testtest

Rival 4x4 Bumper & Warn Winch - XDMAN JEEP BUILD

xdman

Self appointed Chief Armorer
Staff member
So on this installment of the Just Empty Every Pocket J.e.e.p build:
I ordered a Rival 4x4 stamped steel modular bumper that was just released back in Jan at the 23 Sema show. I preordered for delivery the end of January and liked the fact that it was so new it would be something not everyone had. During shipment UPS decided to tear open my box and loose one of the hardware packs of nuts and screws. I will say every interaction with Rival’s customer service has been top notch.
Rival 4x4 modular bumper

Along with the bumper I needed to add a winch. On both my Tundra and RZR Pro I have Warn winches And they have served me well. I will say synthetic lines are the bomb. So I know it is hard to believe but right now there is a Warn winch shortage. But I was able to get one from 4wheelparts.com free shipping and no tax since they closed the local stores in Alabama. It was shipped from California and I know the UPS driver hated me that day box was 75 pounds plus. I went with the Warn Zeon 10s, this thing is massive, and takes up quite a bit of real estate in the front of the Gladiator. Now the bad news booo they way Warn packed this winch the neutral wire was sitting underneath the feet mounts of the winch. The winch cut and frayed part of the wire damaging it. So the bumper was installed, upgraded to factory led fog lights to go with the headlights. But the winch will have to wait until next week. Then to top it all off I added my Angry duck hood ornament same as I had on my Tundra. Although now the duck goes right in line with the whole duck Jeep culture thing.

Install of the bumper was not that bad, and if you ever do custom work on vehicles there is always something that ends up being an issue. I test fitted the bumper shell at every step. But after adding the winch plate with the provided shims it was not enough. As I tightened the winch plate it pulled the mounting points in a couple mm’s. And the shell holes would not line up. After sleeping on it, my solution was to ditch the factory ships for stainless washers. So now one washer would sit In between the mounting plate and frame. Problem solved and not allowing anything to flex no matter how much I torqued the mounting bolts. Now that I know what to look for and the better order of installation I could probably get one of these bumpers installed in about an hour. I would save time for sure not installing brackets until the end leaving me more access to reach mounting points. I would put the bumper plate in first not almost last. Then worry about the light mounts until the end for final adjustments.

I love the look, which is why I ordered it and happy with the purchase. I saved a bunch of money doing the work my self and it feels good once you see the final product. I can’t wait to see it with the lift and 37’s when they get installed, she should look brutal.

35AE4BE3-C439-4230-B6B9-8FB976763F58.jpeg

Before picture

6978853D-F694-4714-9D26-B0BDF41091B7.jpeg

The new stubby bumper leaves plenty of room for larger tires and flexing at the mall.

6F549643-3FBD-4C9A-B762-B9CCA90DA04A.jpeg

Thats a big winch, but the install will be clean. I am actually going to use my laser engraver and going to laser engrave the warn logo in the fairlead, paint then color fill the logo. Going to add a jeep easter egg as well, so it will be different from all others.
F5AB226E-DB39-4D0C-8854-CCA5EB911315.jpeg

80C9B8E5-BC05-40F7-B81B-9132E70C19EA.jpeg

Stupid wire

6717619C-F77A-4A48-BAB3-7703873918BB.jpeg

2D975097-B475-464C-9968-6BA8500B4AF4.jpeg

So on this installment of the Just Empty Every Pocket J.e.e.p build:
I ordered a Rival 4x4 stamped steel modular bumper that was just released back in Jan at the 23 Sema show. I preordered for delivery the end of January and liked the fact that it was so new it would be something not everyone had. During shipment UPS decided to tear open my box and loose one of the hardware packs of nuts and screws. I will say every interaction with Rival’s customer service has been top notch.
Rival 4x4 modular bumper

Along with the bumper I needed to add a winch. On both my Tundra and RZR Pro I have Warn winches And they have served me well. I will say synthetic lines are the bomb. So I know it is hard to believe but right now there is a Warn winch shortage. But I was able to get one from 4wheelparts.com free shipping and no tax since they closed the local stores in Alabama. It was shipped from California and I know the UPS driver hated me that day box was 75 pounds plus. I went with the Warn Zeon 10s, this thing is massive, and takes up quite a bit of real estate in the front of the Gladiator. Now the bad news booo they way Warn packed this winch the neutral wire was sitting underneath the feet mounts of the winch. The winch cut and frayed part of the wire damaging it. So the bumper was installed, upgraded to factory led fog lights to go with the headlights. But the winch will have to wait until next week. Then to top it all off I added my Angry duck hood ornament same as I had on my Tundra. Although now the duck goes right in line with the whole duck Jeep culture thing.

Install of the bumper was not that bad, and if you ever do custom work on vehicles there is always something that ends up being an issue. I test fitted the bumper shell at every step. But after adding the winch plate with the provided shims it was not enough. As I tightened the winch plate it pulled the mounting points in a couple mm’s. And the shell holes would not line up. After sleeping on it, my solution was to ditch the factory ships for stainless washers. So now one washer would sit In between the mounting plate and frame. Problem solved and not allowing anything to flex no matter how much I torqued the mounting bolts. Now that I know what to look for and the better order of installation I could probably get one of these bumpers installed in about an hour. I would save time for sure not installing brackets until the end leaving me more access to reach mounting points. I would put the bumper plate in first not almost last. Then worry about the light mounts until the end for final adjustments.

I love the look, which is why I ordered it and happy with the purchase. I saved a bunch of money doing the work my self and it feels good once you see the final product. I can’t wait to see it with the lift and 37’s when they get installed, she should look brutal.

View attachment 37925
Before picture

View attachment 37926
The new stubby bumper leaves plenty of room for larger tires and flexing at the mall.

View attachment 37927

Thats a big winch, but the install will be clean. I am actually going to use my laser engraver and going to laser engrave the warn logo in the fairlead, paint then color fill the logo. Going to add a jeep easter egg as well, so it will be different from all others.
View attachment 37928

View attachment 37929
Stupid wire

View attachment 37930

View attachment 37931
Looks really good. Nice ride 👍👍

I'd think adhesive lined black shrink tubing would have fixed the little jacket tear. I've used some heavy duty before that held up very well in the elements and stayed very waterproof. The exterior factory coating gave up before the adhesive lined shrink tubing did.

Hey, a fellow Jeep fan! The JT looks great so far! I have a 2019 2 door JL and I have been strongly considering selling it and getting a Mojave JT, too...

Back