testtest

Reloading Powder

USMC1911

Elite
Spoke to someone from Hogdon at the NRA convention and I was told it will almost be impossible to find this powder. They are producing something else for the government. He said I should change powder

Attachments

• A76FCF0E-3B24-420F-A7C1-DE69F52FEE4A.jpeg
    A76FCF0E-3B24-420F-A7C1-DE69F52FEE4A.jpeg
    851.8 KB · Views: 95
I haven't bought hodgdon universal in years, but I haven't checked availability either. I'm guessing you're buying/using it for 45acp to reload?

Several of Hodgdon powders are unobtanium...........retumbo, h1000 (last I've seen it for $65/# and still available), 4198 and very few other powders from them are a no show. Are you looking for an alternative for universal? I might have some, but not way too ship it. Unique is a good alternative, maybe Titegroup and not sure about International?

I started using winchester Auto comp last year . I've found I really like it . Similar to titegroup
I've been using more and more 'AutoComp' lately too. It meter well, burns relatively clean, and is as consistent as any other I've ever used. BTW, I hardly even consider price anymore as long as I can afford it. It's been my experience that if it's available, you need it, and can afford it, then buy it.

I've been using more and more 'AutoComp' lately too. It meter well, burns relatively clean, and is as consistent as any other I've ever used. BTW, I hardly even consider price anymore as long as I can afford it. It's been my experience that if it's available, you need it, and can afford it, then buy it.
I find it works better in semi's with a comp than others do with less function issues (fte, ftf). At 1st I thought it was for guns with comps, but it was for guns for comps by design.

Haven't used Universal in years. It's a pretty dirty burning powder like Unique.
I'm pretty happy with W231 in my 45 ACP and H110 in the 44 Mags

9mm works with Titegroup and Unique. If you're willing to buy others, see what also works in the calibers you use.
I like Clays, Bullseye and 231.

I have used Titegroup for thousands of rounds of .45 ACP, .38 SPL, .45 Colt and lighter loads in .357, .41 and .44 mags. My primary use is with cast/coated bullets in .45 ACP. I still have a 4 pound jug that has lasted for years. I have another that I have not had to open yet. "A little goes a long way."

I bought several pounds a few years back. Whenever I'd see it I'd pickup another pound or 4 here and there. It's very similar to Unique, but when loaded up near max charge burned much cleaner than the pre-update Unique formula.

Alliant has priced themselves off my list. Many times I can find Vihtavuori for the same or less than Alliant. VV N340 is excellent in .45 ACP. It also leaves your weapon and hands very clean. A while back I picked up several lbs of VV 3N37 and found it to be very good in a lot of applications too.

Though I've not tried it yet, Winchester 244 appears to be in direct competition in the Unique/Universal burn rate. It's priced very competitively. (In Today's Market)

There's a lot of very versatile powders available today. I load low/standard pressure .45 Colt for a SAA I have. Where Universal and Unique once ruled, I've found others that I've been trying. I don't care for any powders with a faster burn rate than the Universal area. I'm old school and like to actually see some powder in these cavernous old cartridges like .38 Special and .45 Colt. Winchester W572 has been much more versatile than I expected. I would like to see Hodgdon or some of the bullet manufacturers publish more data for it.

Back