testtest

Ruger takes on POF

No such restrictions in my state but growing up in PA with many deer seasons under my belt the "first day" sounded like a war going on with the non-semi-auto rifle shooters in the woods.

Once the sun came up and the deer started running & the shooting started, I always felt safer up in a tree stand vs. down on the ground.

My folks would retreat to the basement for a couple days.

I can just imagine how much more the "first day" in PA would sound if semi-autos were allowed.
About 35 years ago I had a similar experience. I didn't have any opportunities to scout any before opening day and just went into some public land. Once daybreak hit I found myself laying on the ground between 2 logs. Seems in the early morning darkness I walked into the middle of everyone else's positions and where the deer were running through while everyone was shooting at them. No deer that year.

I'm definitely interested. Two things I need more detail on is this adjustable gas regulator and the BCG. Hopefully someone will get one and show a detailed breakdown.

The weight of the 20" rifle is remarkable light. Very interested.

The Ruger SFAR's (both barrel lengths) have appeared on GB.

Buy it now prices at ~1,100 to 1,150.00 USD.

Bidding of course if you choose to go that route.

I picked up the Ruger SFAR 308 a few days ago. I have not had the chance to get it to the range nor tear it down, but watched several videos online and I was sold.

Now, just to play 'Devil's Advocate', I am NOT a one brand only kind of guy. My current AR's are in 5.56 (Anderson lower; Radical Arms 16" upper) and one in 6.5 Grendel (Anderson lower; PSA 12" upper), I also have a Mossberg MVP Scout, an old 1916 Mauser (7x57), 3, 22's (Mossberg 44US(c), Marlin 60 and Ruger 10-22 takedown model on the Magpul Backpacker stock). I could write a book on past owned firearms, but that would be for another day.

All that to say, I did own a Springfield Saint Victor in 308 and had to sell for family/medical reasons. When I was able to replace it, I checked out my local 'Gun Pusher' and he had one in stock along with the Ruger. The Ruger is, hands down, lighter than the Saint. I've had very good luck with Ruger products in the past with the exception of a KP97DC. Model 77's, 10-22's, AR556's and a couple of American Ranch Rifles. That being said, I decided to take a chance and save a little money and walked out with the Ruger.

Once I get a chance to take her to the range, I will report back.

Attachments

• Ruger SFAR 308 01.jpg
    Ruger SFAR 308 01.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 134
  • Ruger SFAR 308 04.jpg
    Ruger SFAR 308 04.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Ruger SFAR 308 03.jpg
    Ruger SFAR 308 03.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 258
  • Ruger SFAR 308 02.jpg
    Ruger SFAR 308 02.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 109
I picked up the Ruger SFAR 308 a few days ago. I have not had the chance to get it to the range nor tear it down, but watched several videos online and I was sold.

Now, just to play 'Devil's Advocate', I am NOT a one brand only kind of guy. My current AR's are in 5.56 (Anderson lower; Radical Arms 16" upper) and one in 6.5 Grendel (Anderson lower; PSA 12" upper), I also have a Mossberg MVP Scout, an old 1916 Mauser (7x57), 3, 22's (Mossberg 44US(c), Marlin 60 and Ruger 10-22 takedown model on the Magpul Backpacker stock). I could write a book on past owned firearms, but that would be for another day.

All that to say, I did own a Springfield Saint Victor in 308 and had to sell for family/medical reasons. When I was able to replace it, I checked out my local 'Gun Pusher' and he had one in stock along with the Ruger. The Ruger is, hands down, lighter than the Saint. I've had very good luck with Ruger products in the past with the exception of a KP97DC. Model 77's, 10-22's, AR556's and a couple of American Ranch Rifles. That being said, I decided to take a chance and save a little money and walked out with the Ruger.

The only guns Ruger makes I am not a fan of is their semi auto handguns. Plus it's kinda hard to screw up an AR these days.

The only guns Ruger makes I am not a fan of is their semi auto handguns. Plus it's kinda hard to screw up an AR these days.
The ONLY semi-auto handgun of theirs that I had excellent results from was my old P90. Probably the most accurate semi-auto I have ever owned. Big, bulky, but I was still able to carry it concealed, other than that I will agree with you. The most accurate handgun I ever owned, by far, was a Dan Wesson 44 Magnum (once I learned how to PROPERLY install the barrel).

I really, really love the idea of the 20" SFAR - no brake, no can - using a scope and offset irons (magpul pro offset). How's the SFAR shooting? I have been very close to buying a Sig 716i b/c of the sheer quantities made, but a lightweight 308 I can shoot close in and reach out - w/adj gas block and a decent trigger - hard to say no.

Anyone shoot these without the brake (no brake, no can)? Curious how the recoil / noise is.

