testtest

Rust and possible corrosion inquiry

I recently picked up a new Andro Corp ACI-15 from Midway USA. Upon further inspection, I can see some orange spots on the internal side of the safety selector as well as the external side. In addition to this, I can see it present on the internal side of the bolt catch as well as the external side of the castlenut endplate towards the stock. I tried using Ballistol and Hoppes 9 with a rag and nylon + brass brush and I am having trouble removing all of it. In addition to this, inside the interior of the magwell I can see some white discoloration. I thought that this was a blemish in the finish from test fitting a magazine and I tried using CLP as well as Birchwood Casey's aluminum black, but it does not remove it. It appears that the white spot has a trail leading up to the top of the magwell, and I was wondering if this was corrosion instead since the lower is Aluminum? Is this surface rust and corrosion, and if so, would it be worth making an RMA request over? How would I go about removing it?

I recently picked up a new Andro Corp ACI-15 from Midway USA. Upon further inspection, I can see some orange spots on the internal side of the safety selector as well as the external side. In addition to this, I can see it present on the internal side of the bolt catch as well as the external side of the castlenut endplate towards the stock. I tried using Ballistol and Hoppes 9 with a rag and nylon + brass brush and I am having trouble removing all of it. In addition to this, inside the interior of the magwell I can see some white discoloration. I thought that this was a blemish in the finish from test fitting a magazine and I tried using CLP as well as Birchwood Casey's aluminum black, but it does not remove it. It appears that the white spot has a trail leading up to the top of the magwell, and I was wondering if this was corrosion instead since the lower is Aluminum? Is this surface rust and corrosion, and if so, would it be worth making an RMA request over? How would I go about removing it?

Thats why I don't do online gun purchase, I want to see the gun before I buy, try getting ahold of Midways CS, hopefully they will take care of this for you.

It's only $6.00 for a new basic mil-spec safety selector at Midway USA. You could always buy an upgraded selector for short money that will have a better protective coating.

In my opinion it will probably be less of a hassle to buy a new selector and install it yourself as it a very easy process to replace with simple hand tools and basic tool skills.

AndroCorp Ar's are considered a budget rifle so with that being said you typically give up something when buying in the budget range and in this case the finish seems to be the concession. The rifle will most likely work without issue with the slightly rusted coated parts. Removing them and using a little bit of CLP and steel wool will probably get them cleaned right up.

Last edited:
It's only $6.00 for a new basic mil-spec safety selector at Midway USA. You could always buy an upgraded selector also for short money that will have a better protective coating.

In my opinion it will probably be less of a hassle to buy a new selector and install it yourself as it a very easy process to replace with simple hand tools and basic tool skills.

This, 100% this.

Get a good aftermarket, swap it, don’t look back.

No offense, but…it’s not like Andro is a top-tier rifle. You pays your money, and you gets what you pay for. It’s not like you shelled out for a SOL, DD, or HK…

Personally, I wouldn’t GAF about and run the snot out of it.

The white line in the magwell is nothing more than where mags have been inserted and rubbed the finish off. I don't know about Andro rifles and how good they are but it's not something i would expect to see on a new rifle but i see nothing that is damaged, just cosmetic. i'd oil it up and run the crap out of it if were mine.

Last edited:
The white line in the magwell is nothing more than where mags have been inserted and rubbed the finish off. I don't know about Andro rifles and how good they are but it's not something i would expect to see on a new rifle but i see nothing that is damaged, just cosmetic. i'd oil it up and run the **** out of it if were mine.
i would sue the bastoidavitches for selling me something like that......!!!!!

That's the beauty of an AR. None of those parts are that expensive to replace. And frankly the ones that came on the rifle are likely pedestrian and need to be replaced anyway. Get yourself a Strike Industries enhanced bolt catch, get yourself a Strike Industries ambi safety and while your at it get a Strike Industries extended latch charging handle, a nicer grip and PSA right now has a NIB Toolcraft BCG on sale for $90.

A lot of what I see in those pictures, particularly the magwell, isn't rust. It's just not a great job with the finish. It's unlikely any replacement gun you get from the manufacturer will be any better. Unless you can get a full or nearly full refund I would use it as a platform to build a nicer gun. Couple hundred bucks and you'd have a decent enough rifle.

This weekend is a great opportunity to upgrade parts. Sales everywhere.
Yeah, and some of them actually amount to sales. Most however do not. There's more than a couple things I am looking at purchasing and comparing Labor Day sale prices to what they were selling for in the last 2 months has resulted in the realization that every one of these companies ( of which I receive emails from about 10-12) are moving numbers around to make it appear as if you're getting a deal. Each one usually has a couple items that are actual good deals, but the vast majority is the same price. PSA has good deals on a couple things right now.

Yeah, and some of them actually amount to sales. Most however do not. There's more than a couple things I am looking at purchasing and comparing Labor Day sale prices to what they were selling for in the last 2 months has resulted in the realization that every one of these companies ( of which I receive emails from about 10-12) are moving numbers around to make it appear as if you're getting a deal. Each one usually has a couple items that are actual good deals, but the vast majority is the same price. PSA has good deals on a couple things right now.
Yeah, that’s annoying. One website has 12% off every other week. I unsubscribed from them months ago.

It's only $6.00 for a new basic mil-spec safety selector at Midway USA. You could always buy an upgraded selector for short money that will have a better protective coating.

AndroCorp Ar's are considered a budget rifle so with that being said you typically give up something when buying in the budget range and in this case the finish seems to be the concession. The rifle will most likely work without issue with the slightly rusted coated parts. Removing them and using a little bit of CLP and steel wool will probably get them cleaned right up.

i just searched on midway
i must be searching wrong
they are having great sales to this weekend. i need a few things , might as well add spare parts

Back