testtest

Review: 9mm Emissary 1911 — Almost Like Cheating

I currently have two of the 5" 1911 Emissary models in .45. I sent one back to the Custom Shop for their Action Trigger Job, and am enjoying the other as is. I find them well made with all of the options I feel is needed in a carry gun. Based on the performance of these two, I plan on purchasing the other models (.45 Commander and 5" 9mm) soon. I've dealt with SA Custom Shop a few times over the years and they have never disappoint me. The work has been top notch and priced very competitively. Manny.

Received my Emissary 9mm cleaned and lubed it and took it to the range in great anticipation only to find the gun would not run. From a locked slide fresh mag jammed the bullet into the feed ramp. when I was able to launch one it would jam with a partial insertion into the chamber lots of brass showing or nearly load with some brass showing and
very hard to work the slide to extract the round. Not able to tap into battery. Working the slide slowly back and forth over an empty gun I can feel the interference, it can hang up on the disconnector when easing it forward.
Returned to SA and I'm sure they'll get it running right. Really wanted a 4.25" in 9mm.

Received my Emissary 9mm cleaned and lubed it and took it to the range in great anticipation only to find the gun would not run. From a locked slide fresh mag jammed the bullet into the feed ramp. when I was able to launch one it would jam with a partial insertion into the chamber lots of brass showing or nearly load with some brass showing and
very hard to work the slide to extract the round. Not able to tap into battery. Working the slide slowly back and forth over an empty gun I can feel the interference, it can hang up on the disconnector when easing it forward.
Returned to SA and I'm sure they'll get it running right. Really wanted a 4.25" in 9mm.
My RO Operator in 9mm had some resistance, I found out the factory spring was rated at 9 pounds, to light, I replaced it with a 12 pound spring like my Kimber 9mm 1911 had and my issue was gone.

Heard from SA today. Repair complete including the ambi safety I had them install.
REPAIR 1911 PISTOL 1 $0.00 $0.00
INSPECTED PISTOL 0 $0.00 $0.00
RECUT & POLISHED BARREL RAMP 0 $0.00 $0.00
REAMED CHAMBER 0 $0.00 $0.00
TUNED EXTRACTOR 0 $0.00 $0.00
ADJUSTED SEAR SPRING 0 $0.00 $0.00
SAFETY CHECKED & TESTED 0 $0.00 $0.00

I'll report back after I test it

Heard from SA today. Repair complete including the ambi safety I had them install.
REPAIR 1911 PISTOL 1 $0.00 $0.00
INSPECTED PISTOL 0 $0.00 $0.00
RECUT & POLISHED BARREL RAMP 0 $0.00 $0.00
REAMED CHAMBER 0 $0.00 $0.00
TUNED EXTRACTOR 0 $0.00 $0.00
ADJUSTED SEAR SPRING 0 $0.00 $0.00
SAFETY CHECKED & TESTED 0 $0.00 $0.00

I'll report back after I test it
…so far, so good :)

The title should read "... - almost like getting cheated out of $500+" I've shot a 9mm SA Emissary and they are NOT worth the price. Some extra/different mill work done on the front grip metal and on the slide does NOT give a manufacture free license to rip off customers. It amazes me how S/A stays in business with some of the decisions they've made. The 9mm Loaded Range Officer was a top quality gun that was selling for $725 blued and $850 Stainless until S/A decided to DISCONTINUE their production. I had three different gun shops trying to find one for me in stainless for my father's birthday. A year later, one was located by a dealership outside of St. Louis who had a private owner willing to sell a well used, blued, version for over $1000. I guess anything associated with Springfield Armory just brings out the extortionist in everyone. The "new" Browning High Power knock off that S/A is the same laughable issue. It's a design over 100 years old, that has been manufactured all over the world just as well if not better than S/A is doing and at half the price. For the money, the value, the aesthetics, the quality of the guns I would consider buying, places like Turkey, the Cjech Republic, and The Philippines are becoming much more deserving of my business.

The title should read "... - almost like getting cheated out of $500+" I've shot a 9mm SA Emissary and they are NOT worth the price. Some extra/different mill work done on the front grip metal and on the slide does NOT give a manufacture free license to rip off customers. It amazes me how S/A stays in business with some of the decisions they've made. The 9mm Loaded Range Officer was a top quality gun that was selling for $725 blued and $850 Stainless until S/A decided to DISCONTINUE their production. I had three different gun shops trying to find one for me in stainless for my father's birthday. A year later, one was located by a dealership outside of St. Louis who had a private owner willing to sell a well used, blued, version for over $1000. I guess anything associated with Springfield Armory just brings out the extortionist in everyone. The "new" Browning High Power knock off that S/A is the same laughable issue. It's a design over 100 years old, that has been manufactured all over the world just as well if not better than S/A is doing and at half the price. For the money, the value, the aesthetics, the quality of the guns I would consider buying, places like Turkey, the Cjech Republic, and The Philippines are becoming much more deserving of my business.
Not sure where you found an Emissary for $500 but that may have been your issue. Considering the Emissary has a $1300.00 MSRP I don't think this was the same pistol your talking about.

Supply and demand drives prices of all products in a free market and it's not Springfield raising the prices of their firearms above MSRP. The final prices are set by the dealers & private sellers, as most other items are in a free market.

Not sure where you found an Emissary for $500 but that may have been your issue. Considering the Emissary has a $1300.00 MSRP I don't think this was the same pistol your talking about.

Supply and demand drives prices of all products in a free market and it's not Springfield raising the prices of their firearms above MSRP. The final prices are set by the dealers & private sellers, as most other items are in a free market.
I think he was meaning the E was overpriced by about $500+; as in its more like an $800 value….
That price also turned me off, but most reviews I’ve read indicate it’s a fine pistol (in .45, at least).

I don’t quite understand the rant about “rip off” though - nobody’s holding a gun to your head to make you buy it.
(bwahaha :) ! )

places like Turkey, the Cjech Republic, and The Philippines
It costs a lot more money to manufacture a 1911 here in the US than it does in those places. Last I checked, Springfield 1911s were 100% manufactured here. I just paid $1217 for a new stainless Loaded, and I'd do it again. The gun is worth it. Would I pay that for an RIA or a Tisas? Not a chance in hell.

My mistake was watching Rob Leatham shoot the Emissary-I ran out in gun lust and bought one and
after my disappointment in it's original performance still in gun lust I bought a Kimber Night Patrol for
little more than half the cost and it runs flawlessly. Still I'm waiting with great anticipation for my
Emissary to return home. At my age I realize I'm not going to live forever, I have a little discretionary $$
and I'd rather shoot 1911 than polymer 1911 f
o
r

e
v
e
r

Back