testtest

Remembering a simpler time.

yotehtr

Custom
When I was in high school I spent my summers at my aunt and uncles house. No indoor plumbing, outhouse out back & had to fill a 5 gallon bucket for water in the house. Eva cooked on a wood burning cook stove in the kitchen and nobody was allowed to touch it. She cooked everything with it, including pies & cobblers. To this day nothing ever came close to cooking. They were the last few people to get electricity. I remember Uncle Pood saying the light was too bright. One electric light in the livingroom which was hardly ever turned on. Coal oil lamps were what they were used to. Eventually they found a small black and white TV. They had a couple shows they watched. I Love Lucy being one. Aunt Eva eventually got a job at a restaurant in town washing dishes, but Uncle Pood hadn't been to town for 30 years. Coffee, tobacco, sugar and flour was bought by Eva in town. Everything else was planted and raised on their land. Raised hogs and cattle for meat, which was butchered right there. Planted corn to feed the animals, which was picked and chucked by hand. Those were long days, worked daylight till dark. In the summer time we made ice cream, taking turns cranking. Strawberry was the best, big Strawberry patch extra berries were sold. Blackberries, raspberries, goose berries ect They all grew naturally in the wild. Garden vegetables were all canned for the winter, root cellar for potatoes, turnips ect. Music was a big part of who we were. Everone played. Weekends were spent playing music all day. Friends and neighbors joined in to play & sing. Women would bring food and everyone shared what they had. Softball was played by all the kids in the area. Teams were picked and the score was carried over day after day. Disagreements were settled in a fist fight, even between girls. When it was over, you shook hands and they were friends again. What happened, how in the Hell did this Country change to what we have now?

Civility is on the critical list, it has been for decades, and is worsening still. Many have become lovers and worshipers of self. God and His sacred word, even the most basic tenets of upstanding Christian behavior, have been relegated. My most sincere apology if I've offended anyone.

Civility is on the critical list, it has been for decades, and is worsening still. Many have become lovers and worshipers of self. God and His sacred word, even the most basic tenets of upstanding Christian behavior, have been relegated. My most sincere apology if I've offended anyone.
Not sure those things are mutually exclusive Mr. W. but I completely agree with your sentiment.

I have always said I am half the man my dad was, he always said the same about his dad. There is a general watering down of caring for our fellow man, belief in God, honesty, honor, work ethic, and other things, in general the things that made us great.

Last edited:
I grew up in a totally ethnic neighborhood, we had Polish, hispanic ,black and Italian neighbors.
We all knew our neighbors they were friends, we never had to lock our doors and worried about our safety.
In the late 60's for whatever reason the government built low income housing"AKA" the projects and the neighborhood turned into the term white flight.
Since then this country has never been the same, it's all gimme, gimme, gimme, nothing will ever change until voters are fed up with freeloaders.

I grew up in a totally ethnic neighborhood, we had Polish, hispanic ,black and Italian neighbors.
We all knew our neighbors they were friends, we never had to lock our doors and worried about our safety.
In the late 60's for whatever reason the government built low income housing"AKA" the projects and the neighborhood turned into the term white flight.
Since then this country has never been the same, it's all gimme, gimme, gimme, nothing will ever change until voters are fed up with freeloaders.
Problem is freeloaders are a much larger voter block than we are.

Yea I love the old simply times miss that . I live in California crazy ass state but I love it here gun laws suck but I do love it here . We are lucky we live in a court everybody has each other’s keys to the house . We travel and next door watches our dog we have a great group of people on this court we all watch out for each other you don’t get that to much now a days

The simpler times I remember very well like handing the ration stamp to the man at the gas station as he washed the windows and ask if we would like the oil checked. At the grocery store stamp for coffee and sugar among other things and how about putting up blackout shades at night which we made a game of. I had a dad who was a mean drunk and at 17 I went into the military and in the 60s as I traveled by thumb across the country with only a short occasional ride and at night time with no traffic I would make a place to sleep back out of sight there is where my bedroll would be placed. Thats just a little of my early days and according to all the brain pickers I should have been a criminal from the the get go but my visits with my great grandpa taught me many things and I remember times when he said there will be many things in your life that you won't like but remember do the right thing. He was so right and I'm glad I still hear his words because the word respect seems to have been removed from use. Each day I am less mobile and get moved aside because I walk to slow or my cane/crutches is in someone's way and because the way of the world I am glad that my road ahead is shorter than the one B4 me. We stand a good chance of being told to move because our rent keeps jumping further up the grade and our meds even with our insurance that we pay for keeps rising just like everything else except savings that slides down the big mountain. Our family helps but the face challanges same as us but it family. After military I served in law enforcement along with other jobs and I hand on to now serve my wife who needs my assistance at time. I leave you with this " tomorrow is never given and my wife and I know that to be true as I have passed over 3 times but doctors say it was more and my wife has come close more than once. Hug your family everyday and let them know because the storm is building. I'm sad because my great grandpa died but I will see him and the rest of those friends and family that have been called home. Each day I move a little slower but my memories continue on because I am a simple man.

Back