testtest

Reload manuals and cartridge info

I'm talking about the discriptive wording about each listed cartridge. Every manual I have has some kind of statement about its beginning. Does anyone skip this and go straight to the pictures (data)? I don't do much reading, because I usually get enough from helping the kids with homework. Other than @Talyn posting "Cartridge of the week" I don't know much or anything about cartridges I don't reload. All of the load manuals I have give some sort of info about it? Do you know about the cartridges you shoot and/or reload? I have bought a few guns based on some of the info written in the manuals.

I have a "Cartridges of the World" book, but still short on all (or ones that I know of) the cartridges.
These were just 9mm, .45 and .357 iirc. That was where my comment went for every bullet manufactured for those calibers. Every bullet sold at that time for reloading. Which honestly is major helpful when it comes to reloading as the recipe usually is not very interchangeable between brand manufacturers.
I wished I had a book like yours 👍

Ummm.....this is a little embarrassing, but I actually read my reloading manuals in my spare time for relaxation. Even been known to take a hot bath in the depths of winter and take my Nosler manuals with me. That's some serious entertainment right there. Learning how Jim Shockey felt the first time he saw an Alaskan Grizzly in the wild with his tiny little rifle and how he bought a 300 Weatherby after that day and never felt under-gunned again. Yeah, I read those stories and LOVE THEM.

Most main-stream manuals have a short-description of a cartridge before the reloading carts.

The "Cartridges of the World" book is a good generic referance describing alot of various cartridges, but the reloading info in there should be double-checked with better sources before diving into reloading a cartridge.

My .02

I tend to buy powder manufacturers’ load books.

Odds are, I can find a bullet close enough to the one I have to come up with a starting load.

And I do not trust websites. I just…don’t. I’ve found up to one and a half grain discrepancies between the latest printed manual and the website…and that’s enough to grenade your chamber, if you’re pushing the top end.

Odds are, I can find a bullet close enough to the one I have to come up with a starting load.

And I do not trust websites. I just…don’t. I’ve found up to one and a half grain discrepancies between the latest printed manual and the website…and that’s enough to grenade your chamber, if you’re pushing the top end.
Isn't it interesting to compare a BULLET manufacturer's load data to a POWDER manufacturer's load data? Sometimes they can be quite different. However, if I am using a Nosler bullet, I will almost always use the Nosler manual and use the exact specified powder. However, if I am loading a weird bullet that doesn't offer reload data, I'll start with the powder manual and begin at the lowest charge.

Isn't it interesting to compare a BULLET manufacturer's load data to a POWDER manufacturer's load data? Sometimes they can be quite different. However, if I am using a Nosler bullet, I will almost always use the Nosler manual and use the exact specified powder. However, if I am loading a weird bullet that doesn't offer reload data, I'll start with the powder manual and begin at the lowest charge.
With Quick load (I do not trust 100%, maybe 80%) I've put in data from various bullet and powder mfgrs and some are 10k over pressure. Yes I try and stay with bullet company data!

Most main-stream manuals have a short-description of a cartridge before the reloading carts.

The "Cartridges of the World" book is a good generic referance describing alot of various cartridges, but the reloading info in there should be double-checked with better sources before diving into reloading a cartridge.

My .02
CotW I just read, but I read for the cartridge history.

Thank you cico7. This is the kind of stuff that makes this forum so awesome. Never ending source of great information. I do have a number of these but always like to find more.
Most of you favorite bullet data is online now. Berger is VERY Very limited, but you can call them and they will email you load data. Several other companies have done this for me. That is IF they have tested that cartridge?

I like and use the reloading manuals from Nosler, Hornady and Sierra.

Bergers' hard copy loading manual is abit outdated, but they have has specific loading info for some cartridges on their website.

I like and use the reloading manuals from Nosler, Hornady and Sierra.

Bergers' hard copy loading manual is abit outdated, but they have has specific loading info for some cartridges on their website.
They are outdated for sure, especially with newer powder. They emailed me data for 300wm and some 26cals also. They told me they're going to publish vol2, but that was over a year ago. Being part of Nammo Group now I thought it would go faster?

I do read about the cartridges and peruse the various load data. I have multiple loading manuals which help provide a more complete picture of the options out there.
I printed off several pages from one of the old manuals from the links provided. Thank you so much. Now I have data for powder that is no longer made.

Back