testtest

RMSc for carry

I want co-witnessing for one reason. If that electronic sight fails to light, I want to be able to see my iron sights. It isn't a concern. It's a want. The chances are slim of a failure. The chances are even slimmer that it will fail when you absolutely need that weapon but I would still want co-witnessing and I have it with the RZ. And I have put over a thousand rounds thru my gun in getting proficient with the red dot. It takes time to get used to. The Hellcat doesn't require removal of the rear sights so I have the factory sight line in place in the event the optic fails. I know that isn't the case with many rails that require removal of the rear factory sight. Just another reason why I love the Hellcat so much verses my XDs and others.

Co witnessing is not for me and of course what anyone else does is totally their prerogative. That being said, I think a lot of new RDS owners concern themselves too much on whether they should be co-witnessing (I certainly did) rather than enjoying and becoming proficient with their new addition. I love red dots (and particularly green dots) because my eyes are at that age where focusing on a front sight doesn’t really get the job done for me beyond 15 yards and I’ve already made that transition to a red dot being a must have on future pistol buys. Of course this is becoming easier as more pistols are coming optic ready.

Although I don’t worry about co-witnessing, I do think the evolution of reflex sights should be to somehow incorporate a rear site capability - and not one like Leupold’s crappy $72 rear sight add-on. I got suckered on that and ended up swapping to an $8 3D printed sight that does the job a hundred times better. I’d also like to see optics ready pistols not delete the ability to have a rear sight on the slide. To install an optic on my X5 Legion required removing the cover plate which held the rear sights.

I think you aren’t really understanding the reason most people want to co witness. It’s not so you can line your irons up with your dot. You’re not even going to pay attention to your irons as long as your dot is working.

I think you aren’t really understanding the reason most people want to co witness. It’s not so you can line your irons up with your dot. You’re not even going to pay attention to your irons as long as your dot is working.
If you re-read my comments, I think it’s pretty clear I understand why people want to co-witness. As I said I think there is an over-dependence on co-witnessing, especially among first time RDS owners. After experimentation I think it’s unnecessary, but that’s me.

If you re-read my comments, I think it’s pretty clear I understand why people want to co-witness. As I said I think there is an over-dependence on co-witnessing, especially among first time RDS owners. After experimentation I think it’s unnecessary, but that’s me.
If the only time you use your iron sights is when your optic fails, how can you be over dependent on co-witnessing ?

Seems to me you are over confident in your optic. It’s one thing at the range but a self defense situation is a really bad time for your red dot to crap the bed. Especially with no way to see your iron sights.

This is precisely why my Walther is not a carry gun. I bought a VP9 and didn’t put a RDMS on it for carrying.

See, I can’t buy the red dot crapping out in a defense situation argument - or that style of logic. What if my gun jams? What if I drop my gun? What if the guy coming at me is former Spec Ops? What if a meteor collides with the Earth? Why am I even leaving the house? Or how about this - what if my front sight falls off? Nobody ever worries about that and yet It actually happened to me a couple of weeks ago in a training class. A gunsmith installed the sight, for what it’s worth.

I’m not trying to convince you or anyone else, or start a beef. I was just making an observation.

See, I can’t buy the red dot crapping out in a defense situation argument - or that style of logic. What if my gun jams? What if I drop my gun? What if the guy coming at me is former Spec Ops? What if a meteor collides with the Earth? Why am I even leaving the house? Or how about this - what if my front sight falls off? Nobody ever worries about that and yet It actually happened to me a couple of weeks ago in a training class. A gunsmith installed the sight, for what it’s worth.

I’m not trying to convince you or anyone else, or start a beef. I was just making an observation.

There is a way better chance your optic will fail than most of those other scenarios. Meteor? Really? Spec ops guy decides to kill you randomly?

All kinds of stuff fails. If You learn nothing else from Dick Marcinko remember Mr. Murphy always comes along for the ride. There are things that can happen that are out of your control. It’s a dumb mistake to allow the crap to happen when you CAN control it.

Here’s an analogy. I’m a musician. I’ve been a working musician since I was 15. My PA system used to be all passive stuff. Racks full of power amps and EQs. Then I upgraded to powered speakers and a digital console. On every gig, out in my trailer was a piece of redundant gear for everything I used. Spare basses, spare cables, strings, batteries, monitors, full range mains, subs, console. Literally everything. Now what are the odds my new $4000 digital console is gonna crap out? About the same as the odds of a monitor catching on fire right on the stage. That happened to me. I had a spare in the trailer. It was no extra work or skin off my back to have that stuff with me. It saved more than one gig. A few years back I was doing a sub bass gig with another band. They had a powered mixer and passive speakers. 1st song, 2nd set the mixer decided to kill itself. The bandleader had no spare. That was the end of the gig right there. He didn’t get paid, but he had to pay me. He definitely wished he had a spare that night. I don’t work cheap.

So if it costs me nothing, why wouldn’t I have a backup plan for my red dot? By your logic carrying an extra magazine, extra ammo or a back up gun is pointless.
Going camping? No reason to bring extra clothes or a first aid kit right?

Back