testtest

Rebluing

OK, was able to hobble down to the shop today fro a couple quick pics. This is the 'cold blue" I used and even though it doesn't show up in the attachment, in real life under just the right light it shows a very suttle dark blue undertone under the black from the rust convertor. I simply wiped it on with a micro fiber cloth after a real good cleaning with acetone. Make sure any acetone is absolutely dry before applying the cold blue, but don't wait long enough for any visible surface rust to form.

As for the anvil itself, I very carefully used a right angle grinder to take off only where there was any metal rolled over on itself from years of hammering to ensure there was no rust growing underneath it. Too much grinding on the surface of an antique anvil will decrease it's value much like doing the wrong thing to an old firearm.

After a good going over with the grinder, I spent probably 20+ hours with a hand-held Dremel using miniature grinding wheels, rotary tools and mini wire brushes to clean rust from any/all tiny nicks, gouges, and hammer marks over the whole thing. Then a complete rub down with a good buffing compound followed by a soap/water wash down and a good blow dry with a hot air gun.

Then the acetone wash followed by the cold blue solution. I was afraid it would leave streaks but it flowed on as smooth as you could ask for and dried to a flawless finish.....very dark blue (almost black) but almost translucent. I used a pale blue finger nail polish thinned with acetone to paint/highlight the cast lettering showing the manufacturer's (Peter Wright) foundry, patent approval and weight characters.

The weight can be read from the three numbers across the waist just visible under the chain. The first number is in English Hundredweight (1 HW = 112 lbs) so a 'zero' indicates it weighs less than 112 lbs, a 1 would indicate it weighs at least 112 lbs. A 2 would mean 224 lbs, etc. So then we move to the second number which is a 3. That number is a multiple of 25% of a HW, or 28 lbs, so a 3 would indicate 3*28=84 lbs. To that number then we add the total of the third number or 3 which give us a total weight of 0+84+3=87 lbs. And I can promise you it weighed every pound of that every time I had to lift it to move it or turn it while working on it.

BTW, the patent date for that particular anvil was 1852 and that particular patent marking was used up until either 1860 or 1885 one or the other ..... couldn't nail it down exactly. But the anvil came into the Bryant family's hands in 1893. So, from all that we can deduce it is at the very least 136 yrs old, probably more like 150-170 yrs old. At any rate the family has owned it for about 128 yrs and it is a very prized family possession. Mr. Bryant was a little hesitant to let me do anything to it, but based on some examples of some of my work he had seen, he agreed to it. And in the final analysis he loved it. And according to our info we did nothing to hamper the real collectors value of it. That would be somewhere in the neighborhood of between $6-$8 lb restored correctly. Around $650-$700 to the first collector, probably more at auction.

Anyway, that's about it for today. Hope identifying the cold blue product helps you. 20210416_151532.jpg20210416_151635.jpg20210416_151704.jpg
I enjoyed very much doing the restoration for the family, it was a lot of fun and even educational.

As an aside, any of you who might run across a reasonably good anvil out in somebody's weed patch or flower garden and they'd like to sell it, please let me know along with some contact info. That's where you'll find probably 80%-90% of them all these days just rusting away. I'd be interesting in buying some of them at a reasonable cost just to do the restoration on them for a collection of my own.

One last thing in case you are interested. The mounting you see here is pretty much true to form for attaching an anvil to a stump. The chain not only helps hold it down to whatever pedestal it's mounted on, but the wrapping of chain around the waist helps reduce and dull the constant hammer ringing. Gotta understand just how bad that could get at the end of a long day. And back in the day there was little to no hearing protection even known, much less available and used.

OK, was able to hobble down to the shop today fro a couple quick pics. This is the 'cold blue" I used and even though it doesn't show up in the attachment, in real life under just the right light it shows a very suttle dark blue undertone under the black from the rust convertor. I simply wiped it on with a micro fiber cloth after a real good cleaning with acetone. Make sure any acetone is absolutely dry before applying the cold blue, but don't wait long enough for any visible surface rust to form.

As for the anvil itself, I very carefully used a right angle grinder to take off only where there was any metal rolled over on itself from years of hammering to ensure there was no rust growing underneath it. Too much grinding on the surface of an antique anvil will decrease it's value much like doing the wrong thing to an old firearm.

After a good going over with the grinder, I spent probably 20+ hours with a hand-held Dremel using miniature grinding wheels, rotary tools and mini wire brushes to clean rust from any/all tiny nicks, gouges, and hammer marks over the whole thing. Then a complete rub down with a good buffing compound followed by a soap/water wash down and a good blow dry with a hot air gun.

