testtest

Red dots and the choices you made

I don't know if I have astigmatism or not. I know I need cheaters to read up close these days. My long range vision seems to be fine. According to eye charts I have 20-20 in one eye and 20-30 in the other. Nevertheless, I see a tinge of starburst regardless of which optic I am looking through. Just a tinge. I'll still blow your eyeball out at 50 yards so I don't care.
Some facts on astigmatism.

I was born with astigmatism in both eyes with my left eye being the worst.

Photo of it on the hellcat

Attachments

• A2B1F827-00FB-4B8E-A187-617FDBB3D97F.jpeg
    A2B1F827-00FB-4B8E-A187-617FDBB3D97F.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 162
  • 325998E3-7276-4335-8B43-F581D7DB373A.jpeg
    325998E3-7276-4335-8B43-F581D7DB373A.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 137
Photo of it on the hellcat
That is an extremely small screen. If you pull that gun in a high pressure situation I can see how that red dot might be quite difficult to find. Also, I have no problem with Bushnell products, particularly if you are on a budget, but if you’re going to put a red dot on an EDC gun I would want something that is a known quantity and is known for its quality. Just my .02c.

I have a Hellcat RDP, so that came with the Hex Wasp. Not bad. It works. For my Saint, I have a Romeo 5. I recently added the Juliet 4 magnifier. Good concept, except my astigmatism doesn't play well with the magnifier. I get a "comet" effect of 5-6 dots. I've heard people with astigmatism have problems with red dots, but in this case, my problem only happens with the magnifier. Guess I'll have to sell the Juliet...sorry Romeo, I tried!

I have a Hellcat RDP, so that came with the Hex Wasp. Not bad. It works. For my Saint, I have a Romeo 5. I recently added the Juliet 4 magnifier. Good concept, except my astigmatism doesn't play well with the magnifier. I get a "comet" effect of 5-6 dots. I've heard people with astigmatism have problems with red dots, but in this case, my problem only happens with the magnifier. Guess I'll have to sell the Juliet...sorry Romeo, I tried!
I had the same issue. Romeo 5 was ok by itself but the magnifier created the comet. I ended up putting a Sig Bravo 5 on. The clarity is extraordinary and the reticle is etched, so no distortion. It has windage and elevation marks as well. A bit pricier than the Romeo 5 but we’ll worth it.

We’ll here’s an update, my Romeo zero Elite lasted about 2 months, then dead battery.. replaced the battery, about 3 weeks later dead again. And I do have the sticker between the optic and slide.... I’m currently on vacation, when I get home I’m planning to contact sig sauer.

I'm a holosun fan. I do better with green, and they are the only ones I have found that don't cost more than the handgun I'm putting it on.
@Grumps

I totally agree with you about the Holoson Green Dot!!!

Just picked up the Holosun 508T GR X2, which has the solar panel charging system, which is protected by the Titanium housing. Holosun is affordable and has excellent customer service. Just sent my newer 507C GR X2 back for service had an issue of the dot fading out after recoil and not turning back on. Called customer service and they walked me through a check then decided that I needed to send it in for repair!!! So far it's been a pleasure to deal with Holosun Customer Service. But the 508T GR X2 is now my favorite.

For MSR's (Modern Sporting rifles) I've run an Aimpoint Comp M5 Reddot on my primary carbine. I'm a Retired Guy now, and no longer chase badguys, all kitted up outside the wire in Iraq. Or chase badguys on the street in the Eastbay, so I've downgrade on some of my optic choices. Not everyone can afford to put an Aimpoint on each of their MSRs or pistols. I'm running cheaper red dots such as Sig Romeo 7S and Holosuns. I'm actually looking at the 510 to put on my Remy 870.

@Grumps

I totally agree with you about the Holoson Green Dot!!!

Just picked up the Holosun 508T GR X2, which has the solar panel charging system, which is protected by the Titanium housing. Holosun is affordable and has excellent customer service. Just sent my newer 507C GR X2 back for service had an issue of the dot fading out after recoil and not turning back on. Called customer service and they walked me through a check then decided that I needed to send it in for repair!!! So far it's been a pleasure to deal with Holosun Customer Service. But the 508T GR X2 is now my favorite.

For MSR's (Modern Sporting rifles) I've run an Aimpoint Comp M5 Reddot on my primary carbine. I'm a Retired Guy now, and no longer chase badguys, all kitted up outside the wire in Iraq. Or chase badguys on the street in the Eastbay, so I've downgrade on some of my optic choices. Not everyone can afford to put an Aimpoint on each of their MSRs or pistols. I'm running cheaper red dots such as Sig Romeo 7S and Holosuns. I'm actually looking at the 510 to put on my Remy 870.
I have the 510c on my 1301 T. It will quickly become your favorite.

I found the circle dot cool initially, but eventually it felt like it obscured the target beyond 10 yds and I went back to the dot.

My personal opinion is the circle+ dot is fantastic for shotguns. Really it is unbeatable for shotguns. I think you could train yourself not to pay attention to the circle with an AR, but why would you when you can just use the dot without the circle. There is no point in the circle with a single projectile in my opinion. With a shotgun and the right load and a good zero you can have the best of both worlds. Pinpoint accuracy with a slug and a nice circle you can reliably assume all your pellets will stay inside of with buckshot.

Back