testtest

Rob’s Corner: PRS Gun Builds

Interesting article.

However, all Rob's recipes involve base SA rifle's that are moderately to heavily modified with non-SA components, although some SA components are retained. That's fine.

This typical that the aftermarket often offers more options to enhance and/or otherwise customize a firearm since main-line manufacturers build/offer their products based on meeting a price-point for the consumer group.

While the article focused on Gas guns for PRS, bolt guns are also heavily used in the PRS world as he mentioned in the first article.

While I've investigated building an AR10-type Gas (DI or piston) gun, I've always seen that to get the configuration that I wanted I'd have to build it. I've done that for years with ARs of various configurations. Almost all my ARs are "mutts".

And then I fall back on what is old-reliable for me - a bolt gun. All my "long-range" rifles (aka PRS before PRS) are bolt guns.

I totally agree with Rob about the 6.5 CM being a "laser". It has become my "go-to" cartridge, and have 5 in various (bolt) configurations for different needs, and all shoot amazing well. And I'm beginning to dive into the 6mm CM with a build in-progress.

I don't know if Rob L shoots bolt-guns but if he does it would be nice to se a similar article.

My .02

Last edited:
Interesting article.

However, all Rob's recipes involve base SA rifle's that are moderately to heavily modified with non-SA components, although some SA components are retained. That's fine.

This typical that the aftermarket often offers more options to enhance and/or otherwise customize a firearm since main-line manufacturers build/offer their products based on meeting a price-point for the consumer group.

While the article focused on Gas guns for PRS, bolt guns are also heavily used in the PRS world.

While I've investigated building an AR10-type Gas (DI or piston) gun, I've always seen that to get the configuration that I wanted I'd have to build it. I've done that for years with ARs of various configurations. Almost all my ARs are "mutts".

And then I fall back on what is old-reliable for me - a bolt gun. All my "long-range" rifles (aka PRS before PRS) are bolt guns.

I totally agree with Rob about the 6.5 CM being a "laser". It has become my "go-to" cartridge, and have 5 in various (bolt) configurations for different needs, and all shoot amazing well. And I'm beginning to dive into the 6mm CM with a build in-progress.

I don't know if Rob L shoots bolt-guns but if he does it would be nice to se a similar article.

My .02
I got 2- 6.5 CM in bolts and 1- 6CM bolt rifle as well (also a .338 Lapua RPR Bolt rifle). I have a .224 Valkyrie upper married to a standard AR15 lower that I'm anxious to try out for distance as well. In Part 1 of Rob's PRS article (linked in this article), he does mention the Bolt and now Semi Auto PRS groups, I got the impression he currently only shoots the Semi Autos, but I'll let him speak for himself on that.

I've "toyed" with chassis guns in the .22lr, and have been interested in them for center-fires but in being a bit of a traditionalist I've always gone with a traditional stock either in laminate or composite for my serious bolt guns.

Still like a "pretty" piece of solid wood though.

I've "toyed" with chassis guns in the .22lr, and have been interested in them for center-fires but in being a bit of a traditionalist I've always gone with a traditional stock either in laminate or composite for my serious bolt guns.

Still like a "pretty" piece of solid wood though.
@Talyn, Here Part 1 of Rob's PRS series posted in a separate thread by Mike H.

I got 2- 6.5 CM in bolts and 1- 6CM bolt rifle as well (also a .338 Lapua RPR Bolt rifle). I have a .224 Valkyrie upper married to a standard AR15 lower that I'm anxious to try out for distance as well. In Part 1 of Rob's PRS article (linked in this article), he does mention the Bolt and now Semi Auto PRS groups, I got the impression he currently only shoots the Semi Autos, but I'll let him speak for himself on that.
I have at least one of everything and 2 of most now. Lot's of bolt guns from .223 to 6.5 PRC. 3 6 CM's and even a 6 BR. None of those can however be used in GasGun division.. I really got lazy shooting Gasgun. Last match I shot a GA Precision 6 CM Tempest action in a McMillan A6 stock. I forgot tot work the bolt several times and others I was just slow. Gasgun is far easier in some ways. I have a new heavier barreled 6 ARC almost put together on a Saint Edge lower and for the shorter range stuff that may be a really good combination. My large frame 6.5 CM in that story is amazingly accurate. Especially for an auto. Easily way sub MOA. And this is all with Factory ammo. When I miss with that gun it isn't the gun..

Back