testtest

Reloading in a Gunfight: Basic Skills You Need

Thank You for the Video it is helpful and a great reminder. I run the same XD-M Elite and it is definitely amazing!! My question regarding this video is what brand of gloves is he using? It looks like there is a rubber material on the glove that matches up to all the major contact points where his hands touch the pistol.

Thank You for the Help!! James

Thank You for the Video it is helpful and a great reminder. I run the same XD-M Elite and it is definitely amazing!! My question regarding this video is what brand of gloves is he using? It looks like there is a rubber material on the glove that matches up to all the major contact points where his hands touch the pistol.

Thank You for the Help!! James
Glad you enjoyed the video James. Those are Patrol Incident Gear Delta Gloves.

@James77329 , regarding the PIG FDT Delta gloves, I'd like for you to consider what you want the gloves for, before you make that purchase.

I wrote a bit about the Delta (as well as other options) in this thread - https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/shooting-gloves.5687/ , but I'll again summarize here, starting with a confession of my sins: I have a glove fetish..... 😅

I literally have gloves for every occasion - despite the fact that I very rarely wear gloves, and when I do, I tend to wear the same pair. 🤪

My current overall favorites are the PIG FDT Delta -

https://skdtac.com/pig-full-dexterity-tactical-fdt-delta-utility-glove/ - and yes, SKD Tactical is having their year's end sale, now, so it's a great time to buy.

The Deltas are not weatherproof and are not insulated - so they're actually really great for hot-weather wear - but I find that for winters, unless they get wet, they offer just that little extra bit of heat-retention that's sufficient to prevent my hands from being uncomfortable (I tend to find that as long as my core is warm and I'm not overly nervous, my hands/fingers stay reasonably warm).

But all that is really rather highly subjective.

All that I can say is that they are cut for next-to-skin fitment (unless you have out-of-usual physical sizing considerations: my buddy, for example, has overall hand size that's typical for a man his size, but he has shorter fingers), and as-such, typically will not cause issues in terms of weapons manipulations. Because sizing is so important, SKD-Tactical offers detailed sizing charts as well as honor no-questions-asked returns for sizing, as long as you have preserved the packaging and tags on the gloves (you can try them on, on one hand and then the other, without removing the tags - and yes, I've returned their gloves before, and it's really just that easy, they don't give you any grief).

These are not the most durable shooting gloves (their Alphas are slightly more durable). You can see that this is a concern that's been addressed in other posts about these gloves, too: https://jerkingthetrigger.com/2016/11/29/review-pig-fdt-delta-utility-glove-from-skd-tactical/ - this is a November 2016 dated review by the guys at JTT, and my records say that I got my first pair back in February, 2017. They're not made to last indefinitely in the face of hard wear, and their price reflects this concern. The imprinted "PIG" traction enhancements come off pretty readily (don't worry, the gloves will still offer plenty of grip, without), especially if you keep the gloves on while attending to usual range-maintenance activities. But other than that, the stitching and materials are suitably durable per the price-point of the gloves.

[ Note: the current Deltas are on "Gen 2," and I have not tried these, yet. I've yet to even break in my second to last pair of the Deltas (I liked them so much that I bought a few pairs). It's possible that the revamped gave the traction elements a bit more durability. @Hunt Fish Shoot , how long have you used your pair? any comments on durability? ]

One item to-note, @James77329 is that the cuffs on the Deltas can feel excessively tight to some - my daughter, for-instance, really didn't like the Echos (female-fit version of the Deltas), but instead prefers the Charlies (female-fit version of the Alpha) much more, due to their somewhat adjustable cuff. I started her on the PIG FDTs when she started shooting, at the time taking their Extra-Small size...she's now a young woman who wears their Mediums. ;) In any case, if you don't like a tighter cuff, you may want to look at the Alpha.

The "FR" variants of each of these gloves will offer a bit more durability and a bit better warmth, at the exchange of the "bareback" feel of the standard variants. Personally, I prefer other makes', where it comes to a slightly thicker (and FR) glove. I've yet to try either of the "+" variants, which are supposed to be an intermediate between the two.