Then the acetone wash followed by the cold blue solution. I was afraid it would leave streaks but it flowed on as smooth as you could ask for and dried to a flawless finish.....very dark blue (almost black) but almost translucent. I used a pale blue finger nail polish thinned with acetone to paint/highlight the cast lettering showing the manufacturer's (Peter Wright) foundry, patent approval and weight characters.

The weight can be read from the three numbers across the waist just visible under the chain. The first number is in English Hundredweight (1 HW = 112 lbs) so a 'zero' indicates it weighs less than 112 lbs, a 1 would indicate it weighs at least 112 lbs. A 2 would mean 224 lbs, etc. So then we move to the second number which is a 3. That number is a multiple of 25% of a HW, or 28 lbs, so a 3 would indicate 3*28=84 lbs. To that number then we add the total of the third number or 3 which give us a total weight of 0+84+3=87 lbs. And I can promise you it weighed every pound of that every time I had to lift it to move it or turn it while working on it.

BTW, the patent date for that particular anvil was 1852 and that particular patent marking was used up until either 1860 or 1885 one or the other ..... couldn't nail it down exactly. But the anvil came into the Bryant family's hands in 1893. So, from all that we can deduce it is at the very least 136 yrs old, probably more like 150-170 yrs old. At any rate the family has owned it for about 128 yrs and it is a very prized family possession. Mr. Bryant was a little hesitant to let me do anything to it, but based on some examples of some of my work he had seen, he agreed to it. And in the final analysis he loved it. And according to our info we did nothing to hamper the real collectors value of it. That would be somewhere in the neighborhood of between $6-$8 lb restored correctly. Around $650-$700 to the first collector, probably more at auction.

Anyway, that's about it for today. Hope identifying the cold blue product helps you.View attachment 16780View attachment 16781View attachment 16782
I enjoyed very much doing the restoration for the family, it was a lot of fun and even educational.

As an aside, any of you who might run across a reasonably good anvil out in somebody's weed patch or flower garden and they'd like to sell it, please let me know along with some contact info. That's where you'll find probably 80%-90% of them all these days just rusting away. I'd be interesting in buying some of them at a reasonable cost just to do the restoration on them for a collection of my own.
Wow! Very Nice job JJ!
Even small anvils are far from light!
Going into restoration of almost anything's usually very educational. Generally know more during, coming out than when going in from experience. Anvils, when found, are generally laying around in weeds or old shops collecting rust or restored. Just like many heavy duty bench vices are. Very often some people think they're worth their weight in gold too? Both are fairly rare around here anymore. But beware? Shipping costs often prohibitive on both as well.

One last thing in case you are interested. The mounting you see here is pretty much true to form for attaching an anvil to a stump. The chain not only helps hold it down to whatever pedestal it's mounted on, but the wrapping of chain around the waist helps reduce and dull the constant hammer ringing. Gotta understand just how bad that could get at the end of a long day. And back in the day there was little to no hearing protection even known, much less available and used.
Yup, where there's an anvil, there should be a chain holding it....lag bolts are known for loosening and giving way under stress. Gravity rules. No one needs to be wearing an anvil on their feet.

Wow! Very Nice job JJ!
Even small anvils are far from light!
Going into restoration of almost anything's usually very educational. Generally know more during, coming out than when going in from experience. Anvils, when found, are generally laying around in weeds or old shops collecting rust or restored. Just like many heavy duty bench vices are. Very often some people think they're worth their weight in gold too? Both are fairly rare around here anymore. But beware? Shipping costs often prohibitive on both as well.
Thanks much for the kind words there BobM. I really did enjoy doing it after a lot of years. Back about 50 years ago or so I worked in a small fabrication shop owned by a man who actually had a collection of anvils. I'd never heard of such a crazy thing, but it did draw my interest. As I recall he had a couple dozen of them, all sizes from a miniature jeweler's anvil (about 2" long and probably 12-14oz's in weight to a giant beast that if I remember correctly weighed in the neighborhood of 1200 lbs. I remember to this day his most sincere warning relative to anvils and that was "never buy a cast iron anvil .... if you do, one day it'll ruin your foot." LOL! Took a long time for me to figure out just what he meant.

Anyway, some he had when I went to work with him were already restored and some not. One day he asked me if I'd like to give it a try ...... I said well hell yeh!!! And that was my first interest in and involvement with anvils. Over many years I've worked around horses at various times and got familiar with most aspects of farrier work using an anvil. Not a pro by any means, just something I always enjoyed messing around with but never really had the time nor could I afford to much of it.

And for the obsrver, hope this info on my cold blue product will help your project.

Back