testtest

Russian Ammo Sanction Opinion

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
From SGAmmo.com

There has been a lot of people asking me about the sanctions on Russian ammo imports put in place by the US state department this past week and what it means for the future of ammunition supplies. There will be more clarity in several weeks when we can see the publication of a Federal Register notice expected on September 7, 2021. The state department announcement can be seen at this page -

https://www.state.gov/fact-sheet-united-states-imposes-additional-costs-on-russia-for-the-poisoning-of-aleksey-navalny/

My Russian Ammo Sanction Opinion - First, I hope you don't 'shoot the messenger' and I'd like to pat everyone on the back and tell them things are going to be okay but that wouldn't be truthful. In my opinion the sanctions are a major game-changer in the ammunition supply chain that is already strained. For the time being and based on what we can see so far, we believe that this will be the effective end of Russian made ammo in the USA as it plays out over the next year or so as import permits expire or are filled to the quantity limits, and in doing so eliminate supply of a huge portion of the ammo in the US commercial market.

From what I understand, the USA commercial market consumes around 800,000,000 rounds of ammunition from Russia every year, roughly 800 semi truck trailers worth in a mix of the most popular calibers. For the immediate short term we expect ammo to keep coming in from Russia but I expect the importers to raise prices substantially which is understandable to me given its the end of the lifespan for their business model.

The calibers we believe will be most effected are soviet metric calibers like 7.62x39, 5.45x39, and 7.62x54R because there is almost zero available manufacturing capacity for these calibers outside of Russia and what little exists will not make a significant impact in filling the needs of the USA commercial market without Russian ammo absorbing the lion's share. In addition to these calibers,

I estimate that the Russians supplied 30% to 40% of the 223 Rem / 5.56 and 9mm Luger consumed at the shooting ranges across this country, and large portions of the 45 auto, 9x18 Makarov, 30 carbine, 308 Winchester / 762x51, 380 Auto, 300 Blackout and 6.5 Grendel. I see this as a potentially devastating blow to the supply for of 223 Rem / 5.56 and 9mm Luger, where the reduction in supply from Russia will be difficult to make up in the short term for other manufacturers who have already been unable to keep up with demand this past year.

Consumers who have used Russian ammo regularly will have to move on from Russian made ammo to those other products made elsewhere and in doing so absorb the supply and prolong recent shortages. Again this is my opinion, based on my knowledge of the industry after 20+ years experience, and how things play out over time could be different.

For me, selling Russian made ammo is about 40% of my business, and while we plan to source as much supply as we can from other sources, we do expect this to have a major negative impact on supply for 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 5.45x39, 9mm Makarov, 9mm Luger, 223 Rem / 5.56 NATO, as well as the other mentioned calibers.

I would like to thank Talyn for this honest and knowledgeable summary of events. I'm not pleased with the ban, but I appreciate when people provide information backed by knowledge and experience. Too much of what I've seen has either predicted that the ban will end of the 2nd Amendment, or that it is merely a minor inconvenience that will only affect AK enthusiasts.

From SGAmmo.com

There has been a lot of people asking me about the sanctions on Russian ammo imports put in place by the US state department this past week and what it means for the future of ammunition supplies. There will be more clarity in several weeks when we can see the publication of a Federal Register notice expected on September 7, 2021. The state department announcement can be seen at this page -

https://www.state.gov/fact-sheet-united-states-imposes-additional-costs-on-russia-for-the-poisoning-of-aleksey-navalny/

My Russian Ammo Sanction Opinion - First, I hope you don't 'shoot the messenger' and I'd like to pat everyone on the back and tell them things are going to be okay but that wouldn't be truthful. In my opinion the sanctions are a major game-changer in the ammunition supply chain that is already strained. For the time being and based on what we can see so far, we believe that this will be the effective end of Russian made ammo in the USA as it plays out over the next year or so as import permits expire or are filled to the quantity limits, and in doing so eliminate supply of a huge portion of the ammo in the US commercial market.

From what I understand, the USA commercial market consumes around 800,000,000 rounds of ammunition from Russia every year, roughly 800 semi truck trailers worth in a mix of the most popular calibers. For the immediate short term we expect ammo to keep coming in from Russia but I expect the importers to raise prices substantially which is understandable to me given its the end of the lifespan for their business model.

