testtest

Proud Moments .. family and firearms

I grew up with shotguns in the house because my dad and mom were hunters. I also watched every western movie and show that I could. I had many toy guns but the one I enjoyed the most was this set ---> https://www.nicholscapguns.com/graphics/scrapbook/mattel/buffalo-hunter.htm From there I had a BB rifle , then a .177 pellet gun , and a single shot .22 rifle. At that time I was also using my mom's .410 bolt action shotgun on Squirrels and rabbits.

It was 1970 when my dad , my oldest brother - in - law , my grandpa ( moms dad ) , and I all went Deer hunting for the first time. In Illinois you had to use shotguns or bow and arrow back then . Now you can use black powder rifles , handguns ( .30 cal. or larger and at least a 4 inch BBL. ) , and crossbows as well .

So from a young age I was hunting and enjoyed many trips afield with my dad and other members of my family as well as with many friends.

I am no longer able to go hunting and even if I were able to go , I no longer have those friends and family alive to go with. I do have many , many memories of days out hunting in all kinds of weather . My dad passed away back in 1980 and reading all these stories reminds me of how much I still miss the times my dad and I had out hunting .

Thanks for posting this thread . I have enjoyed reading every ones stories.

I grew up with shotguns in the house because my dad and mom were hunters. I also watched every western movie and show that I could. I had many toy guns but the one I enjoyed the most was this set ---> https://www.nicholscapguns.com/graphics/scrapbook/mattel/buffalo-hunter.htm From there I had a BB rifle , then a .177 pellet gun , and a single shot .22 rifle. At that time I was also using my mom's .410 bolt action shotgun on Squirrels and rabbits.

It was 1970 when my dad , my oldest brother - in - law , my grandpa ( moms dad ) , and I all went Deer hunting for the first time. In Illinois you had to use shotguns or bow and arrow back then . Now you can use black powder rifles , handguns ( .30 cal. or larger and at least a 4 inch BBL. ) , and crossbows as well .

So from a young age I was hunting and enjoyed many trips afield with my dad and other members of my family as well as with many friends.

I am no longer able to go hunting and even if I were able to go , I no longer have those friends and family alive to go with. I do have many , many memories of days out hunting in all kinds of weather . My dad passed away back in 1980 and reading all these stories reminds me of how much I still miss the times my dad and I had out hunting .

I still have that toy rifle

As I only recently wrote, I didn't start "seriously" shooting until nearly the last week of November of 2010. I was 36 at the time, and although I'd been to countless fun "range-days" with my friends since college and had similar experiences as a kid (my first shot was on a Gen 1 Glock, with a LE-friend of my father's who served as private-contract security in the ethic shopping mall that he managed at the time; his Colt Python remains to-date among my favorite shooting memories), I had never really seen it as more than occasional recreation. From a friend's husband's D'Eagle .50 AE to my childhood friends' father's full-auto M10 (I *think* that was what it was? I didn't know enough about guns back then to really know better), there were plenty of good memories to be had. But yup, it really wasn't until my daughter started growing up a bit that I started thinking about the many "what ifs" in life......

A few sleepless nights' worth of meditation and self-debate later, I decided to take up armed self-defense. That fateful saw me start down the path to both seeking firearms training for myself, as well as to secure a 2A legacy for my daughter - and hopefully the generations to-come after her, too. As a first-generation family, with neither of my parents interested in firearms and with a similar lack of interest on my in-law's side, I realized that I'd be starting fresh.

I'd always let my daughter's interests go their own way, but I won't lie and say I wasn't smiling when she first showed interest in my airsoft replicas. The picture below was from when she was 5 and 1/2. She'd drilled a 6mm hole into an empty RedBull can at 10 yards, with me supporting my Tanio Koba 10/22 GBB replica on my shoulder and her taking the trigger and working the sight. I'd already been shooting for a couple of years by then, and had used airsoft as a way to teach her about firearms safety and marksmanship fundamentals. She really didn't like loud noises as a little one, so I wanted to wait until she was ready, before I took her to the range. Out in our own back-yard, the BB-gun was barely louder than a quiet cough, so it made for the perfect learning platform.

