testtest

Proof the .40 is not dead.

Totally get it, they are pricey. However was just pointing out that CZ is producing a high dollar quality .40
That in which people must be buying or they wouldn't be making it. Hence, the .40 is not dead. If I could afford it, I'd buy one.

.38-40 is big with cowboy action shooters...but I wouldn’t call it a “popular” caliber. Relying on specialty gamer guns to prove a caliber is still popular doesn’t make your point very well.

.40 will be around for quite some time...but it’s popularity is waning, and waning fast with fewer and fewer makers producing new models chambered in it.

.38-40 is big with cowboy action shooters...but I wouldn’t call it a “popular” caliber. Relying on specialty gamer guns to prove a caliber is still popular doesn’t make your point very well.

.40 will be around for quite some time...but it’s popularity is waning, and waning fast with fewer and fewer makers producing new models chambered in it.
I actually sold my 3 pistols chambered in .40 and I really did like the performance and ballistics of the .40. This was several years ago with 9 and 45 coming out with much better ammo it just helped me with liquidation on the ammo part. I did get a few more 9’s and 45’s but I don’t have to worry about .40 any more... I agree with you about the .40 going away, slowly but surely. My B.I.L is with the US Marshals and they have went from .40 to 9 and the Federal Air Marshals, which y’all may know is going from .357 Sig to 9. And it’s no new news that many LE agencies are going from .40 to 9. Safe to say 40 is dying out..

I actually sold my 3 pistols chambered in .40 and I really did like the performance and ballistics of the .40. This was several years ago with 9 and 45 coming out with much better ammo it just helped me with liquidation on the ammo part. I did get a few more 9’s and 45’s but I don’t have to worry about .40 any more... I agree with you about the .40 going away, slowly but surely. My B.I.L is with the US Marshals and they have went from .40 to 9 and the Federal Air Marshals, which y’all may know is going from .357 Sig to 9. And it’s no new news that many LE agencies are going from .40 to 9. Safe to say 40 is dying out..
Again these agencies are choosing the 9mm that is true. But not because the 9mm is superior or equal performing. Mainly its cost. It's much cheaper to buy 9mm than .40 for an entire agency. And if your a Federal Officer then you know that the cheapest bidder will be what is chosen. No one has ever claimed the .40 has not slowed. I know it has. But it clearly is not "dead". And I'm sure in time it will make it's return, just like the 10mm did. Perhaps with newer bullet technology advancements. The Federal HST round is hard to beat in any caliber. However... the Federal HST 180 grain .40 is definitely a great round with excellent performance.

The CZ .40 featured is a far cry from a gamer gun. But, feel free to send me any of your .40 Cal's you don't want along with any of that dying ammo....lol
😃🤪

The last five years I was in law enforcement I carried a Sig 226 in 40 S&W. I liked it better than the Sig 226 in 9MM Luger it replaced. Since I retired the only 40 I have is a 40 replacement barrel for my Glock 20 10 MM. It works great in the Glock 20 but is somewhat redundant when you have power and versatility of the 10 MM. Most law enforcement agencies are going back from the 40 to the 9 as evidenced by what I saw recruits bringing to the academy when I taught firearms. It may be a while but seems inevitable that the 40 is heading for extinction.

I w
The last five years I was in law enforcement I carried a Sig 226 in 40 S&W. I liked it better than the Sig 226 in 9MM Luger it replaced. Since I retired the only 40 I have is a 40 replacement barrel for my Glock 20 10 MM. It works great in the Glock 20 but is somewhat redundant when you have power and versatility of the 10 MM. Most law enforcement agencies are going back from the 40 to the 9 as evidenced by what I saw recruits bringing to the academy when I taught firearms. It may be a while but seems inevitable that the 40 is heading for extinction.
I will keep mine to the very end...

I would say that the .40 is not dying but more like going into hibernation. A lot of our common calibers go through an up & down phase with 9mm-10mm really making a come back currently and with us as consumers liking to try new things because we get bored with the current offerings at some point and when the gun/ammo manufacturer's start to see stagnant numbers in sales they tend to push R&D to make the next big thing to drum up attention to their products that Includes better ammo choices such such as new calibers or reworked calibers to perform better.

