testtest

Red Light Flashlight for hunting

@KLGunner reach/throw? or do you need a wider-field-of-view?

Look at the specs of the light you are about to buy, and you'll typically today see the "lumens" figure highlighted. Think of this as the raw power that's going across the LED's die: kinda like how far you've turned on the tap at the faucet.

This figure, by itself, has little meaning.

What you will want to look for is the "candela" or "lux" figure that is also sometimes listed (and if the light doesn't list it? either move on to something that does or contact the manufacturer/vendor). The higher the number here, the more focused the light: think of it as how far you've got your thumb closed over the end of the hose or what sprayer attachment you've got affixed to that end.

With the lumens figure held the same -
  • A lower candela/lux figure typically means that the light is more diffuse, illuminating a wider area more evenly. The light is sometimes referred to as "casting a wall of light."
  • A higher candela/lux typically means that the light is more focused and will be "thrown" farther.
While I cannot make any good specific recommendations regarding a light for your application, I hope that this bit of general know-how can help guide you on your search, and help you make sense of some of the specs that are often thrown about. :)

Caveat: The map might not correctly showing the red and green states... read your own state.

For example, I just glanced and saw Alabama in Green, but reading the text it says:
"Night Hunting: Not Allowed, it shall be unlawful for anyone to use or possess any device as a predatory call during nighttime hours while in possession of any type of firearm or when any member of a group is in possession of any type of firearm. It shall be unlawful for any person to hunt with a bow or gun that has a light source attached that is capable of casting a beam of light (including a laser sight) forward of said bow or gun or to possess such a light source adapted for attachment to said bow or gun while hunting.
Night Vision: Not Allowed, It shall be unlawful to possess any equipment that uses electronics to increase the ability to see in the dark (night vision equipment) while hunting any species of wildlife, both protected or unprotected species."

In VA we can use it for hunting specific pests. No deer hunting and no lights on cars.
And don't you dare to hunt Sunday.
Night Hunting: Allowed, All hunting is prohibited on Sunday except for raccoons which may be hunted until 2:00 am on Sunday mornings. Bobcat, foxes, raccoons, and opossums may be hunted by day or night during authorized seasons. Nuisance species (coyote, feral hogs, groundhog, nutria) may be taken day or night.
Night Vision: Allowed, Lights may be used as long as the light is not attached to or cast from a vehicle. Night vision scopes and laser sights may be used. Above information verified by Virginia Dept of Game & Inland Fisheries.

You can use all kinds of flashlights, red, green, and so on. In general, they can be found on Amazon. Look at some models and buy yourself an AR-15.

I have been using a Kill Light from Elusive Wildlife on my AR for night hunting hogs for years. With the extended tube it is very powerful and reaches out in the dark. I use the green light for hogs because they do not see that spectrum and you don't spook them with the light. It also can be changed to white or red. It is a serious piece of equipment. I also attended a LE low light instructor course with it on my AR and the other instructors wanted to know where I got that light.

You can use all kinds of flashlights, red, green, and so on. In general, they can be found on Amazon. Look at some models and buy yourself an AR-15.
You can use all kinds of flashlights, red, green, and so on. In general, they can be found on Amazon. Look at some models and buy yourself an AR-15. I'm sure you'll like the feeling at night while it makes your way visible. By the way, I bought this tactical flashlight for hunting -- https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Flashlight-Flashlights-Water-Resistant-Accessories/dp/B089T8HDBV -- and by the way, also on Amazon. And for the most part, I hang it on my chest, or I hold a gun in my second hand and in the first. The red light flashlight is also cool if I need to shoot an animal close by. Maybe I will also get such a flashlight someday.

Back