testtest

Pushing the SOCOM 16 CQB Out to 400 Yards

The 16.25" barrel can be accurate well beyond 400 yards.

IMG_8262.JPG

I've had a SOCOM-16 for over a dozen years and added the CQB stock from Promag when they became available. I'm not a hunter but live in the Elkhorn Mountains in Western Montana and wanted something with the punch to stop any of the local wildlife in a pinch. It had to be semi-auto gas piston to preserve my shoulders as they're the only major joints left that are OEM and untouched by arthritis. That action combined with the unique, recoil reducing muzzle device make it easy to shoot accurately and pain free. The pistol grip is a big improvement for me as well due to the arthritis.

I fired the M-1 in Navy boot camp in '70 and have owned a Mini-14 since '80 so this was the next logical step. With the ammo situation it only took one trip to the range last year, hoping for an improvement this year. Thanks to Springfield Armory for a fine compact version of this time tested rifle.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled "Pushing the SOCOM 16 CQB Out to 400 Yards" and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/pushing-the-socom-16-cqb-out-to-400-yards/.

Nice rifle. Mike on Saturday I visited a LGS I frequent often and they had Springfield Socom 2 16” barrel and a fixed stock no pistol grip. It had a heavy dose of tactical gear on the forearm. I don’t see anything about this rifle on the Springfield website? Is this a new offering? It was selling for a little over $2,000.00 I’m hoping it still there when I have the money in a couple weeks although I won’t hold my breath.
Can you tell me more about it?
It was chambered in .308

Nice rifle. Mike on Saturday I visited a LGS I frequent often and they had Springfield Socom 2 16” barrel and a fixed stock no pistol grip. It had a heavy dose of tactical gear on the forearm. I don’t see anything about this rifle on the Springfield website? Is this a new offering? It was selling for a little over $2,000.00 I’m hoping it still there when I have the money in a couple weeks although I won’t hold my breath.
Can you tell me more about it?
It was chambered in .308
I may be able to answer your questions. The Socom-2 came out within a couple years of the Socom-16 (I got my 16 in 2008 and believe the Socom-2 was available at the time) but from reviews at the time that I recall, the extra 2.5 pounds that the rail system added made an already heavy rifle very muzzle heavy. Any accessories added to the rails didn't improve the handling. I haven't seen one advertised for years. The model that Mike is reviewing is the Socom-16 CQB introduced around 2015, which replaces the original synthetic stock with the tactical style stock seen in the video. The stock is a ProMag Archangel Close Quarters Stock and is now available as an aftermarket replacement from many suppliers for around $200. I purchased mine in 2019 and it's a great addition to a fine weapon. The butt stock is compatible with AR style stocks if you prefer something different, the pistol grip is also interchangeable but uses an AK style mount. The ProMag stock required a bit of internal sanding in the receiver area for proper fitting of the action but that was all. Here is a link to another review of the Socom-16 CQB from last June that covers some other aspects of the rifle as supplied from Springfield Armory: https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/springfield-socom-16-cqb/. That price you mentioned may be a little high as MSRP on a new Socom-16 CQB is $2,188 without the red dot site. Good luck!

Back