Anna Little.JPG

A few weeks after she turned 8, she let me know that she thought she'd finally be ready to "shoot for real" by the time school let out that summer. I spent the next several months updating our eye and ear protection, and shopped with her to buy .22LR handguns and rifles for both of us for that coming season. We've been shooting together ever since.

Fast-forward to August of 2017, and she's 11 and 1/2......

View attachment 20355

That's the ubiquitous S&W M&P 15-22 in her hands. She's got on those sports "compression sleeves" as protection from spent brass (she's still not fond of anything hot, even now) - I've often said here and elsewhere about making sure that the kiddo is the one having fun, so, yup, I catered each of our sessions to her needs. ;). And really, it's not until much more recently that I finally started shooting *with* her, instead of being there for her when she's shooting.

The 15-22 was only ever as reliable as that rimfire cartridge, so she started yearning after the dependability she's seen of the full-caliber, direct-impingement ARs. It wasn't long before we sat down together to build-out a lower for her:

https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/lets-see-your-ar-setups.258/page-4#post-4362

This one was from early 2020. She's still on the 15-22 in this pic, but we'd played that day with her Umbrella, too.

1582047819934.png

President Ronald Regan wrote/said that "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." We owe it to our children to pass on the American way of life - of freedom and liberty for all.
fantastic !!
Love to see it . Parents and kids enjoying the sport and future generations. One day, she will be teaching her kids and that pride will beam over us parents again 👍👍

Memories never fade of time afield with loved ones

I am 66 years young I been loving firearms since I was 16 . My dad was not into it at all me probably watching a lot of old western that got me going I remember I took a class in archery at a shooting range love the class I always like being around the gun range and at 21 got my first hand gun been shooting ever since took my son out to range a couple times he is 40 now still not interested in it that’s ok everybody is different but he does do EDC with his knives that’s my story and I am sticking to it

Turkeys are tricky, and deceptively fast runners. Thier eyesight is superb. I tend to practice my turkey calling with a diaphragm call while driving listening to turkey calling dvds, boy do I get some weird looks.
I've done that as well and got the same looks. I've also practiced my harmonica as I drive, playing along with the radio or CD's. Pretty much get the same looks then too!

Boy! Wish I still had some of those cap gun sets I had as a kid. Never had this particular set of the 'Buffalo Hunter', but I know I must have had at least a hundred sets of Roy Rogers six shooters, and millions of caps !!! And as far as that goes, I still have a .177 pellet rifle. I've been known to knock a squirrel or two out of the trees behind the old house for supper every now and then with that little rifle. It's so quiet, the neighbors never suspected a thing ... well, maybe suspected....... but never knew for sure ;) :):) !!!

The part of your post I've 'bolded' hits pretty close to home for me too. Well said my friend, well said!

Boy! Wish I still had some of those cap gun sets I had as a kid. Never had this particular set of the 'Buffalo Hunter', but I know I must have had at least a hundred sets of Roy Rogers six shooters, and millions of caps !!! And as far as that goes, I still have a .177 pellet rifle. I've been known to knock a squirrel or two out of the trees behind the old house for supper every now and then with that little rifle. It's so quiet, the neighbors never suspected a thing ... well, maybe suspected....... but never knew for sure ;) :):) !!!