The
The CZ .40 featured is a far cry from a gamer gun. But, feel free to send me any of your .40 Cal's you don't want along with any of that dying ammo....lol
😃🤪

The orange grips and the tag “sport” puts that pistol squarely in the gamer category...sure, it can be used for other purposes, but it’s purpose is gun games.

Oddly enough, 2 of the last 3 handguns I’ve gotten were .40’s; a USP Tactical and a P229. The USP to fill a niche; the 229 has already been converted to .357 Sig.

Again these agencies are choosing the 9mm that is true. But not because the 9mm is superior or equal performing. Mainly its cost. It's much cheaper to buy 9mm than .40 for an entire agency. And if your a Federal Officer then you know that the cheapest bidder will be what is chosen. No one has ever claimed the .40 has not slowed. I know it has. But it clearly is not "dead". And I'm sure in time it will make it's return, just like the 10mm did. Perhaps with newer bullet technology advancements. The Federal HST round is hard to beat in any caliber. However... the Federal HST 180 grain .40 is definitely a great round with excellent performance.
That was my point, and the point that was brought to my attention when I was asking “why the switch”. If it had not been for the better design in bullet “technology” for 9mm I don’t believe they would have switched. I agree and it has been said that cost was a factor, but that was not the only factor. I mean 357 Sig, I know of several LE agencies that ran that round. That is an excellent round, well to me at least. Expensive, yes but far superior to the 9mm. I would have the 357 Sig on my hip over the .40 and day of the week and twice on Sunday, so when does expense overrule performance? I’m not saying the .40 is dead and I agree with you on several points, from what I’m seeing I see it more in competition and a few folks I know that carry and less of it in the professional world, compared to what it used to be.

That was my point, and the point that was brought to my attention when I was asking “why the switch”. If it had not been for the better design in bullet “technology” for 9mm I don’t believe they would have switched. I agree and it has been said that cost was a factor, but that was not the only factor. I mean 357 Sig, I know of several LE agencies that ran that round. That is an excellent round, well to me at least. Expensive, yes but far superior to the 9mm. I would have the 357 Sig on my hip over the .40 and day of the week and twice on Sunday, so when does expense overrule performance? I’m not saying the .40 is dead and I agree with you on several points, from what I’m seeing I see it more in competition and a few folks I know that carry and less of it in the professional world, compared to what it used to be.

Exactly.

I also doubt that .40 will have much more than half the staying power in police holsters as the venerable .38 Special...which has been in police holsters for better than 120 years, now.

Funny, there were a good majority of ammo distributors that were sold out of the 40 S&W as well. That tells you it's not going away anytime soon. The cost difference between 9 & 40 ammo drove all the changes in Federal and local agencies....that's a no brainer. Less popular, sure. But dead or dying....I don't think so.

Funny, there were a good majority of ammo distributors that were sold out of the 40 S&W as well. That tells you it's not going away anytime soon. The cost difference between 9 & 40 ammo drove all the changes in Federal and local agencies....that's a no brainer. Less popular, sure. But dead or dying....I don't think so.

As I said earlier—you can still buy new guns in .44-40 and .38-40, as well as ammunition...so are those calibers “dead”?

Fact is, few calibers ever truly die (besides .41AE)...but a lot go on life support.

I’d say .40 is at the point of saying “I don’t feel very good...”.

Anytime you go through a “crisis” such as we did years back, when .22lr was literally impossible to find and worth more than silver and gold...well we are back to another crisis and for those that do still have a .40 will do what everyone else is doing with the 9 and 45acp, because if you notice those are usually O.O.S as well. Point is they are buying everything up they can, my point is, in a professional aspect, it is not as “popular” as it once was. Nobody has chopped their .40’s up or threw them off a cliff. Like I said I know people that still carry a .40 but when we have a crisis people will buy a 38 S&W ammo just to have ammo...

Back