.
Yes, I understand that. I knew going in that I was taking a chance - I said as much here before I bought it - and I got lucky. Sadly, this is always a possibility when buying a new generation gun. I’m sure SA will put it right and when they do, you’re going to have a blast. Just curious, which model did you get?

It seems to be a matter of consistency, rather than that all of the Prodigy mags are junk. The two provided with my Prodigy (17 & 20-rd) have run fine, as have the other three I've purchased. But clearly, some are slipping through without proper QC.

It seems to be a matter of consistency, rather than that all of the Prodigy mags are junk. The two provided with my Prodigy (17 & 20-rd) have run fine, as have the other three I've purchased. But clearly, some are slipping through without proper QC.
Agreed.

I also have a very low serial # and the bottom of my 20rd mag says 1911 DS while the one I bought separately says 2011 DS.

Agreed.

I also have a very low serial # and the bottom of my 20rd mag says 1911 DS while the one I bought separately says 2011 DS.
That’s interesting. I just checked my mags. 1 17 rounder says 1911 while two other 17s say 2011 and the 20 rounder that came with it says 2011.

Alright! Update time.

Upon loading and reloading some mags over this week to test a theory (as well as receiving the 17rd Staccato mag) I found that using an UpLula causes the rounds to nose dive into the inside of the mag and press against it, making the rounds stick as they come up. Today at the range I tapped the mags several times to make the rounds move back and sure enough, that fixed it. BUT.

I haven't had this issue with my other mags for other guns I have. SO! I hand reloaded both the 17rd and 20rd SA mags and made sure to press the rounds all the way back, but DID NOT tap them to move the rounds back (was testing to see if it was an UpLula only issue.) Some of the rounds, would STILL nosedive into the inside of the mag and cause sticking.

When I hand reloaded and tapped them down to make sure the rounds were seated back properly, ZERO issues.

I repeated this process with the Staccato mag and had ZERO issues, regardless of hand reloading, UpLula or tapping.

So... for whatever reason, the SA mags seem to have an issue with rounds pressing forward and rubbing hard enough on the inside to cause the rounds to stick sometimes.

Side by side, the Staccato mag interior is very slick and smooth, almost polished looking. The SA mags are not exactly what I would call smooth and you can feel the difference with your finger.

In the end, the staccato mag worked without ANY issues no matter the scenario, and the SA mags worked only if you tapped the mag after loading to make sure the rounds were seated back.

Unrelated note: They had a Wilson Combat EDC X9 4" at my GS and boy was I tempted to pick it up for my carry gun. It was $150 LESS than normal price too. Still a pretty penny though.

Kind of looks like you can pay more for a staccato and it works or you can pay less for the SA and take your chances. I’m on the fence on this one.
I also forgot to mention that the Staccato mag seems a bit more 'polished', especially the feed lips. (see below)
Feed lips are a bit more rounded than the SA mags and are a bit more 'flared'.

The one big difference is how much smoother the finish on the Staccato mag is, inside and out. The bare metal is very noticeably smoother than the black coated metal. Just take something and run it across the mags and you'll feel slight friction with the SA mag vs zero on the Staccato mag.

I think that friction is causing issues with feeding in the SA mags if the tip of the bullet touches the inside.

mag-comparison.jpg

Alright! Update time.

Upon loading and reloading some mags over this week to test a theory (as well as receiving the 17rd Staccato mag) I found that using an UpLula causes the rounds to nose dive into the inside of the mag and press against it, making the rounds stick as they come up. Today at the range I tapped the mags several times to make the rounds move back and sure enough, that fixed it. BUT.

I haven't had this issue with my other mags for other guns I have. SO! I hand reloaded both the 17rd and 20rd SA mags and made sure to press the rounds all the way back, but DID NOT tap them to move the rounds back (was testing to see if it was an UpLula only issue.) Some of the rounds, would STILL nosedive into the inside of the mag and cause sticking.

When I hand reloaded and tapped them down to make sure the rounds were seated back properly, ZERO issues.

I repeated this process with the Staccato mag and had ZERO issues, regardless of hand reloading, UpLula or tapping.

So... for whatever reason, the SA mags seem to have an issue with rounds pressing forward and rubbing hard enough on the inside to cause the rounds to stick sometimes.

Side by side, the Staccato mag interior is very slick and smooth, almost polished looking. The SA mags are not exactly what I would call smooth and you can feel the difference with your finger.

In the end, the staccato mag worked without ANY issues no matter the scenario, and the SA mags worked only if you tapped the mag after loading to make sure the rounds were seated back.

Unrelated note: They had a Wilson Combat EDC X9 4" at my GS and boy was I tempted to pick it up for my carry gun. It was $150 LESS than normal price too. Still a pretty penny though.
I have always gotten into the habit of tapping my mags when I load them, been doing this habit for I say 30 years now, just me

I have always gotten into the habit of tapping my mags when I load them, been doing this habit for I say 30 years now, just me
Yea, I talked to a few guys at the range after going through this today and some do, some don't. I haven't until now, but then again I never had a feeding issue with other mags.

Probably a good habit to have anyway. Will build it into my routine.

Yea, I talked to a few guys at the range after going through this today and some do, some don't. I haven't until now, but then again I never had a feeding issue with other mags.

Probably a good habit to have anyway. Will build it into my routine.
I think it started with me when I bought my first 1911, a AMT Government Model back in the 80’s, very cheap mags came with it

Back