testtest

Questions about Red Dots for EDC?

Grayfox

Custom
I really don't know a lot about red dot sights. I've got a couple on target pistols and a couple of EOTechs on rifles. But this current trend of Micro Red Dots on EDC pistols leaves me with a couple of questions.
1. Do you leave it turned on all the time? Doesn't seem to me that there would be time to turn it on if needed.
2. Battery life? How long do they last? How difficult are they to change?
3. Holsters? Are good concealment holsters for these hard to find?
Anything else you'd like to add?

I'm kinda on the fence with these. Never really saw much need for one. But I am getting older and not the shooter I once was. So I'm open to the concept.

I really don't know a lot about red dot sights. I've got a couple on target pistols and a couple of EOTechs on rifles. But this current trend of Micro Red Dots on EDC pistols leaves me with a couple of questions.
1. Do you leave it turned on all the time? Doesn't seem to me that there would be time to turn it on if needed.

No. Most red dots today have what is called "MOTAC" feature, which turns itself off after a few seconds of inactivity, and then it "wakes up" as soon as it is moved. This greatly extends battery life, and there is no worry about needing to turn the RDS on or off.

See above. Battery life in most RDS is excellent these days. I change mine once a year, and even that is probably conservative. As far as ease of change, that's something worth paying attention to when selecting a micro RDS - some, like the Holosun, can be changed without removing the unit, others require removing the unit.

Not at all. There are many holsters being made these days that will accommodate a red dot.

For defensive carry, I prefer a 6 MOA dot over something smaller. There are some varying opinions about this, but for now I'll just share my preference and not launch into an essay as to why.

Expect a transition period to a new sighting system, but don't think that all needs to happen at the range. You can accomplish 95% of your red dot training in a safe place at home. Do lots of dry reps until acquiring the dot is automatic - it will take a little time, but it will happen with practice. Stay target focused the entire time, and practice bringing the dot into your field of view, rather than shifting your focus to the dot and then back to the target again - this is the key to speed and efficiency with a red dot, and once you can do it, you'll find that it can be faster than irons.

I'm kinda on the fence with these. Never really saw much need for one. But I am getting older and not the shooter I once was. So I'm open to the concept.
I am an Optics all the way guy, I will never buy another Non-optic ready pistol. I was a red dot guy up till I went Holosun SCS with their super Green dots and the 'doughnut of death'... I also have some CR's, MSC's and quite a few other red dot and micro red dots, I really love them. most of the new tech is auto on and auto off or shake awake and auto off, or in the case of the SCS, on/off with solar charger, supposedly good for a zillion hours or something crazy. Any good IWB holster can now be ordered with an optic cut these days and in the case of the Micro's, they really do not add much in the way of size to a ccw.

No. Most red dots today have what is called "MOTAC" feature, which turns itself off after a few seconds of inactivity, and then it "wakes up" as soon as it is moved. This greatly extends battery life, and there is no worry about needing to turn the RDS on or off.

See above. Battery life in most RDS is excellent these days. I change mine once a year, and even that is probably conservative. As far as ease of change, that's something worth paying attention to when selecting a micro RDS - some, like the Holosun, can be changed without removing the unit, others require removing the unit.

Not at all. There are many holsters being made these days that will accommodate a red dot.

For defensive carry, I prefer a 6 MOA dot over something smaller. There are some varying opinions about this, but for now I'll just share my preference and not launch into an essay as to why.

Expect a transition period to a new sighting system, but don't think that all needs to happen at the range. You can accomplish 95% of your red dot training in a safe place at home. Do lots of dry reps until acquiring the dot is automatic - it will take a little time, but it will happen with practice. Stay target focused the entire time, and practice bringing the dot into your field of view, rather than shifting your focus to the dot and then back to the target again - this is the key to speed and efficiency with a red dot, and once you can do it, you'll find that it can be faster than irons.
You beat me

Another option is the Holosun SCS…it’s always on, but is solar charged…indoor lights charge it as well,

Basically leave it in the light for a few hours every week, and it’ll go and go.

