testtest

Regrets

My biggest regret is having stayed with my ex as long as I did. 33 years I kept hoping things would get better.

Well they say wisdom is gained with age. :unsure:
My ex's biggest regret is staying with me for thirty six years, but it took her that long to get all the clothes and $$ she wanted for the rest of her life; that's been sixteen years ago and she's still as unhappy as she was before.

Filthy lucre
she got the pile
I got the smile..............

Biggest regret, not joining the Marine Corps after I graduated high school. I got cold feet, plain and simple, no excuses. My best friend who joined the Army right out of high school ended up becoming a friggin' Apache attack helicopter pilot, retired as a Captain a few years ago, and is now an aviation consultant. The military paid for his education all the way thru to his PhD. He has a doctorate in electrical engineering now courtesy of his service to our country, which he very well deserves. My life would have turned out VERY differently had I not gotten scared and just went to college in my hometown because it was safer and more predictable. As a result, I'm the same safe, predictable milquetoast that I was back then......oh well, I guess.
Respect. On one hand you're right; your life could have been much different, downright amazing even! On the other hand, the grass isn't always greener. While my time in the military was some of the best in my life, I've been out for 11 years now and still haven't gotten comfortable out here, and I understand that I probably never will. I often think that I should have stayed in, but remind myself of the amazing things that I have in my life that I wouldn't if I had stayed. We'll always have struggles no matter the path we choose, as life is just that, struggle, but I admit that some of the things I feel daily get pretty old. Sorry I kind of broke off there.

Life is full of choices and consequences. It looks like we've all made choices in our lives, some good and some bad. It also seems like the people here accept the consequences of the individual choices we have made. We may not be happy about them but at least we accept them and move on with life.

Respect. On one hand you're right; your life could have been much different, downright amazing even! On the other hand, the grass isn't always greener. While my time in the military was some of the best in my life, I've been out for 11 years now and still haven't gotten comfortable out here, and I understand that I probably never will. I often think that I should have stayed in, but remind myself of the amazing things that I have in my life that I wouldn't if I had stayed. We'll always have struggles no matter the path we choose, as life is just that, struggle, but I admit that some of the things I feel daily get pretty old. Sorry I kind of broke off there.
You didn't break off at all, what you said makes a lot of sense. I very much appreciate your service to our country. That's one reason I know I should have went with my gut and joined the military, because I've ALWAYS, since I was a very young child, felt VERY deeply respectful of anyone in the military. The theme of sacrifice, service, living your life by a code of conduct, all that seemed very real to me all during my childhood. So it came as quite a shock to myself when I basically decided to back slide on my lifelong dream of joining the Marine Corps when I graduated high school. It did not thing to change how I thought and still think of all members of the military, I greatly respect all of you, but I wish I would have chosen to be one of you instead of the path I took. Stay safe and I hope you have a good week, sir.

You didn't break off at all, what you said makes a lot of sense. I very much appreciate your service to our country. That's one reason I know I should have went with my gut and joined the military, because I've ALWAYS, since I was a very young child, felt VERY deeply respectful of anyone in the military. The theme of sacrifice, service, living your life by a code of conduct, all that seemed very real to me all during my childhood. So it came as quite a shock to myself when I basically decided to back slide on my lifelong dream of joining the Marine Corps when I graduated high school. It did not thing to change how I thought and still think of all members of the military, I greatly respect all of you, but I wish I would have chosen to be one of you instead of the path I took. Stay safe and I hope you have a good week, sir.
Funny, I feel the same way. I was a few days away from joining the Marine Corps on the " Buddy" program with a friend of mine right before Desert Shield. I backed out. He didn't. I regret it. He's still one of my closest friends and currently a federal security guard at a local national park. I will say he has terrible taste in firearms though. :)

My biggest regret is staying to long in a marriage 25 years should of called it quits long time ago young high school sweetheart but got two beautiful kids out of it . But if I never stay with her that long maybe I would of not met my love of my live my wife of 11 years I am truly bless and happy

Many morsels of wisdom I accumulated over the years I got by doing things (or saying things) that were very unwise. Nothing teaches you better than totally blowing it.

