testtest

Reloading 101: Do NOT Do These Things

I buy powder in 8 lb. kegs to keep the price reasonable.
I wouldn't rely on websites to notify you on primers. If you do get a notice, they are already out of them. You need to do a manual check frequently. I check MidwayUSA, Brownell's and Natchez. I'm sure there are others, but I am comfortable with these.
Magnum primers can be used. Winchester primers say on the box "for standard or magnum loads". If I loaded a maximum load that didn't specify a magnum primer, I would be more cautious with another brand. I wouldn't expect it to be a problem in a normal load, since I doubt it would exceed +P specs, but that is a guess off the top of my head. I know a lot of writers load heavy and write about +P or +P+ loads, I don't see the need and have no desire to batter my gun or hand.

I buy powder in 8 lb. kegs to keep the price reasonable.
I wouldn't rely on websites to notify you on primers. If you do get a notice, they are already out of them. You need to do a manual check frequently. I check MidwayUSA, Brownell's and Natchez. I'm sure there are others, but I am comfortable with these.
Magnum primers can be used. Winchester primers say on the box "for standard or magnum loads". If I loaded a maximum load that didn't specify a magnum primer, I would be more cautious with another brand. I wouldn't expect it to be a problem in a normal load, since I doubt it would exceed +P specs, but that is a guess off the top of my head. I know a lot of writers load heavy and write about +P or +P+ loads, I don't see the need and have no desire to batter my gun or hand.
Did not know that about Winchester Primers (Standard or Magnum Loads) I'll take a look for myself. I don't load my practice rounds past about mid range or a bit higher but never to do top end. Why bother? Thx for the info.

I’ve been on the hunt for shotshell loading supplies. Primarily for loading slugs. What little is out there is expensive. It’s almost not worth it.

One of my things I always do.
I use painters tape to write the powder and charge weight on my Dillon powder hopper. It's just too easy to forget after a few months what I was loading 6months ago. I also double check about every 10-15 the actual powder weight on my RCBS scale. I've not had my Dillon drift in powder charge, it's just a safe habit to get into. I've yet to throw any rifle rounds through it and that extruded powder may not be as accurate through the charge bar as all the handgun powder I've used.
Once again safe habits are critical to keep your firearms and fingers, eyes and other body parts from escaping.

Back