testtest

"Right-handed privilege"

Jimbo

Elite
I love my Ruger EC9S; but it's not for a left-handed person, because the thumb safety is on the left side. For a time I tried carrying it in my left pocket. This worked pretty well for me, except that I had a hard time turning the safety off when I drew the gun with my left hand. I soon decided that I didn't want to be fumbling with the safety if I had to draw the gun for real, so I started carrying it in my right pocket. I then realized that my right hand is the best hand for the gun to be in if I ever have to shoot it for real (I am right-handed), so I am satisfied with this arrangement.

I thought of the above when I read the following article about UNC-Chapel Hill giving a lecture about "right-handed privilege":

If anyone should be complaining about right-handed privilege, it should be Ruger's left-handed customers!

In all seriousness, I do wish Ruger would put a thumb safety on both sides, particularly for the gun they are currently pushing, the Max 9.

As a natural lefty I carry a revolver in my left hip pocket, it's sometimes primary sometimes a backup. The Taurus M380 is so sweet for this role. A revolver because no external controls to hunt for, which is a bonus because I am still most comfortable shooting with my right hand as my dad drilled me in.

I am getting much better with my left though.

I am also a natural lefty. The only thing I ever did right-handed was play golf. And that was only because left-handed clubs were as rare as a package of smoked chicken lips back when I played.

When I write in spiral notebooks, I begin on what right-handed folks would refer to as the back of the last page and then work my way to the front of the notebook only writing on the back side of each page. It's pretty humorous watching others trying to read my notes. Filling out forms on a clipboard is near impossible. I take the forms off and turn the clipboard upside down so the clip doesn't get in my way.

Scissors are a whole different thing. But I solved that by purchasing a left-handed pair.

Guns, well, that's something else. I am so used to irreversible mag releases that I have a hard time when it's swapped over for left-handed operation. Same goes for the thumb safety. However, it is nice that many guns have ambi safeties these days.

The one thing in the article mentioned that is spot on is that there are way more important things going on in the world than lefties being shortchanged when it comes to conveniences.

Cheers

Bob

I love my Ruger EC9S; but it's not for a left-handed person, because the thumb safety is on the left side. For a time I tried carrying it in my left pocket. This worked pretty well for me, except that I had a hard time turning the safety off when I drew the gun with my left hand. I soon decided that I didn't want to be fumbling with the safety if I had to draw the gun for real, so I started carrying it in my right pocket. I then realized that my right hand is the best hand for the gun to be in if I ever have to shoot it for real (I am right-handed), so I am satisfied with this arrangement.

I thought of the above when I read the following article about UNC-Chapel Hill giving a lecture about "right-handed privilege":

If anyone should be complaining about right-handed privilege, it should be Ruger's left-handed customers!

In all seriousness, I do wish Ruger would put a thumb safety on both sides, particularly for the gun they are currently pushing, the Max 9.

If anyone should be complaining it's all the guitarists of my age or older who had to take right handed guitars and learn to play them upside down or restring them backwards in order to play them. There are many. Jimi Hendrix, Paul McCartney, Elliot Easton, Ira Siegel. And countless people no one ever heard of.
Until fairly recently left handed guitars weren't really available. This is why almost every left handed guitar player can play a right handed guitar, either upside down or with the opposite hand, but almost no righties can play a lefty guitar.

Hey! I forgot about that! I play right-handed.

My 2004 50th Anniversary Strat...

IMG_2819.jpg

The problem with right handed safeties on pistols is much more easily solvable. Buy pistols which have no safety.

Besides, as a guitarist and a shooter I promise you it is infinitely easier to learn to shoot with the opposite hand than it is to play guitar with the opposite hand.

The problem with right handed safeties on pistols is much more easily solvable. Buy pistols which have no safety.

Besides, as a guitarist and a shooter I promise you it is infinitely easier to learn to shoot with the opposite hand than it is to play guitar with the opposite hand.
Agreed 100%. I can shoot pretty well with my left hand, but there's no way I can play a left-handed guitar - I have tried!

If anyone should be complaining it's all the guitarists of my age or older who had to take right handed guitars and learn to play them upside down or restring them backwards in order to play them. There are many. Jimi Hendrix, Paul McCartney, Elliot Easton, Ira Siegel. And countless people no one ever heard of.
Until fairly recently left handed guitars weren't really available. This is why almost every left handed guitar player can play a right handed guitar, either upside down or with the opposite hand, but almost no righties can play a lefty guitar.
If you visit just about any church in the United States, there will be a guitar or two on the platform, owned by the church, which someone can play who doesn't have a guitar with them. To my knowledge, I have NEVER ever seen a left-handed guitar in any church I have visited, except for those which were owned by left handers who were playing them. I thought about donating a left handed guitar to my church just so they would have one, in case a left hander ever wanted to play the guitar there.

Liner lock knives are another thing that can be problematic, even dangerous for a left hander. A normal saber grip can press the pads of the fingers against the liner in an unlocking direction as it is squeezed.

This can, and has caused the blade to release and can close on the fingers. First found out about this on a Benchmade AFCK that closed on my hand and cut a finger.

No, does not always happen, but it can. It's one reason Micheal Walker, the inventor of the Walker lock, liner, and Lake, sorry do not know his first name. Invented the LAWKS safety you can find on CRTK knives.

I am also a natural lefty. The only thing I ever did right-handed was play golf. And that was only because left-handed clubs were as rare as a package of smoked chicken lips back when I played.

When I write in spiral notebooks, I begin on what right-handed folks would refer to as the back of the last page and then work my way to the front of the notebook only writing on the back side of each page. It's pretty humorous watching others trying to read my notes. Filling out forms on a clipboard is near impossible. I take the forms off and turn the clipboard upside down so the clip doesn't get in my way.

Scissors are a whole different thing. But I solved that by purchasing a left-handed pair.

Guns, well, that's something else. I am so used to irreversible mag releases that I have a hard time when it's swapped over for left-handed operation. Same goes for the thumb safety. However, it is nice that many guns have ambi safeties these days.

The one thing in the article mentioned that is spot on is that there are way more important things going on in the world than lefties being shortchanged when it comes to conveniences.

Cheers

Bob
And here I thought I was the only lefty that did all those work arounds lol. Except the golf clubs. A lefty friend converted to right and sold me his cheap. Use the old "I'd help but you don't have a lefthanded rake, shovel, hammer, whatever fits the task". Sometimes I even get away with it.

And here I thought I was the only lefty that did all those work arounds lol. Except the golf clubs. A lefty friend converted to right and sold me his cheap. Use the old "I'd help but you don't have a lefthanded rake, shovel, hammer, whatever fits the task". Sometimes I even get away with it.

The left handed metric flat bladed screwdriver is a favorite, same with hammers or adjustable wrenches. Who knows left handed metric shovels could be next and likely are already? :)

I was born a lefty as was my sister. I broke that arm at the age of 5. It didn't set right, had to be re-broken twice, and was in a cast for almost 2 years. I learned to do everything right handed as a result. Now, the only thing I can do left handed half decently is shoot my pistols, only because I incorporated it into my training, and bat from either side of the plate with better power right handed. BTW, both my parents were right handed although my Dad shot rifles left handed and pistols right handed. He was a marksmanship rifle trainer in the Army before he shipped out for WW2. Mom was an Army MEDEVAC and MASH WW2 nurse but was only briefly introduced to the 1911 .45 before shipping out and never shot after that. There were some leftys a generation before them in both families. My sister just started shooting pistols, left handed. Crazy genealogy I guess.

I make my right handed privilege payment every April 15

Back