testtest

Review: XD-M 9mm 35-Round Extended Magazine

Grip length is a moot factor.

The removeable magwell on the Elites is a moot factor.

I thought it was the grip-length/magwell that prevented the 19-round magazine from being used with the Elite?

Does will the 19-round lock in place and function with the Elite, even with magwell in-place, if the shooter took the extra step of pushing up into it?

I thought it was the grip-length/magwell that prevented the 19-round magazine from being used with the Elite?

Does will the 19-round lock in place and function with the Elite, even with magwell in-place, if the shooter took the extra step of pushing up into it?
I thought we were talking about this 35-round mag.

1639603693203.png

Otherwise, I think a 19 will go into an Elite even if the magwell is on it, but your hand will bump into the removeable magwell either inserting or removing.

The frame of the Elite and prior XDm 9mm "full-sized" (aka 5.25 Competition) are the same except for the ambi safety release on the Elite's.

Of course you couldn't make a shorter mag work in a longer handgrip/frame.

BTW - I've never had a problem inserting a mag into my 5.25 that doesn't have the removeable mag well.

The frames are the same between the new & older models so I would say yes.

Besides the removeable mag well is a novelty anyhow.

I thought we were talking about this 35-round mag.
^ I am/we are - but I was looking specifically for info. on whether or not it included an over-insertion stop.

Similarly, I understand that the legacy XDm and the Elite are the same in terms of the frame itself, and that the magwell on the Elite can be removed.

Since the frame serves as the over-insertion stop for these guns, my question was not only if an over-insertion stop was included, but what -if any- measures may be necessary to accommodate the differences caused by the Elite - specifically.....
Otherwise, I think a 19 will go into an Elite even if the magwell is on it, but your hand will bump into the removeable magwell either inserting or removing.

^ This was partially what I wasn't sure of.... It's my understanding that the 19-round legacy Xdm magazines will not positively lock into the Elite, when the OE magwell is affixed to the latter:

Since the extendo's review noted that it was compatible with both the legacy as well as the Elite, my thinking was that in order to do so, if it did provide an over-insertion stop, how it was able to accomplish both?

I've seen the Elite mags inserted into the legacy XDms, without the magwell, as in this thread on XD Talk - https://www.xdtalk.com/threads/will-it-fit-xdm-elite-magazines-on-xdm-compact.449431/#post-7871995 . Of-course, on the truncated frame Compacts, there's the over-insertion concern without an X-Tension in-place, but it wasn't clear if on the full-size frame, the relieved areas on the Elite magazine would still offer sufficient support as an over-insertion stop as the 19-rounder's base-plate.

^ Looking back at that, I think that if the base-plate configuration on the Elite's 22-rounder is capable of providing proper function as an over-insertion stop on the legacy (i.e. without magwell) full-size Xdm, then it definitely would be possible for one that's present on the extendo, and designed for the Elite, to also work the same on the legacy (w/o magwell).

I guess I just have never seen anyone post-up regarding over-insertion protection with the Elite's baseplate in the legacy (w/o) setup.......

Anyone with an Elite wanna take some pix with the frame, with a mag with at least one round in it, with the mag pushed up as far as it can go - with and without the OE magwell?

Or am I gonna have to buy a 22-rounder Elite mag and prove this for myself? :p

^ I am/we are - but I was looking specifically for info. on whether or not it included an over-insertion stop.

Similarly, I understand that the legacy XDm and the Elite are the same in terms of the frame itself, and that the magwell on the Elite can be removed.

Since the frame serves as the over-insertion stop for these guns, my question was not only if an over-insertion stop was included, but what -if any- measures may be necessary to accommodate the differences caused by the Elite - specifically.....

^ This was partially what I wasn't sure of.... It's my understanding that the 19-round legacy Xdm magazines will not positively lock into the Elite, when the OE magwell is affixed to the latter:

Since the extendo's review noted that it was compatible with both the legacy as well as the Elite, my thinking was that in order to do so, if it did provide an over-insertion stop, how it was able to accomplish both?

I've seen the Elite mags inserted into the legacy XDms, without the magwell, as in this thread on XD Talk - https://www.xdtalk.com/threads/will-it-fit-xdm-elite-magazines-on-xdm-compact.449431/#post-7871995 . Of-course, on the truncated frame Compacts, there's the over-insertion concern without an X-Tension in-place, but it wasn't clear if on the full-size frame, the relieved areas on the Elite magazine would still offer sufficient support as an over-insertion stop as the 19-rounder's base-plate.
It's the base-pad shape on the 19's that are an issue with the removeable mag well. The Elite mags have a narrower part of their basepad.

That the novelty magwell off and they all work.

