testtest

Prodigy Mags - I don't think they're supposed to do this...

Bragah

Elite
Gifs are worth a thousand words... but this has started to happen on BOTH my stock 17rd and 20rd Prodigy mags. The mags are not full in the gifs, 17rd only has 10rds at this point and the 20rd had 13 or 15.

I think this might explain my very infrequent failure to feed issues. I have several hundred rounds through each mag already.

Can this be fixed without replacing internals? Haven't had this issue with any other mags for my other guns so not really sure if this is fixable.

Left gif is the 17rd which will slowly come up on on its own. Right gif is the 20rd - which is much worse as you can see and has to be tapped on the desk to get the rounds to feed up again.
17rd-mag-gif.gif
20rd-prodigymag.gif

Gifs are worth a thousand words... but this has started to happen on BOTH my stock 17rd and 20rd Prodigy mags. The mags are not full in the gifs, 17rd only has 10rds at this point and the 20rd had 13 or 15.

I think this might explain my very infrequent failure to feed issues. I have several hundred rounds through each mag already.

Can this be fixed without replacing internals? Haven't had this issue with any other mags for my other guns so not really sure if this is fixable.

Left gif is the 17rd which will slowly come up on on its own. Right gif is the 20rd - which is much worse as you can see and has to be tapped on the desk to get the rounds to feed up again.
View attachment 32633View attachment 32632
Take them apart and clean them.

All good suggestion above.

Do you use one particular brand of ammo, or do you use different brands? The reason I ask is that you might be having a problem with inconsistent OAL of your present ammo. Poor quality control might be letting some by where the OAL is just out of spec enough to cause the cartridge to jam up on the inside of the mag. One of your photo's kind of looks like that might be happening.

I think Walther had a similar issue with their followers on the PDP mags and issued a recall with updated follower kits and a free mag per customer.

Seat the magazine to stager the rounds. If you smack the bottom of the magazine it will help the rounds stagger. Maybe the internals are dirty?
I took them apart and cleaned and they were not dirty at all. Only a very little dusting of carbon at the top which wiped off easily with a paper towel.

When I put the springs on the table, I noticed they're not sitting flat; they're both slightly bent and in different ways. One has a decent twist in it and is bowed in the middle. The other one, the top portion of the spring itself actually rubs against the inner walls of the mag - you can see the wear marks near the top of the spring itself just under the follower.

Is this something that Springfield would warranty or am I S.O.L. and just need to buy new mags? (If this is the case I'm seriously considering other manufacturers mags now, even if they are more.)

I took them apart and cleaned and they were not dirty at all. Only a very little dusting of carbon at the top which wiped off easily with a paper towel.

When I put the springs on the table, I noticed they're not sitting flat; they're both slightly bent and in different ways. One has a decent twist in it and is bowed in the middle. The other one, the top portion of the spring itself actually rubs against the inner walls of the mag - you can see the wear marks near the top of the spring itself just under the follower.

Is this something that Springfield would warranty or am I S.O.L. and just need to buy new mags? (If this is the case I'm seriously considering other manufacturers mags now, even if they are more.)
Just sell me your Prodigy and mags, Bragah, I’ll get ‘em to work. I’ll do you a good price. Promise…😎😇😜

Went to the range again today. The two that are sticking caused a few failure to feeds - the extra 20 & 26rd I bought separately worked flawlessly (neither of them are sticking like the stock ones).

Looks like I'll be snagging new springs - anyone know a good place to order from?

Just sell me your Prodigy and mags, Bragah, I’ll get ‘em to work. I’ll do you a good price. Promise…😎😇😜
:LOL:
Careful - I might take you up on this so I can fund the purchase of just 1 Staccato mag for testing.

The plot thickens!

I took my original 20rd and the 20rd that I bought at my local GS apart together and what did I find?

A completely different spring in both of them. Top spring is the original mag that's having binding issues and bottom one is the spring from the good mag I bought separately.
(Not that this matters? But the top spring is actually more of a gunmetal grey color and the bottom is black)

So essentially my original mags are under sprung from the factory.

Funny enough... the Staccato mags I believe have more coils than both of these so perhaps why they seem to run better?

Oh boy...
20221120_200838.jpg

Update!

I purchased some Dawson Precision STI/Staccato springs for the 17rd and 20rd mags.

Put them in and instantly saw a massive difference when loading rounds. The springs are perfectly straight and zero issues with rubbing on the insides of the mags now. No sticking at all.

Picture for a comparison below.

I found out that my original 20rd mag that came with the gun actually had the SAME spring that the 17rd mag did :rolleyes:. No wonder I was getting FTF and sticking round issues.

Only little modification I had to make was to bend the curve on the spring where it attaches to the follower to match the angle of the Prodigy spring (Oddly Dawson's own site picture doesn't have the angled bend, but it was easy to fix)

Will get to the range this weekend some time and let you know the results.

(After experiencing and seeing this, I'm almost 100% convinced the Prodigy mags are under sprung and definitely causing SOME people's feeding issues. People say Staccato mags work fine for them and this would most likely be why.)

Sorry @SimonRL - doesn't look like I'll be selling my Prodigy mags :D
spring-comparison1.jpg

So glad I didn't purchase this firearm. I expect them to work without me trying to fix them, especially when brand new.
It’s funny because we’ll say never buy a new gun in the first year and in the same breath, I expect a new gun to work.

Unfortunately, the Prodigy has been a real mixed bag. I got a good one and I have to say that it has been nothing short of spectacular and feel like I got more than my money’s worth. So much so, that about two weeks ago I saw the 4.25 version at my gun club and was going to spring for it, but got distracted by a Century Arms AP5-P instead - which also has a reputation for some spotty QC. Guess what? It runs like a freight train too. I must have done something right in another life.

Went to the range today, put another 150rd through and here's the final verdict:

The stock mags that came with the gun are junk. New springs didn't alleviate the problem at all. Will be calling SA for replacements as I'm done messing around with them.

The 20rd I bought separately continues to perform with no issues. Not ONE failure with this mag and I have several hundred rounds through it now.

At this point I'm just going to snag a Staccato mag and probably a Check Mate mag (When available).

Back