testtest

Romeo zero on a Hellcat

If you're having a hard time looking for the replacement screws. Here's the part numbers for home depot.

Model: 803218
Internet/catalog: 20427483
Store sku: 574128
Thank you for this. I don’t have the coordination to be filing and sawing tiny little screws.
:)

On most optics, including firearm sights, choosing glass or plastic lenses? Some things to consider?

Most plastics can and do what's called "Outgassing" because of materials used in making plastics emitting gas. This gas can cause issues and cloud lenses of poor quality lenses over time. A lot goes into making either good quality glass or plastic lenses.

A few articles below discuss plastics in general and glass and plastic lenses.

This is the post, or information I used to go buy the same types of hex-head screws to use in place of the ones that came with the RomeoZero.

After a couple months of the run-around from the LGS where I bought the optic, and refusing to give me a refund and sayying I would have to leave my Hellcat with them a couple of months if I wanted their gunsmith to mill down the screws and mount it ... I finally decided to go to Home Depot and pick these up and try them out.

As advertised, they seem to fit perfectly.

I also had a hard time finding a measuring tape or measuring stick etc ... that had a metric scale on them ... and my eyes aren't good enough to distinguish 0.095" on a tape measure.

That was yet another setback or delay for me ... actually had the hex-head screws a few weeks ... then one day walking around in Walmart ... I pass by the aisle with the sewing needles, thread, etc .. and there it was ... for $1.47 a tiny measuring stick wtih a metric scale and even a "slider" to allow me to make precise measurements. It is called a "sewing and knitting guage", you will see a partial image of it in the 2 photo's I'll attach.

I'm attaching 2 photo's I took, to help out anyone else that needs a visual of how the supplied screws with the RomeoZero are a tad too long, and how they compare with the above mentioned hex-head screws.

The first image shows the hex-head screw on the lefthand side, and the supplied screw with the RomeoZero on the righthand side ...and you can see the hex-head screw is just a tad bit shorter ...

In the second image, I'm measuring how far the hex-head screw extends through the base of the RomeoZero ... and it is exactly 2.4 or 2.5 mm .... just what the Hellcat manual specifies.

View attachment 12915

View attachment 12916

The slider is not exactly at the number 3 ... and the screw is not 100% all the way through the base ... as I was holding the slider against the bottom of the screw ...it pushed through just a smidge ... but I had 1 hand holding the ruler and 1 had on the camera and didn't have another to hold the screw in tight ... but it sticks out exactly 2.4 mm ...
Thanks buddy. Finally, someone posting actual concrete info!

M4 7mm steel screws work fine if they are round head or cap socket heads. The Romeo Zero screws are 7mm but are countersink profile so they are flush with the top of the sight housing. The countersink depth is the amount by which they are too long for the Hellcat. Grinding them down ought to work, 1-1.5m
That's incorrect. Many people here have posted links to the actual screws they used (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...d-Steel-Metric-Screw-2-Piece-803218/204274283) and someone below posted pictures of it next to a mm measuring tape and it's 10 mm not 7. Screws are measured from the bottom of the head unless it's a flat or countersunk screw. The screws that came with the Romeo Zero cannot be 7mm. They must be 10mm but the problem is that they sit a tiny bit below the top of the red dot because there is a countersunk groove that a flat head screw falls into. The cap screw sits completely flat on top of the red dot. (Look at pictures of the post right above this response ) I don't want anyone misinformed.

Last edited:
Question for anyone,

My LGS (where I bought the RomeZero at the same time I was buying a new Hellcat - after they told me it would fit the Hellcat), did not tell me the supplied M4 screws did not fit ( or either they didn't know).

So, researched a bit, read various related threads here on this forum, and decided I would be better off getting the Swampfox Sentinel. But, the LGS told me that won't accept returns on optics.

After explaining the problem was told oh yeaf, they have been hearing reports about that ... no problem ... our gun smith can fix that right up for you ...he's out today but call and leave a message for him.

Week passes by and he never returns a call. Walk back in and told he's been on vacation, be back in another 2 weeks.

2 weeks later called again, said message was given, still no call back, so I finally go in on a day he is there, and gun smith tells me with all the craziness going on lately and number of guns purchased lately etc ... there would be about a 2 month backlog ...that I could leave my Hellcat there and eventually he would get to it.

Obviously I wasn't going to leave my newly purchased gun there for 2 months.

Not being good with hand tools/no dremel etc ... I decided to buy that hex head bolts reccomended earlier in this thread. They seem to fit just right, and although the large heads do protrude a little, they are off to the sides and might actually help in centering the front sight into the center of the rear sights.

But my issue is that I still can't fully co-witness. I've read some saying they can fully co-witness and others saying they can't.

Should I be able to fully co-witness on the Hellcat with the RomeoZero, or not? If yes, then perhaps I have a defecive optic?

Or have it installed imcorrectly?

Or do they just not 100% co-witness?

Here are 2 pics I took, the first showing to fully see the "ball" of the front sight, it is too high or above being centered into the "U" or the rear sight.

The 2nd photo shows where I would estimate the front sight should be within the "U" of the rear sight ...but can now only see about half of the front sight. Seems imperfect to me ... as I probably would need to only see the top third of the front sight to really have it centered perfectly in the rear sight.

I've not zeroed or shot with the optic yet, and that is the main goal ...so I suppose the co-witness issue could just be a minor "adjustment" in sighting I'd have to learn to account for should the optic fail .... but still ... supposedly the RomeoZero was advertised as allowing co-witness on the Hellcat and overall I am disappointed.