32MOA ring w/2 MOA dot (think EoTech reticle), just a 32 MOA ring, or just a 2 MOA dot for reticle options; it’s fast, it’s accurate…I do like.

Another option is the Holosun SCS…it’s always on, but is solar charged…indoor lights charge it as well,

Basically leave it in the light for a few hours every week, and it’ll go and go.

32MOA ring w/2 MOA dot (think EoTech reticle), just a 32 MOA ring, or just a 2 MOA dot for reticle options; it’s fast, it’s accurate…I do like.

The other nice thing about the SCS is it is low profile enough to work with standard height BUIS. I've had one on a PDP for the past 9 months and it's been flawless. I'm pretty sure my next RDS will be a SCS as well.

And I love how they make a model for may of the more popular guns that direct mount thus no need of a plate and you keep it low for great co witness.

The other nice thing about the SCS is it is low profile enough to work with standard height BUIS. I've had one on a PDP for the past 9 months and it's been flawless. I'm pretty sure my next RDS will be a SCS as well.
I’m ordering at least one for my VP9 Match; may also replace the DPP on my other VP9 OR with one…

And definitely getting a VP9SK with one as soon as the next HK rebate drops (can only use it once during promotion, otherwise I’d be getting one now).

The SCS is nice. I like the 507c too if you already have suppressor height sights.
Nothing else to add other than my go to for holsters, Muddy River Tactical makes most of their holsters already cut for optics, though they do ask on the order form. I’m waiting on one for my VP9SK right now.

I'm all in on red dots and have shared my thoughts many times on this forum. The one thing that I can't stress enough for long time irons sight folks is to stick with the red dot. Most legacy shooters find the transition difficult and get frustrated quickly. It will take time, but you have to practice and train with the red dot regularly to get that technique and muscle memory down. The key to running a red dot well is to bring the red dot up to your eye level. It sounds simple enough, but its amazing how many people - even experienced ones - duck their head to meet the dot, which will 100% leave you chasing the dot. Bring the dot up to your eye and 90% of the work is done. The other 50% is train, train, train. :)

I’m ordering at least one for my VP9 Match; may also replace the DPP on my other VP9 OR with one…

And definitely getting a VP9SK with one as soon as the next HK rebate drops (can only use it once during promotion, otherwise I’d be getting one now).
The DPP is like the Empire State Building compared to the SCS. I love the DPP, but you cant get around how tall it is.

I have heard lots of great things about the Holosun Micro Reflex Sights. You may want to check those out. I carry a G19 with a Trijicon RMR Type 2 and leave it in a medium setting. I shoot at least 3 days each month and I change the battery once every year as preventative maintenance. It has never died on me, I just don't want to wait for it to die.

I have heard lots of great things about the Holosun Micro Reflex Sights. You may want to check those out. I carry a G19 with a Trijicon RMR Type 2 and leave it in a medium setting. I shoot at least 3 days each month and I change the battery once every year as preventative maintenance. It has never died on me, I just don't want to wait for it to die.
Most of the well known names Holosun, Trijicon, Sig are a good place to start. They won’t disappoint.

100%

This thread was more about satisfying my curiosity than anything else. Those questions just came to mind when I thought about them. I don't currently own a gun that a micro red dot can be mounted on. Not sure if I wanna spend the money or cut up one of my current pistols either. :rolleyes:
I do have a Buckmark with an old Burris Fast Fire II on it. Honestly, every time I shoot it, I end searching for the dot. :rolleyes:

This thread was more about satisfying my curiosity than anything else. Those questions just came to mind when I thought about them. I don't currently own a gun that a micro red dot can be mounted on. Not sure if I wanna spend the money or cut up one of my current pistols either. :rolleyes:
I do have a Buckmark with an old Burris Fast Fire II on it. Honestly, every time I shoot it, I end searching for the dot. :rolleyes:
One thing that helps immensely during the transition is having co-witnessing iron sights.

1) yes it is always on.
2) change it every year on New Year's day. All of.mine have battery trays in the side of the body.
3) readily available for most common models

Back