The part of your post I've 'bolded' hits pretty close to home for me too. Well said my friend, well said!
Jumpinjoe you are ok in my books

Think back in time no more than maybe 50 or so years ago to the time when 'Shooting Galleries' were common at fairs, carnivals, etc. Even at our annual school (elem school) carnivals I can remember dad holding me up high enough so that I could see over the counter and shoot at the ducks moving across the field. I remember the little "Rossi" (I think) .22 cal pump rifles...... they were actually small and light enough I could work the slide myself. Son, I thought I was big chit when I could work it on my own. 'Course daddy still had to hold me up to see the damn things !!!! :):):D:D:D

As I only recently wrote, I didn't start "seriously" shooting until nearly the last week of November of 2010. I was 36 at the time, and although I'd been to countless fun "range-days" with my friends since college and had similar experiences as a kid (my first shot was on a Gen 1 Glock, with a LE-friend of my father's who served as private-contract security in the ethic shopping mall that he managed at the time; his Colt Python remains to-date among my favorite shooting memories), I had never really seen it as more than occasional recreation. From a friend's husband's D'Eagle .50 AE to my childhood friends' father's full-auto M10 (I *think* that was what it was? I didn't know enough about guns back then to really know better), there were plenty of good memories to be had. But yup, it really wasn't until my daughter started growing up a bit that I started thinking about the many "what ifs" in life......

A few sleepless nights' worth of meditation and self-debate later, I decided to take up armed self-defense. That fateful saw me start down the path to both seeking firearms training for myself, as well as to secure a 2A legacy for my daughter - and hopefully the generations to-come after her, too. As a first-generation family, with neither of my parents interested in firearms and with a similar lack of interest on my in-law's side, I realized that I'd be starting fresh.

I'd always let my daughter's interests go their own way, but I won't lie and say I wasn't smiling when she first showed interest in my airsoft replicas. The picture below was from when she was 5 and 1/2. She'd drilled a 6mm hole into an empty RedBull can at 10 yards, with me supporting my Tanio Koba 10/22 GBB replica on my shoulder and her taking the trigger and working the sight. I'd already been shooting for a couple of years by then, and had used airsoft as a way to teach her about firearms safety and marksmanship fundamentals. She really didn't like loud noises as a little one, so I wanted to wait until she was ready, before I took her to the range. Out in our own back-yard, the BB-gun was barely louder than a quiet cough, so it made for the perfect learning platform.

Anna Little.JPG

A few weeks after she turned 8, she let me know that she thought she'd finally be ready to "shoot for real" by the time school let out that summer. I spent the next several months updating our eye and ear protection, and shopped with her to buy .22LR handguns and rifles for both of us for that coming season. We've been shooting together ever since.

Fast-forward to August of 2017, and she's 11 and 1/2......

View attachment 20355

That's the ubiquitous S&W M&P 15-22 in her hands. She's got on those sports "compression sleeves" as protection from spent brass (she's still not fond of anything hot, even now) - I've often said here and elsewhere about making sure that the kiddo is the one having fun, so, yup, I catered each of our sessions to her needs. ;). And really, it's not until much more recently that I finally started shooting *with* her, instead of being there for her when she's shooting.

The 15-22 was only ever as reliable as that rimfire cartridge, so she started yearning after the dependability she's seen of the full-caliber, direct-impingement ARs. It wasn't long before we sat down together to build-out a lower for her:

https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/lets-see-your-ar-setups.258/page-4#post-4362

This one was from early 2020. She's still on the 15-22 in this pic, but we'd played that day with her Umbrella, too.

1582047819934.png

President Ronald Regan wrote/said that "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." We owe it to our children to pass on the American way of life - of freedom and liberty for all.
^excellent ^

Here's mine. All "Special 20's". Wife found the nice box for me... I built the divider for them. The box was 1 too short, but I didn't complain.

Attachments

• 20230731_172213.jpg
    20230731_172213.jpg
    662.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230731_172139.jpg
    20230731_172139.jpg
    645.1 KB · Views: 30
A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and Bflat in that set in the pics. Then I have a few old stand by's of Marine Band in various keys. Mostly C, G, D. They're just old 'knock around's' I sometimes find in my tool box, truck bed, in the bathroom, and a few really odd places I won't mention. I'm subject to find one wherever I am and start wailing some bayou blues or sumpthin. Sometimes I'll even do "Dixie". :):D;)

Back