testtest

Recoil Springs

Scevaph

Elite
A question again on recoil springs. In particular Recoil springs in a 9mm full size 1911.

Per Wolff Gunsprings:
COLT 1911 FACTORY RECOIL SPRING NOTES
1. Factory rating for super .38 & 9mm is 14 Lbs.
2. Factory rating in .40 S&W is 19 Lbs.
3. Factory rating for the Colt .38 Spl. Midrange is 14 Lbs.
4. Factory rating for the Colt Ace .22 conversion is 14 Lbs.
and Factory rating in .45 auto is 16 Lbs.

Does anyone actually use a 14 lb in your nines?

Springfield from what I could find uses a 9 lb spring in their 5" 9mm 1911's
Why so light? Do they assume most people will mostly use light factory loads with 115 grain bullets?

I like to think the factories know what is best but it seems there is some variation in which spring ratings they use.

I prefer 124 grain loads myself and the warmer ones at 181 - 1200 FPS in FMJ and 124 Gr +P Gold Dots at 1220 fps so I am running a 12 lb spring in my full size 1911 ( SA Ronin ). I did keep the original and I also have an 11 lb in case of need.
I wanted to strike a balance with good functioning and not beating up my pistol.

What do you with much more experience run in yours?

A question again on recoil springs. In particular Recoil springs in a 9mm full size 1911.

Per Wolff Gunsprings:
COLT 1911 FACTORY RECOIL SPRING NOTES
1. Factory rating for super .38 & 9mm is 14 Lbs.
2. Factory rating in .40 S&W is 19 Lbs.
3. Factory rating for the Colt .38 Spl. Midrange is 14 Lbs.
4. Factory rating for the Colt Ace .22 conversion is 14 Lbs.
and Factory rating in .45 auto is 16 Lbs.

Springfield from what I could find uses a 9 lb spring in their 5" 9mm 1911's
Why so light? Do they assume most people will mostly use light factory loads with 115 grain bullets?

I like to think the factories know what is best but it seems there is some variation in which spring ratings they use.

I prefer 124 grain loads myself and the warmer ones at 181 - 1200 FPS in FMJ and 124 Gr +P Gold Dots at 1220 fps so I am running a 12 lb spring in my full size 1911 ( SA Ronin ). I did keep the original and I also have an 11 lb in case of need.
I wanted to strike a balance with good functioning and not beating up my pistol.

What do you with much more experience run in yours?
On my Kimber and Springfield RO, both 9mm, I use the factory 12lb that Kimber’s uses, the RO had a 9lb, to weak so I installed a 12lb like the Kimber.
Now on a full size 1911 in .45, I always switch from the factory 16 lb to a 18 1/2 lb variable rate spring

I use a 12# Wilson spring in my 5" 9mm Garrison. Springfield confirmed the oem was 9# but couldn't explain why the aftermarket suggests an upgrade.

I generally run recoil springs in my 1911s at about 2-2.5 lbs over standard. I feel this makes for less battering, more positive feeding and you don't have to chase brass into the next county. ;)
In my 1911's all in 45ACP I use 18 1/2 lb springs. My handloads are pretty hot as well are factory defensive rounds.

In my 1911's all in 45ACP I use 18 1/2 lb springs. My handloads are pretty hot as well are factory defensive rounds.
I used 19# on all my 5" 1911s, and 20# or 21# on my Commanders. My standard load was 5.3/231 behind any locally-procured lead bullet from 200 grain SWCs to 230 grain RNs and truncated-cone "USAF bullets". 5.3/231/200 was what I shot the most of. That's a VERY mild load, a starting load on most charts, and yet that load ran perfectly in all my guns. It ran so well and so consistently that it was actually remarkable. I still have several hundred, maybe even several thousand of those loaded up somewhere. :oops:

I used 19# on all my 5" 1911s, and 20# or 21# on my Commanders. My standard load was 5.3/231 behind any locally-procured lead bullet from 200 grain SWCs to 230 grain RNs and truncated-cone "USAF bullets". 5.3/231/200 was what I shot the most of. That's a VERY mild load, a starting load on most charts, and yet that load ran perfectly in all my guns. It ran so well and so consistently that it was actually remarkable. I still have several hundred, maybe even several thousand of those loaded up somewhere. :oops:
With 18.5 springs the slide is hard enough to rack for my old hands. 230 fmj 6.0/ 231, 230 cast 5.8/ 231 & 200 swc's 5.7/ 231. I cast my own 230Rn's & 200 SWC's. I tried going up to 6.2 on the 230's and 200's, too much leading. You can't scratch my cast bullets. They are very hard, used a lot of Linotype with tin, antimony & lead.

I started with 5.3 of 231, planning to work up to 5.8 or even 6.0 to get a good (reliable and accurate) load. 5.3/231 worked so well in everything that I never even tried anything else.

I understand you were looking for an accurate load that functioned reliably and maybe a pleasure to shoot. I on the other hand was trying to get velocities and recoil as close to defensive rounds without paying the big bucks. The vast majority of my practice has to do with self defense scenarios. My only 9mm handload is a Hornady 147 gr XTP bullet over 5.0 grains of Power Pistol powder.