If you're looking for an insulated alternative for winter use, I've only had the PIG FDT Cold Weather Gloves for a single season, so I cannot comment on wear/durability, but they are quite warm (according to my daughter -who is probably the better, between the two of us, to rate this, as she's on her second winter of these). They are water-resistant, but are not waterproof. While snowfall will not cause soak-through, if there's heavy rain, your fingers will eventually feel they bite. In terms of fit, there is a bit of extra fabric at my fingertips, but it's far from unacceptable and, at least in my hands, do not interfere with either the trigger or other controls on my XDms. Liner wear is also possible, and also does not cause interference issues for me, at least at this early stage of wear.

Oh, the snot-wiper on the PIG Cold Weather Gloves - yeah....

1640665728067.png

It's really that good......

Here's my daughter with the Cold Weather Gloves - this was our last outing at the trash-infested public range, so please excuse the backdrop. And no, she didn't purposefully shoot the Lethal Weapon smiley face on our steel (so that you've got an idea of her size, that's a Tac Strike Quarter-Scale).

1640665832266.png

And this is an old one, I think she was 10 at the time? In her Echos -

1640665998526.png

Hope this helps your decision process! :) And if you get the "+" variants, please check back to let me know! :)

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled "Reloading in a Gunfight: Basic Skills You Need" and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/reloading-in-a-gunfight-basic-skills-you-need/.

As usual another great article and video shared by Mike. That being said I find that having that video shot with the guy wearing gloves did a disservice as it shows with the amount of comments focusing on what gloves he is wearing.
Yes I wear gloves sometimes at the range but when I practice in regards to a defensive situation I don’t concern myself with gloves because I don’t wear them 100% of the time. Don’t get me wrong everyone should practice every situation but if you practice with gloves don’t expect a bad guy to wait while you put them on. Practice both with and without and focus on situational awareness.

As usual another great article and video shared by Mike. That being said I find that having that video shot with the guy wearing gloves did a disservice as it shows with the amount of comments focusing on what gloves he is wearing.
Yes I wear gloves sometimes at the range but when I practice in regards to a defensive situation I don’t concern myself with gloves because I don’t wear them 100% of the time. Don’t get me wrong everyone should practice every situation but if you practice with gloves don’t expect a bad guy to wait while you put them on. Practice both with and without and focus on situational awareness.
I kinda look at it as a moot point since even the tightest fitting, most comfortable gloves are a hindurance compared to no gloves. I only wear gloves when shooting ARs. Because they get hot.

Gloves can help and they can hurt - the only reason why the video's author and I addressed *_the glove worn specifically in the video_* is because an interested viewer asked about it. No other context was given by @James77329 as to why he was interested in the gloves, and I think we are assuming too much by offering up our views of whether wearing it is "tactically" sound.

One of the items that I cited in my response to @James77329 was the thread that you'd OP'ed, @Keystone19250 - https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/shooting-gloves.5687/ , in which I did address the idea of vetting gear as well as the pitfalls that to real-world, dire-stress use (https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/shooting-gloves.5687/#post-113406 - in points #2 and #3).

I absolutely agree that it's an important potential pitfall to address, but at the same time, I think it exceeds the context of @James77329 's question. :)

Gloves can help and they can hurt - the only reason why the video's author and I addressed *_the glove worn specifically in the video_* is because an interested viewer asked about it. No other context was given by @James77329 as to why he was interested in the gloves, and I think we are assuming too much by offering up our views of whether wearing it is "tactically" sound.

One of the items that I cited in my response to @James77329 was the thread that you'd OP'ed, @Keystone19250 - https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/shooting-gloves.5687/ , in which I did address the idea of vetting gear as well as the pitfalls that to real-world, dire-stress use (https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/shooting-gloves.5687/#post-113406 - in points #2 and #3).

I absolutely agree that it's an important potential pitfall to address, but at the same time, I think it exceeds the context of @James77329 's simple question. :)
I didn’t address a certain poster because that’s a moot point. My comment was meant as it was addressed because readers or viewers of the video focused on what the video was not about.
Sometime back I started a thread asking about gloves for shooting and my questions were answered.

