testtest

Range Report - New VP9 and Modified Hellcat

belladonna

Professional
So, finally I was able to get to the range with my modified Hellcat and the new VP9. I have been itching to shoot these for weeks, but but with the stuff going on with my mom’s house in TX, work, and my husband changing jobs, things have been a little nuts. Long story short, I have signed on for a membership at another range and plan on at least two visits per week until weather cooperates for the outdoor ones to open.

First up was the VP9, and it was amazing. Better than I thought it might be. The trigger on it felt as crisp as my M&P 2.0, but as much as I love that S&W, the VP9 felt more like an extension of my arm. I ran one mag of S&B 115gr FMJ, and one mag of Critical Defense 115gr. The gun ran it all with no problems. I was really impressed and wished that I had brought the other mags for it. I didn’t concentrate so much on accuracy but on my grip and stance. I had a little difficulty with sight picture, as my eyes kept blurring up from a 10 hour shift in a dusty workplace.
IMG_3940.jpeg

Next up was my Hellcat with the new threaded barrel and compensator. Well, this one still had a lot of snap to her. I brought four magazines for her, 2 13rd and 2 15 rd. Let’s just say she’s still a snappy little…um, thing. This time it started to wear a hole in the skin on the web of my thumb and forefinger. My trigger finger was also pretty tender when I finished. By the time I finished with her, I sprayed the targets pretty good, lol. I ran two mags of the S&B and two of the Critical Defense with no issues.
IMG_3942.jpeg

It was too long since I had been to the range, and I have a lot of work to do. I know what I have to work on. This range has some good instructors and my membership gives me discounts on courses and individual training, so 2024 will be a busy year. That being said, I am always open to constructive criticism.. :)

Shooting was not that bad at all. Thats one of the reasons I got rid of my Hellcat, could not stand the snappy recoil. The VP9 is a great pistol and with using it more you will be amazed what you will be able to do with it. You are definitely on the right track.

Hey @belladonna!

Thanks for sharing your fun! Ya know, my targets have a lot of wide hits like that when I take my eye off the front sight, looking at the target too soon just to see where I hit. I've been trying to train myself to keep a good sight alignment, keep my eye on the front sight, all the way through the trigger press. I know you have a good grip, the gun is not going to fly out of your hand. Just let it recoil and don't worry about it. Don't grip too tightly with your strong hand, it's hard to get a straight trigger pull. Grip a little more with your off hand and leave your trigger finger to act more independently.

Please take these words with a grain of salt. I'm no expert but these mental exercises seem to help me if I practice them properly. I'm still a little more low-left than I want to be. Keep up the good work. You've got a couple of nice pistols. Practicing twice a week will have you tightening up those groups in no time.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Hey @belladonna!

Thanks for sharing your fun! Ya know, my targets have a lot of wide hits like that when I take my eye off the front sight, looking at the target too soon just to see where I hit. I've been trying to train myself to keep a good sight alignment, keep my eye on the front sight, all the way through the trigger press. I know you have a good grip, the gun is not going to fly out of your hand. Just let it recoil and don't worry about it. Don't grip too tightly with your strong hand, it's hard to get a straight trigger pull. Grip a little more with your off hand and leave your trigger finger to act more independently.

Please take these words with a grain of salt. I'm no expert but these mental exercises seem to help me if I practice them properly. I'm still a little more low-left than I want to be. Keep up the good work. You've got a couple of nice pistols. Practicing twice a week will have you tightening up those groups in no time.

BassCliff
Thank you for the pointers Cliff. They are all appreciated! ☺️

Thank you for your comments and pointers! I truly appreciate them all. My husband thinks he's a crack shot always and doesn't show any interest in coming to the range even when he's not on the road. I can't afford a lot of individual instruction right now, although what few sessions I have had echo some of what you guys have said here. None of my friends (and I am a loner, so there aren't many) are gun people, so I am a loner at the range as well.

Again, I thank you and appreciate all of your pointers and advice! :cool::love:

Thank you for your comments and pointers! I truly appreciate them all. My husband thinks he's a crack shot always and doesn't show any interest in coming to the range even when he's not on the road. I can't afford a lot of individual instruction right now, although what few sessions I have had echo some of what you guys have said here. None of my friends (and I am a loner, so there aren't many) are gun people, so I am a loner at the range as well.

It really comes down to working out the fundamental stuff first. Stance, Grip, sight picture, breathe, sear engagement, breathe, sight picture, breathe, press straight back. Don't forget to breathe.

You can work the rest out once you get that sorted. :cool:

Here's another site that allows a person to print targets for free. Just specify the one you want or you'll end up printing them all.

Last edited:
Hey @belladonna!

BassCliff
When you’re shooting low and left like this…

That little cluster low left has about 8 rounds. Getting used to a brand new gun. First 50 rounds. Gun is center in 2nd picture down.

IMG_6633.jpeg

IMG_6634.jpeg

I was finally able to take the VP9 back to the range after work today. My shoulder has been a real beast the last few days, so I only ran four magazines.
It felt good. Really good. I could cull the herd and this one would be Alpha (of my 9 mils anyway). My goal this year is to hit the range at least twice a week. I want to get my money’s worth for the membership, but I also want to train. It feels good.

7 yards. First pic was S&B 115gr. Second pic was Winchester white 115gr. She ate it up. No problems

IMG_3952.jpeg
IMG_3953.jpeg

I was finally able to take the VP9 back to the range after work today. My shoulder has been a real beast the last few days, so I only ran four magazines.
It felt good. Really good. I could cull the herd and this one would be Alpha (of my 9 mils anyway). My goal this year is to hit the range at least twice a week. I want to get my money’s worth for the membership, but I also want to train. It feels good.

7 yards. First pic was S&B 115gr. Second pic was Winchester white 115gr. She ate it up. No problems

View attachment 51978View attachment 51979
Gun day is fun day !!

Keep at it …

View attachment 51978View attachment 51979
Very nice. :cool:

Back