I understand you were looking for an accurate load that functioned reliably and maybe a pleasure to shoot. I on the other hand was trying to get velocities and recoil as close to defensive rounds without paying the big bucks. The vast majority of my practice has to do with self defense scenarios. My only 9mm handload is a Hornady 147 gr XTP bullet over 5.0 grains of Power Pistol powder.
My point was, I was amazed that this mild load functioned perfectly with 19# and 20# recoil springs, which are now too hard for me to comfortably cycle. Gonna replace them with factory standard 16# springs and I should be good to go. ;)

I agree with you. On paper the 19 & 20lb springs could cause failures to feed. You're proof, at least in your pistols, the heavier springs don't cause any reliability issues with moderate loads. Good luck to you.

Yes, I don't know why SA recommends 9 lbs.
It could be because Springfield uses a heavier Hammer Spring

Wolff for Springfield:
HAMMER SPRINGS (mainsprings)
For use in:
Full-size ILS Hammer Lock Systems
Reduced Power...: 24, 26, 28 Lb.
Factory Standard.: 30 Lb.
Extra Power........: None Available

Wolff for Colt:
For use in:
Colt 1911, 1911A1, 1991, Government, MKIV, Gold Cup, & Commander in .45 ACP , Super .38/9mm calibers and Delta Elite 10mm.
Factory Standard : 23 Lb.

It could be because Springfield uses a heavier Hammer Spring

Wolff for Springfield:
HAMMER SPRINGS (mainsprings)
For use in:
Full-size ILS Hammer Lock Systems
Reduced Power...: 24, 26, 28 Lb.
Factory Standard.: 30 Lb.
Extra Power........: None Available

Wolff for Colt:
For use in:
Colt 1911, 1911A1, 1991, Government, MKIV, Gold Cup, & Commander in .45 ACP , Super .38/9mm calibers and Delta Elite 10mm.
Factory Standard : 23 Lb.

That was in the ILS Mainspring housing; They use a standard non-ILS MSH in the Ronin (and I believe other 1911's now) I am pretty sure SA is using a 23# mainspring in the non ILS MSH's)

My question is specific to the 5" 9mm. Recommendations: Stay with the 12? Go back to the 9# or drop back to 11#

Even the OEM's don't agree

Kimber and STI appear to use 12#, Colt uses 14#, Wilson appears to use 13# flat wire, Dan Wesson Seems to use a 10 or 12# and Springfield uses a 9# ( I am wondering if this is a throwback to when they used the ILS Housing with it's 28# mainspring) This seems to be opinion based as I doubt there is material difference in the slide mass / mechanics.

11# and 12# seem to be the most popularly recommended

for me personally, i don't mess around with spring rates regarding recoil.

that's just me, and all my 9mm guns run either factory 115, 124, 147 with no issues.
I don’t play with springs in automatics (at least as long as its working as intended. I’ve seen several pieces of various flavors whose reliability dropped after installing different rated springs.

It seems like opinions / experience on this is all over the map. While most seem to be in the 10, 11, or 12 lb Recoil spring area some like the 9 # and some go even heavier to 13 lb.

I decided to ask the question to Ed Brown and Wilson

Ed Brown : Our recommendation for standard pressure ammo is 10 lbs, so if you're shooting a hotter load, suggest going with a heavier spring. We also suggest contacting Springfield regarding their recommendation for +P in their firearms.

Wilson: For plus P 9mm I would go with a 13LB and a 12LB for standard ammunition.

For Springfield Armory. I called them as I wanted to ask about + P as suggested by Ed Brown
The official stance is: Any standard 9mm ammunition is OK. NATO or + P 9mm ammo is OK in a full size (5") 1911 but they don't recommend a steady diet as you could get more wear over time. They won't recommend +P+ as there is no SAAMI standard. Non +P 124 gr, even the 1181 fps or the Norma 1181 FMJ (Hungarian or Swiss?) and 1200 fps TMJ (US assembled) loads are fine. ( Norma told me that the thinner jacket on the TMJ loading as mostly where the extra speed to get 1200 come from)
As far as springs; SA assembles them with a 9 lb spring to cover the spectrum of standard ammo from lighter 115 grain loads to the standard heavier bullet loads. and occasional +P. They said if I was using the 1181 - 1200 FPS 124 gr ball ammo and the Speer 124 Gr +P gold dots it wouldn't hurt anything to bump it up a pound or two. I went ahead and removed the 12 lb spring and put an 11 lb in as kind of a middle ground. Now I'll see where the ejected cases land and how it shoots ( muzzle dip etc ). For my Ronin and the factory loads used I don't think I would want to go heavier than a 12 lb action spring and I think the 11 lb may good. Time will tell.

I probably think too much but I am by nature curious and want to learn all the time. This is actually the first 9mm of any make that I have ever owned. My previous 1911 was a .45 Cot Series 70 and back then 40 years ago I just shot the heck out of it and knew little about spring rates etc. I also like to tinker now that I have retired.

Just a side note on all this, is if you're running a Commander-type 1911 those may need a different poundage of recoil spring (heavier) because of the lighter slide weight of the shorter slide.

My .02

Back