I didn’t address a certain poster because that’s a moot point. My comment was meant as it was addressed because readers or viewers of the video focused on what the video was not about.

^ Understood. (y)

My point was that not all of us take away the same things from what's presented, and that a targeted question can be addressed, nonetheless (after all, how many times have threads taken a tangent? :) ). The author of the video replied (I didn't believe it was my place to answer that question prior to his reply), and I simply expanded.

Sometime back I started a thread asking about gloves for shooting and my questions were answered.

^ That's the thread I cited (and linked) both in my original reply to @James77329 , as well as the one that I just posted in reply to you and @Bassbob above. ;)

^ Understood. (y)

My point was that not all of us take away the same things from what's presented, and that a targeted question can be addressed, nonetheless (after all, how many times have threads taken a tangent? :) ). The author of the video replied (I didn't believe it was my place to answer that question prior to his reply), and I simply expanded.

^ That's the thread I cited (and linked) both in my original reply to @James77329 , as well as the one that I just posted in reply to you and @Bassbob above. ;)
Agree to both your points b

Practicing reloads on the move is extremely important. Just as important is malfunction clearing while moving. In a recent training session, I learned this all too real as I was in the middle of a moving and shooting drill and started running into issue after issue. The first few times through the drill were horrible. The best time I ran it though, I had two tap rack bang clears in a row with dummy rounds, followed by an immediately empty mag and emergency reload (and maybe one more tap rack; there was so much going on). That was the most stressful moment of training that I've experienced in a long time. But the instructor had taken time to ingrain the need to keep moving, and so when it all started coming apart, I put moving on autopilot and forced myself to work through each issue. A video is never enough. I promise you will flub it up the first 20 times in practice. In real life, you will freeze up to your detriment if you haven't practices. Dry fire won't cut it on this skill. Make sure to take a buddy or instructor and have them set you up for success or trial by fire; up to them! And have fun!

What? Nothing on revolvers? The lesson is incomplete! :oops:

I retired snubs after Summer of Love 2020. I got a Hellcat 9mm. Liked it so much got another one. So got 28-30 rounds ready for CCW. No need for reloads. I don't always carry 2 Hellcats, but do if I want to. I still got a snub in the car for BU as well as a Glock with drum mag in the trunk pass through with laser sights. I don't practice much with reloads, so took the lazy man's way out. At this point in my life not into guns that much. Started when I was a kid 10 years old...add 57 years and guns are just a tool now.

meat and potatoes 1940.jpg

...Best wishes for 2022!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled "Reloading in a Gunfight: Basic Skills You Need" and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/reloading-in-a-gunfight-basic-skills-you-need/.

Two things;
1. From lockback use your off hand to manipulate the slide release. This will eliminate the chance of your strong thumb closing the slide before the magazine is seated and you ending up with an empty chamber and a full magazine.
2. Place the partially used magazine back into a magazine holder. Your video proves that it will fall out from behind your belt.

Two things;
1. From lockback use your off hand to manipulate the slide release. This will eliminate the chance of your strong thumb closing the slide before the magazine is seated and you ending up with an empty chamber and a full magazine.
I vividly recall Mas Ayoob quoting either Bill Wilson or J. Michael Plaxco as saying, "What th' hell ya think the Good Lord gave ya a left thumb FOR? ;):D

Just reviewed the video. I am a retired police officer and a certified firearms instructor (handgun, shotgun, police service rifle, subgun) in several states and instruct law enforcement recruits and conduct in-service firearms training for active officers. I also conduct firearm certifications for retired police officers under HR 218. While the presenter does, in fact, point out the need for speed in conducting magazine exchanges, I wholeheartedly disagree with how he is conducting the reloads. NEVER, NEVER take your eye off of the threat and NEVER, NEVER point your firearm up in the air during a mag exchange as was shown in the video. Bring your handgun straight back close to your body while keeping it pointed at the threat at all times and conduct your exchange. Magazines are closer to exchange and you can use your index finger to find the mag well if necessary. After exchange bring handgun back out towards the threat.

Back