For that reason and the run-around with the screws not fitting etc ... I would have expected my LGS to let me return the optic ...

Anyhow ... who all has really acheived a 100% co-witness and who hasn't?

View attachment 12852

View attachment 12853
Thanks! Those pictures are so helpful!

Antonio, be aware, at best the Romeo will only co-witness at about the 'lower third'. In other words it will never be as good at co-witness as the Shields or the newer one iirc the Wasp. There may be one other now but it ain't the Romeo.
there are a couple really good pictures here on some thread that truly shows the difference. (anyone remember where they are?) Maybe someone will know where they are.

The thing is, a 'lower third' will work OK on a rifle where you have a longer sight radius and a slight dip of your head will help in the sight alignment when using the 'lower third'. But I'm willing to bet you won't like it on a handgun. Most who have tried it don't.

So, if you want a true 100% co-witness you'll have to by-pass the Romeo. It's a good quality red dot, just not designed to 100% co-witness with the Hellcat. Once you see the real difference, you'll understand I'm pretty sure.

In the meantime, go here and get a better idea of what's going on with them:

Hopefully someone will know where the really good pictures are here on the forum. (y)(y)(y)

Just remembered one other that L-n-L reminded me of several months ago .... it's called the J-point by JP Enterprises. And iirc it will 100% co-witness with the Hellcat I believe. I've not ever seen it in person nor have I ever talked directly with anyone who has one, but I've not heard anything bad about them either.

Might be another option for you.

Antonio, be aware, at best the Romeo will only co-witness at about the 'lower third'. In other words it will never be as good at co-witness as the Shields or the newer one iirc the Wasp. There may be one other now but it ain't the Romeo.
there are a couple really good pictures here on some thread that truly shows the difference. (anyone remember where they are?) Maybe someone will know where they are.

The thing is, a 'lower third' will work OK on a rifle where you have a longer sight radius and a slight dip of your head will help in the sight alignment when using the 'lower third'. But I'm willing to bet you won't like it on a handgun. Most who have tried it don't.

So, if you want a true 100% co-witness you'll have to by-pass the Romeo. It's a good quality red dot, just not designed to 100% co-witness with the Hellcat. Once you see the real difference, you'll understand I'm pretty sure.

Hopefully someone will know where the really good pictures are here on the forum. (y)(y)(y)
Thanks so much for the information!
I found those pictures:

Attachments

• Untitled picture.png
    Untitled picture.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 1607981332345-png.png
    1607981332345-png.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 222
  • 1607981348260-png.png
    1607981348260-png.png
    2 MB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Just remembered one other that L-n-L reminded me of several months ago .... it's called the J-point by JP Enterprises. And iirc it will 100% co-witness with the Hellcat I believe. I've not ever seen it in person nor have I ever talked directly with anyone who has one, but I've not heard anything bad about them either.

Might be another option for you.
Thanks. I've looked at them but need to read up more.
I just bought a Holosun HS507k today mainly because they're making the only optic I could find that includes a red ring around the dot to help find it faster. And the side battery compartment is really convenient. Unfortunately I've got to find an adaptor plate that will probably add the need for suppressor sights. I'll have to post a picture later. Sportsman's Warehouse (Denver, CO) for $289.99.

I don’t agree at all. Sorry. There’s a big difference in a rifle vs. a defensive handgun with a red dot. The RomeoZero on my Hellcat is perfect! Just my opinion😎. Oh, I love the Wasp on my other Hellcat (RDP) too!

Attachments

• 9A9A6237-429A-4365-9A14-E67051B642BD.jpeg
    9A9A6237-429A-4365-9A14-E67051B642BD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 225
I don’t agree at all. Sorry. There’s a big difference in a rifle vs. a defensive handgun with a red dot. The RomeoZero on my Hellcat is perfect! Just my opinion😎. Oh, I love the Wasp on my other Hellcat (RDP) too!
MacGuyVR, I don't have any issue with what you have, and I'm happy you're satisfied, but it's not 100% or 'Absolute' co-witness on your Hellcat. Here's what "Google" has to say about 100% co-witness on the first hit when I went looking.

"With absolute co-witness, you are getting 100% of the iron sight present through your red dot. You are seeing it all. The red dot or reticle of whatever kind is going to sit on the tip of the front sight and generally be aligned with your iron sights."

Here's a link to where I got this: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=100%+co-witness+sights

But here's the reality of things ..... if you're happy with what you have, that's great, but it's not a 100% co-witness as I understand the term. With mine, as I indicated, I can see the red dot sitting directly on top of my front iron sight and I can see the entire iron sight picture in a normal hold ..... no head dipping, tilting, nor anything else.

It's as if the red dot is a small, red, round target and I'm holding my irons at a 6:eek:clock hold on that target at approx 27-30' With a chamber laser inserted in my gun and holding on a wall or other flat, vertical, surface at 30', the laser and red dot basically cover each other. In order to see the red dot, I have to hold my finger over the muzzle to block the laser.

I only reiterated to Antonio that he will not get 100% or 'Absolute' co-witness on a Hellcat with a Romeo red dot sight. I didn't want to steer him wrong with the advice he asked for and I offered. I also was careful to explain to him the significant difference between a long gun (rifle) and a handgun (pistol) in the first line of my second paragraph.

It's all good !!! (y)(y)(y)

Back