testtest

Question on XDM Elite grip safety

belladonna

Professional
I just got my XDM Elite last month, and I finally had the time to strip it down and decided to swap out the backstrap. Turns out they already had the small installed, so I put it back on. I had a bit of a time getting the roll pin out...it was quite a bit harder than the VP9 roll pin was. Anyway, when I got it all together, I noticed that the grip safety stays pushed in now. I'm sure it didn't before I messed with it. I was careful with reinstalling the pin, didn't have to force anything. It feels wrong...did I break my gun?

Last edited:
I just got my XDN Elite last month, and I finally had the time to strip it down and decided to swap out the backstrap. Turns out they already had the small installed, so I put it back on. I had a bit of a time getting the roll pin out...it was quite a bit harder than the VP9 roll pin was. Anyway, when I got it all together, I noticed that the grip safety stays pushed in now. I'm sure it didn't before I messed with it. I was careful with reinstalling the pin, didn't have to force anything. It feels wrong...did I break my gun?
Remember the rules:
- gun cleaning THEN whiskey….😉

I just got my XDM Elite last month, and I finally had the time to strip it down and decided to swap out the backstrap. Turns out they already had the small installed, so I put it back on. I had a bit of a time getting the roll pin out...it was quite a bit harder than the VP9 roll pin was. Anyway, when I got it all together, I noticed that the grip safety stays pushed in now. I'm sure it didn't before I messed with it. I was careful with reinstalling the pin, didn't have to force anything. It feels wrong...did I break my gun?
I’m sure it’s something simple. Have you looked at the manual ?

I’m sure it’s something simple. Have you looked at the manual ?
No more phone, on the laptop now. I'm not finding anything in the manual. The thing is, all I did to this one was remove the magwell and backstrap, then reinstall them. I didn't field strip this one because I already cleaned it last week. I can't imagine I could have messed anything up just doing that.

No more phone, on the laptop now. I'm not finding anything in the manual. The thing is, all I did to this one was remove the magwell and backstrap, then reinstall them. I didn't field strip this one because I already cleaned it last week. I can't imagine I could have messed anything up just doing that.
It’s apparently a thing that happens. I’d ask @xdman. He’s answered this question before. Could be the safety is off center. You might take a punch and manipulate the pin on the safety a smidge.

I may just bring it to a gunsmith I know in Moorhead, let him have a look at it. Gonna dig a little deeper before I do though..
PM James, aka XDMan. He’ll have ideas. At a minimum he’ll have a schematic. Or I’m sure Midway or Brownells will. Maybe try taking the backstrap off again and just doing the same rig you did the first time.

Ironically there’s no shortage of people who pin them down or tape them down. They’re kind of a pain in the ass.

PM James, aka XDMan. He’ll have ideas. At a minimum he’ll have a schematic. Or I’m sure Midway or Brownells will. Maybe try taking the backstrap off again and just doing the same rig you did the first time.

Ironically there’s no shortage of people who pin them down or tape them down. They’re kind of a pain in the ass.
I just PMed him. Thanks! ☺️

Just to make sure, you only removed the roll pin at the heel (bottom) of the grip and none of the pins higher up?

I would remove the bottom rollpin and remove the back strap. Does the grip safety become free and now move easily in and out?

If grip safety moves freely then the back strap was installed wrong? Reinstall one step at a time and functions check. Install the top of the back strap in place then push it by hand on the frame. Is the grip safety stuck again? If not continue and insert your roll pin tapping it in place. Does the grip safety free or stuck.

If the grip safety is still stuckish then it could be the grip safety pin got knocked off center. But I would come back here for more advice. Also you can get my phone number on xdman.com you can text me if you need faster help.

Just to make sure, you only removed the roll pin at the heel (bottom) of the grip and none of the pins higher up?

I would remove the bottom rollpin and remove the back strap. Does the grip safety become free and now move easily in and out?

If grip safety moves freely then the back strap was installed wrong? Reinstall one step at a time and functions check. Install the top of the back strap in place then push it by hand on the frame. Is the grip safety stuck again? If not continue and insert your roll pin tapping it in place. Does the grip safety free or stuck.

If the grip safety is still stuckish then it could be the grip safety pin got knocked off center. But I would come back here for more advice. Also you can get my phone number on xdman.com you can text me if you need faster help.
Yes, I only removed the roll pin at the bottom. I will redo the process tomorrow as you described. Thank you for your quick answer!

I may just bring it to a gunsmith I know in Moorhead, let him have a look at it. Gonna dig a little deeper before I do though..
I had a nephew that played college hockey there. When he was at the dorm and called Domino's you had to have money in hand and open the door before he/she got out of their vehicle or else they would leave. This is when there was lots of snow and campus was closed. He did state ND was a stone throw away.

Does/could this happen on all xdm's or just that model?

Does/could this happen on all xdm's or just that model?
Well I am not sure exactly what happened. I am just trying to go back in time and remove the last "mod" that was performed to see if the grip safety works again. That way we can narrow things down. The next step would be to check the grip safety pin, but tapping on that could bend your grip safety spring, so we don't want to mess with that unless we have to. And if we do I can have a phone conversation and give warnings to not do further damage. It could be as simple as putting pressure on the GS pin and reseat it. In theory any XD with the Grip safety could get a stick or sticky or limp grip safety. Different things cause the symptoms. For example a grip safety that is limp means a broken spring. A sticky GS could mean something is stick in the works or the pin is unseated.

Well I am not sure exactly what happened. I am just trying to go back in time and remove the last "mod" that was performed to see if the grip safety works again. That way we can narrow things down. The next step would be to check the grip safety pin, but tapping on that could bend your grip safety spring, so we don't want to mess with that unless we have to. And if we do I can have a phone conversation and give warnings to not do further damage. It could be as simple as putting pressure on the GS pin and reseat it. In theory any XD with the Grip safety could get a stick or sticky or limp grip safety. Different things cause the symptoms. For example a grip safety that is limp means a broken spring. A sticky GS could mean something is stick in the works or the pin is unseated.
I've taken off and installed grips on both (40s&w, 10mm) 5.25" xdm's and didn't have any issues with the grip safety not working or hanging. Just didn't know if it were something to look out for?

Bella,

I don't think you broke your gun. I don't have an XDM Elite but if I did, this is how I would go about it. I would think worst case scenario is that something has become misaligned.

The easiest process is to remove the the back strap again and with it off see that the grip safety works properly again. Is the grip safety centered on the grip? One possibility, it could be that something got inside while the backstrap was off. If the grip safety works properly with the backstrap off then start reinstalling the backstrap while constantly checking the grip safety for proper movement every step of the way. If it wants to bind up at any point during the process then something has become misaligned.

Good luck!

I had a nephew that played college hockey there. When he was at the dorm and called Domino's you had to have money in hand and open the door before he/she got out of their vehicle or else they would leave. This is when there was lots of snow and campus was closed. He did state ND was a stone throw away.
I straddle that state line every day when I go to work. I live in MN and work in ND.

Back