"By experience we find out a short way by a long wandering." - Roger Ascham

I have a brother in law that though he was in National Guard many years expressed he always felt he should have served (as I did) in VN but did not have/take the opportunity. Two sides to this coin. I come from a family with an impressive record of military service beginning in WWII and all the wars since. I volunteered for the military then volunteered for VN. I would NEVER encourage my children to join the military or make a career of it! Except that it would be a personal challenge or training they could benefit/be rewarded for in life apart from the military. I am proud of my service (and acknowledge/admire the millions since that have served/sacrificed) and do not regret it but realized after the fact that I was simply a speck/number/tool being used in a grand machine for purposes that (with a bit of maturity/wisdom) I did not support and values I do not approve of but followed orders and the code with no question and no voice to do otherwise. Fresh out of high school and still wet behind the ears I naively believed the clarion call of the time to "Stop Communism!", "preserve Freedom", "serve your Nation proudly" and on and on. And lo fifty eight years later I'm swimming against the current in my homeland of what I fought to oppose in that far away land then???

Don't you ever feel less a man/person or inferior because you did not have the military experience! You are equal to us all.

I have a brother in law that though he was in National Guard many years expressed he always felt he should have served (as I did) in VN but did not have/take the opportunity. Two sides to this coin. I come from a family with an impressive record of military service beginning in WWII and all the wars since. I volunteered for the military then volunteered for VN. I would NEVER encourage my children to join the military or make a career of it! Except that it would be a personal challenge or training they could benefit/be rewarded for in life apart from the military. I am proud of my service (and acknowledge/admire the millions since that have served/sacrificed) and do not regret it but realized after the fact that I was simply a speck/number/tool being used in a grand machine for purposes that (with a bit of maturity/wisdom) I did not support and values I do not approve of but followed orders and the code with no question and no voice to do otherwise. Fresh out of high school and still wet behind the ears I naively believed the clarion call of the time to "Stop Communism!", "preserve Freedom", "serve your Nation proudly" and on and on. And lo fifty eight years later I'm swimming against the current in my homeland of what I fought to oppose in that far away land then???

Don't you ever feel less a man/person or inferior because you did not have the military experience! You are equal to us all.
Your post really moved me, Mr. Sumpin. I can feel the sincerity and passion behind it. It saddens me, though, that you seem so disillusioned about your service in Vietnam. The people who sent you there may have been a bunch of dirty rotten SOB's, and no doubt you witnessed the horrors and suffering of war right up close, but that doesn't mean you weren't doing something good. Communism is evil. It has to be fought, even if perfidious politicians throw the victory away.

The "benefits" of war can sometimes be measured only by things that didn't happen as a result, and so may be impossible to demonstrate. I believe, in spite of terrible things that DID happen, that many bad things DIDN"T happen because you fought in Vietnam. What would the world be like if you had just sat back and let communism spread? I'm sure it wouldn't be better. You did preserve freedom.

Just because there is still crap to deal with, doesn't mean your service was naive or pointless. The fight against evil is eternal. You, just like others before you and since, did your part, and paid the price. I am grateful, and I hope you'll forgive me if I seem presumptuous telling you how to feel about your experience. I mean only kindness.

My biggest regret is staying to long in a marriage 25 years should of called it quits long time ago young high school sweetheart but got two beautiful kids out of it . But if I never stay with her that long maybe I would of not met my love of my live my wife of 11 years I am truly bless and happy

My ex's biggest regret is staying with me for thirty six years, but it took her that long to get all the clothes and $$ she wanted for the rest of her life; that's been sixteen years ago and she's still as unhappy as she was before.

Filthy lucre
she got the pile
I got the smile..............
My wife of 44 years died back in 2020. This sums up why I'm not in a hurry to get married again:

1639684576625.png

Back