The calibers we believe will be most effected are soviet metric calibers like 7.62x39, 5.45x39, and 7.62x54R because there is almost zero available manufacturing capacity for these calibers outside of Russia and what little exists will not make a significant impact in filling the needs of the USA commercial market without Russian ammo absorbing the lion's share. In addition to these calibers,

I estimate that the Russians supplied 30% to 40% of the 223 Rem / 5.56 and 9mm Luger consumed at the shooting ranges across this country, and large portions of the 45 auto, 9x18 Makarov, 30 carbine, 308 Winchester / 762x51, 380 Auto, 300 Blackout and 6.5 Grendel. I see this as a potentially devastating blow to the supply for of 223 Rem / 5.56 and 9mm Luger, where the reduction in supply from Russia will be difficult to make up in the short term for other manufacturers who have already been unable to keep up with demand this past year.

Consumers who have used Russian ammo regularly will have to move on from Russian made ammo to those other products made elsewhere and in doing so absorb the supply and prolong recent shortages. Again this is my opinion, based on my knowledge of the industry after 20+ years experience, and how things play out over time could be different.

For me, selling Russian made ammo is about 40% of my business, and while we plan to source as much supply as we can from other sources, we do expect this to have a major negative impact on supply for 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 5.45x39, 9mm Makarov, 9mm Luger, 223 Rem / 5.56 NATO, as well as the other mentioned calibers.
I received an email from them about it. Glad you posted it!

Frankly a lot of the discussion surrounding this ban around here has shocked me. Yeah, my wife is a CPA, financial advisor and economic analyst, but you really don’t need to be any of those things to understand what will happen. It’s not a question, it’s a fact. Econ 101. If you eliminate supply, demand will increase. If demand increases, consumer cost will increase.
If you don’t think the price of all ammo will increase if this Russian ban takes effect, you are living in a fantasy world.

Always remember that the people that want to ban guns know they cannot do it legally. So they make it a rich man’s game which pretty much accomplishes the same thing.

Make it so cost prohibitive that the average American cannot afford to participate.

Frankly a lot of the discussion surrounding this ban around here has shocked me. Yeah, my wife is a CPA, financial advisor and economic analyst, but you really don’t need to be any of those things to understand what will happen. It’s not a question, it’s a fact. Econ 101. If you eliminate supply, demand will increase. If demand increases, consumer cost will increase.
If you don’t think the price of all ammo will increase if this Russian ban takes effect, you are living in a fantasy world.
That's what I was taught in economics!

I agree that this is going to put a sizeable dent in the ammo supply, and sadly this may be the first of more import bans to come. It will take at least a year for ammo manufacturers to expand their capacity, and as supply starts to improve it will be time for the mid-term elections which seems to increase demand . I suspect there will be another year of panic buying at insane prices, and this will be something that may be with us for a long time.

I personally have only used Tula/Wolf 9mm and .223, but have been getting away from Russian steel-cased ammo because of it's dirty stuff at a minimum, and doesn't run well in most of my platforms.

So, this will have a minimal impact on me due to those reasons.

I suspect the majority of the imported Russion steel-cased ammo is used for "blasting/plinking" vs. serious uses.

There are other manufacturers out there, and if you monitor the market & see where stuff is coming from there are other sources at reasonable price points that perform better out there.

Plus, there are other alternatives out there to allow for practicing drills to keep the muscle memory.

My .02

Last edited:
I personally have only used Tula/Wolf 9mm and .223, but have been getting away from Russian steel-cased ammo because of it's dirty stuff at a minimum, and also doesn't run well in most of my platforms.

So, this will have a minimal impact on me due to those reasons.

There are other manufacturers out there, and if you monitor the market & see where stuff is coming from there are other sources at reasonable price points that perform better out there.

Pluis, there are other alternatives out there to allow for practicing drills to keep the muscle memory.

My .02
to tell you the truth, the Wolf ammo (i have not tried Tulammo yet), shoots cleaner than the reloaded ammo i get..!!

i don't know what the guy uses, i never ask, cuz i never get to see him, but dang if i don't get "showered" with specs.

to tell you the truth, the Wolf ammo (i have not tried Tulammo yet), shoots cleaner than the reloaded ammo i get..!!

i don't know what the guy uses, i never ask, cuz i never get to see him, but dang if i don't get "showered" with specs.

Sounds like it's time to try something else, than some random reloaded stuff.

Back