Also - any thoughts on quality of Ruger - particularly BCG? .308 pressure is no joke - hope Ruger got it right.

Thanks in advance!

Hey Randie - how's that new SFAR shooting (recoil, accuracy, etc.)? In spite of me typically avoiding new, unproven platforms (whether vehicles or rifles lol) so all of the rich folks can deal with quality control issues, I squeezed the trigger and bought the 20" SFAR. It's the first time a semi 308 has just about everything I need - perfect for elk, bear, hogs - for when they sneak in on me up close or at longer distances (as long as it's accurate enough). As soon as I get it from my FFL I'm replacing that brake with a thread protector to see how it shoots. Not sure yet if the buffer will need more weight for the rifle system or not - but may do that.

Hey Randie - how's that new SFAR shooting (recoil, accuracy, etc.)? In spite of me typically avoiding new, unproven platforms (whether vehicles or rifles lol) so all of the rich folks can deal with quality control issues, I squeezed the trigger and bought the 20" SFAR. It's the first time a semi 308 has just about everything I need - perfect for elk, bear, hogs - for when they sneak in on me up close or at longer distances (as long as it's accurate enough). As soon as I get it from my FFL I'm replacing that brake with a thread protector to see how it shoots. Not sure yet if the buffer will need more weight for the rifle system or not - but may do that.
My son, grandson, my son's girlfriend's son and I will be going to teh range Saturday morning. Deer season opens on November 12th and we need to get our rifles sighted in. Then we will send some 22 RF down range since it's the cheapest to let the boys have a field day with.
As soon as we get back and I get everyting sorted out, I'll be posting!

Gotcha. Have fun this weekend, and good hunting! FYI - I heard that muzzle brake is CRAZY loud - so head's up for the family around you when you sight it in - may want to double up the ear pro (plugs and muffs). Our season (Missouri) also opens up Nov 12, and I'll probably take my lucky deer (Savage .308 bolt) rifle this year... I hope I get a bear/elk tag for next year to take my SFAR.

Gotcha. Have fun this weekend, and good hunting! FYI - I heard that muzzle brake is CRAZY loud - so head's up for the family around you when you sight it in - may want to double up the ear pro (plugs and muffs). Our season (Missouri) also opens up Nov 12, and I'll probably take my lucky deer (Savage .308 bolt) rifle this year... I hope I get a bear/elk tag for next year to take my SFAR.
My son is trying to decide what to take. Either the Mossberg MVP Scout or my AR-15 'Pistol' in 6.5 Grendel with a 12" barrel.

Cool, I wish I was a good enough shot to pistol hunt.

I always liked the look of the MVP scout - big fan of iron sights on my rifles. I prefer the feel of a traditional rifle. I would have bought the Browning Bar DBM in .308 but the barrel's too light and has way too many fliers past the second shot - that sucks. I just can't find a reliable semi .308 medium-heavy barrel traditional hunting rifle. If I could get that with irons, I'd throw on a QD (or offset) scope/dot and that'd be my go to rifle.

Cool, I wish I was a good enough shot to pistol hunt.

I always liked the look of the MVP scout - big fan of iron sights on my rifles. I prefer the feel of a traditional rifle. I would have bought the Browning Bar DBM in .308 but the barrel's too light and has way too many fliers past the second shot - that sucks. I just can't find a reliable semi .308 medium-heavy barrel traditional hunting rifle. If I could get that with irons, I'd throw on a QD (or offset) scope/dot and that'd be my go to rifle.
Bro, get you a big 'ol .44 Magnum revolver. 8.5" or bigger. No scope. Bet you can hit a 7" gong at 100 yards with it consistently. I'm no crack shot and I can't count the deer I have taken with mine.

Bro, get you a big 'ol .44 Magnum revolver. 8.5" or bigger. No scope. Bet you can hit a 7" gong at 100 yards with it consistently. I'm no crack shot and I can't count the deer I have taken with mine.
I've standardized on 22LR, 9mm, 12g, .223/5.56 and .308/7.62 and would need a compelling reason to add another caliber. If I hunted / lived near brown bear country, I'd probably get a 44 mag Ruger Super Redhawk and a 44 mag lever action rifle - just so I could live out my child dreams of being a cowboy...

I picked up my 20" SFAR today (for a little over $1000). I took it home and cleaned it (well, didn't have time to clean the gas block). Everything looks good: rail and receiver lined up nice, same with stock and grip. Gas key staked (barely enough lol). BCG machining looked good. Tomorrow I'll throw on my magpul pro offsets - maybe get a new scope. Saturday or Sunday - hopefully heading to the range - will give ya'll an update if I can go. I will probably shoot it Sat w/the brake and Sun w/out the brake.

Back