^ Understood, but looking at my last reply (looks like the system registered it just before your follow-up), do you kinda get where I'm going? :)

IMO over-insertion is not an issue, there's a built-in mag stop, and that's the mag release wil click into the cutout in the mag body, & that's it.

If one's properly trained/used to reloading mags into the firearms there will not be any problem. Dimensions aren't that loose to require a added on feature.

Magpul put an over-insertion feature into their mags & it caused issues with different AR lowers.

My .02

IMO over-insertion is not an issue, there's a built-in mag stop, and that's the mag release wil click into the cutout in the mag body, & that's it.

If one's properly trained/used to reloading mags into the firearms there will not be any problem. Dimensions aren't that loose to require a added on feature.

Magpul put an over-insertion feature into their mags & it caused issues with different AR lowers.

My .02

I respectfully disagree - the magazine stop, or lack thereof with the exception of the frame of the gun, is a critical issue with the double-stack XD/XDm handguns.

There have been several reports of ejector damage - some resulting in malfunctions which could not be resolved until the component had been replaced, others that are like @xdman 's experience with his Beretta, where the gun continued to function, but would "do weird things" - due to over-insertion on the XD Talk Forum alone.

With the XD-platform guns, you can witness this for yourself by stripping off the slide and inserting an appropriate-for-frame-length magazine into the gun, with a snap-cap or dummy cartridge in the magazine stack. The top case *will* contact the ejector and move it. If you have a truncated-frame gun, a Compact or Sub-Compact, try it with a full-capacity magazine, without and without the factory X-Tensions (and this will also illustrate why using the X-Tensions is so important). And it's not the magazine catch - depressing it or not has no bearing on how far you will see the magazine displace "up" into the ejector, it's the frame's interaction with the base-plate/X-Tension that stops the upward travel.

While the Gen M3 PMag over-insertion stop caused problems with select lowers, I really feel that over-insertion in an AR15 is a different beast versus over-insertion on a pistol. Driving this perception is that even though I have only been active in shooting sports for 10 years, I've seen first-hand many instances of well-trained shooters who managed to incur ejector damage on various handguns where an over-insertion stop was not a feature (in one class alone, I witnessed two instances). This, versus the fact that I can count the instances where I witnessed over-insertion on AR15s in that same span of time...and still have three fingers to spare.

Last edited:

Think can see some of what you're saying TSi about XDm and Elites mag's differences. Can be confusing. Some of it?
Smaller round mags don't usually work in HG's that were equipped with larger round mags because of overall length being different. Like CA 10 round issued HG's may be different than rest of countries larger capacity? Mag's likely won't fit because of them being shorter?

With extended magwells, they can also change mag seating on many HG's even with 1911's for example. Usually have little to no issues on longer mags seating in conventionally standard HG's, but when talking about extended magwells and mags, sometimes it happens depending on design of either.

On conventional HG's w/o extended magwell, the longer mags usually fit with no issues. But, some HG's with extended magwells may require slight modification by taking a small amount out or off magwell even for extended mags because of outward facing dimpling on some extended mag hitting the extended magwell a bit off kilter on the sides and is sometimes usually just a fraction of an inch, but it can be there stopping mag from seating completely, even with supposed standard sized mags baseplate/bump stop.

SA's Hellcat addressed/approached the possible issue a bit differently with extended mags with mag sleeves instead of the raised dimpling. But, that was with only a few round difference. - That likely means they're aware of a need? A possible 22 round to 35 round XDm mag is likely very different because of length/cost issue? A magsleeve is likely doable, but doesn't appear there was a sleeve on on SA's new XDm extended mag, that led me to believe new ones were a dimpled stop. But, time will tell how they addressed the possible issue? They're a very attentive and innovative lot, so who knows until one's tried?

I can understand a Beretta choaking but please post links to this happening to a XD/XDm. I've never experienced it.

Last edited:
I can understand a Beretta choaking but please post links to this happening to a XD/XDm. I've never experienced it.

^ I'll do you one better. ;)

Because I've been vocal about the possibility of ejector damage from over-insertion, many who don't know me well think that this is something that I just like to get on a soap-box about. The truth is far, far from that, as it wasn't until I was close to two years into the sport that the specter of this type of damage to the XDms was first brought to my attention ----->

^ See the progression of my posts in that thread? Yeah, I had some doubt going in. Similarly, it wasn't then until close to a year later, after I'd seen how frequently over-insertion affected all types of guns in the hands of so many other shooters that I started to myself pay more attention to this issue with the XDm, and started to warn others about the possibility.

You're welcome to search further on XD Talk and other Forums, but I promise you, you *will* see more confirmation from other shooters (along with numerous "Why is my ejector gouged here?" posts, where pictures of damaged ejectors will, I promise you, show damage at precisely the area where, if you stripped your Compact/Sub-Compact to the frame and inserted a full-size magazine with a brass case at the top, you'll see the case hit *precisely* at where the pictured gouges are). And of-course it doesn't *just* happen to XDms - It happens to many guns that don't have integral magazine overtravel stops: good, quality, well-built guns. As a matter of fact, at the class I alluded to, the two guns that had ejector issues due to overinsertion were a SA 9mm Loaded and an H&K 45c (https://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=63956 - the "Steve" with the H&K, who sadly passed away, could have bent rebar by just looking at them crosseyed, so when he says he slammed them in there, well, yeah, that's his fault :ROFLMAO: , but it highlights the technical issue at-hand, as does Quack's additional details later in that thread).

I'm not posting what I post to belittle the XDm.

I'm sure you've seen the threads where I've posted pictures of myself with either of my two range-beaters -a 3.8 Compact or a 4.5-inch (an NRA-crest generation gun)- in any of a number of training classes. I've accrued a decent amount of mileage in these guns over the last 11 years, and I've invested quite a bit of time and expense into both making sure that they'll be durable/reliable (https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/strayers-40k-blue-flame.204/#post-5192) as well as insuring that I have the necessary support gear to keep them in the game, for, I hope, the remainder of my life (like my boxes of magazines - https://www.xdtalk.com/threads/bass...ncho-magnum-range-8-6-21.452549/#post-7981700 - did you catch how many magazines I have, for this gun? ;) ). I've attended classes where folks have poked gentle fun at me for what's holstered at my waist, only to come find me at the end that same class, to confess that they have "never seen such a high-mileage XDm before, and that works and shoots so well, to-boot." :).

I've invested a lot of time to learn about the platform - and I think this may have been lost on some in this Forum, as I haven't participated here for nearly as long as I have at, say, XD Talk. As an example, I spent 36 hours to pore through the Brian Enos Forums archives to document potential long-term/high-mileage issues with the XDm ( https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?179626-Springfield-xdm-9mm-mags&p=2259030#post2259030 - yes, I posted on M4Carbine.net about the XDm - don't I deserve an award for that, in and of itself? 😁 ) because I wanted to be sure that these guns really can go the distance.

Am I vested in the platform?

It's hard to deny that I am, given some of what I posted above. But at the same time, I don't feel as though it is because of some kind of pride-of-ownership or similar bias. I believe that I have come to where I am with this platform -and in the XDm community online- because I've taken a fair and unflinching look at not only what these guns do well, but also where they are weak or carry shortcomings. I know you wrote what you did above, about the Beretta, in-jest, but I truly am not the type to either slam something that I do not own simply because I do not own it - nor will I place what I do own on a pedestal, simply because I have money in it. :)

My EDC for the last 11 years has been a 3.8 Compact (https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/xdm-3-8-compact.105/#post-2758 - only 3 of my four XDms are in that picture: there's also a carbon-copy of that high-mileage 4.5-inch training gun that serves as my HD handgun), but because of state laws and workplace restrictions, I don't always have it on me. In the lockbox in the car, though (thanks to safe-storage laws), is a G32, and there's not only a standard capacity spare with it - I also have two 22-round happy sticks in-vehicle [ because of incidents such as - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Stuntz_gang_assault ]. I would love for nothing more than to get a couple of these new XDm happy-sticks, to supplement in the same way.

So I hope that with this reply, you -and anyone else who may be wondering about any potential agenda that I may have (sorry, been watching waaaaay too much Succession on HBOmax 😅 )- can see that I am simply seeking more information about the product reviewed in the OP: a specific concern that I have, one which addresses an objective factor.

Last edited:
I have a slightly different thought on this magazine, Springfield Armory has filled the gap in AR's and M1a's but one of the newish trends are pistol caliber carbines. What better way to make a PCC that the magazine ALSO fits their flagship pistol the XDM elite? The magazine gets some beta testing on pistols, and near future a new PCC that coincidently uses the same 35 and 22 round magazines.

I have a slightly different thought on this magazine, Springfield Armory has filled the gap in AR's and M1a's but one of the newish trends are pistol caliber carbines. What better way to make a PCC that the magazine ALSO fits their flagship pistol the XDM elite? The magazine gets some beta testing on pistols, and near future a new PCC that coincidently uses the same 35 and 22 round magazines.
CAA MCK Springfieild Armory XD/XDm/XDm Elite chassis

1639696103880.png

Very nice Talyn, Pretty wild. And, like that conversion kit. Could go very well with the new SA 35 round mags too!
In link sites description it doesn't appear to be for the SA 9mm XDm 5.25" or some others.

Looks to be some possible compatibility issues to be aware of:

*Not compatible with a threaded barrel

*Not compatible with suppressor height sights

*Not compatible with barrel lengths under 3.8” or over 5”

*Does not work with single stack XDS handguns

Back