testtest

Rusting parts on my HellCat

wsw229

Alpha
Anybody else have issue with internal parts rusting on their HC?
I carry IWB and live in SC. Plenty of sweating going on. My trigger pin rusted badly as has my mag catch. These are generally not user serviceable parts.

I carry IWB and live in SC. Plenty of sweating going on. My trigger pin rusted badly as has my mag catch. These are generally not user serviceable parts.
we get very humid days/nights up here as well in New England, but for far shorter length of time than you do down south

i have yet to field strip mine. it is due in fact. (i do this maybe every 3 months)

when i do so, that's when i can come back and respond.

I don’t own a HellCat but I’ve had some small parts start to show rust on one of handguns, you’ve already admitted to living in a highly humid part of the country so you need to make sure the gun your referring to is oiled more often. Gun grease would also help as it displaces moisture better then a light gun oil.
Have you contacted Springfield Armory and talked with a customer service representative to see if SA can help?
Until you get a direction to go put grease on the parts that are showing rust to keep them from getting worse.

Thanks gentlemen, was curious as to whether anyone else had experienced the issue. It snuck up on me. Carried my G26 for years with no problems. Didn't expect an issue with my HC. Got rid of my Sig365 because of rust.

or they're plastic like the rest of the frame!
14BA584A-6DC7-44AD-917B-4C11ED0F22EA.gif

i was able to buy Kroil at the local refrigeration/supply/repair warehouse, when i need it rather quickly..but it only came in spray cans..

then, i got a gallon sized from Amazon at a much lower price, than what it is selling for now, plus free Prime shipping. when i was shopping for it, back then, not too many places had any in stock.

I don’t know the internals of the HC that are rusting due to excessive moisture and salts. Any unprotected steel will eventually lead to some degree of corrosion, even in storage.

I’d wonder just what metal was used for these internal parts and the plating process in order to determine if it’s a mfg. warranty issue, if you can rule out unintended owner neglect. The argument will be periodic and proper cleaning including removal of moisture and salts. I’ve heard of a metal wax being used, but even oil will eventually wear away leaving vulnerability, so these preventative treatments are not permanent.

Batch plating process mishap can result in some parts not getting the the full treatment or maybe some inferior or defective metals were used. An alloy would not rust as easy as a defectively plated steel, so I’d contact SA for some direction and technical spec.

I don’t know the internals of the HC that are rusting due to excessive moisture and salts. Any unprotected steel will eventually lead to some degree of corrosion, even in storage.

I’d wonder just what metal was used for these internal parts and the plating process in order to determine if it’s a mfg. warranty issue, if you can rule out unintended owner neglect. The argument will be periodic and proper cleaning including removal of moisture and salts. I’ve heard of a metal wax being used, but even oil will eventually wear away leaving vulnerability, so these preventative treatments are not permanent.

Batch plating process mishap can result in some parts not getting the the full treatment or maybe some inferior or defective metals were used. An alloy would not rust as easy as a defectively plated steel, so I’d contact SA for some direction and technical spec.
I know when I was still working at my sheriffs dept, a deputy brought and showed me his new, I mean new XD 9mm, all the internals were rusted, inside the slide where striker is all rusted, he brought it home to clean and lube it and saw this, took it back to the shop and they said you have to deal with Springfield, this was back in the late 90’s, I couldn’t believe it. Springfield did take care of it for him.

UPDATE: July 13, 2022 @ 10:35 AM

as i mentioned in my earlier posting, we do get high humidity up here in New England, but for maybe a week at a time, then it dries out, then starts all over again, over the humidity you and others get further south.

So, i checked my logbook, and found that the last time i field stripped my Hellcat was back in February the 16th in fact. nearly 5 months to the day since i cleaned/lubed it.

then, back then, all i did was wipe clean the lube, and re-lubed.

today, when i field stripped it, all i found was the usual skin droppings(??), some lint, a blueberry and a Vizio 40 inch LED tv....

i still cannot explain that blueberry.....

but absolutely.......NO RUST anywhere...

when i lube ANY of my semi-automatics, i also make sure to put an actual drop of oil, on the springs that i can see, any pivot points as well. of course the other parts i lube as normal, and i then lightly wipe it all, just enough to leave a thin film.

this time too, i did not lube with Weapon Shield, but with FP-10

so why you found/saw rust on yours..??

i don't know...........

if i find out how i got a blueberry in mine..........i might have an answer for you.

I know when I was still working at my sheriffs dept, a deputy brought and showed me his new, I mean new XD 9mm, all the internals were rusted, inside the slide where striker is all rusted, he brought it home to clean and lube it and saw this, took it back to the shop and they said you have to deal with Springfield, this was back in the late 90’s, I couldn’t believe it. Springfield did take care of it for him.
was it a police issued gun..???

or his personal gun...???

UPDATE: July 13, 2022 @ 10:35 AM

as i mentioned in my earlier posting, we do get high humidity up here in New England, but for maybe a week at a time, then it dries out, then starts all over again, over the humidity you and others get further south.

So, i checked my logbook, and found that the last time i field stripped my Hellcat was back in February the 16th in fact. nearly 5 months to the day since i cleaned/lubed it.

then, back then, all i did was wipe clean the lube, and re-lubed.

today, when i field stripped it, all i found was the usual skin droppings(??), some lint, a blueberry and a Vizio 40 inch LED tv....

i still cannot explain that blueberry.....

but absolutely.......NO RUST anywhere...

when i lube ANY of my semi-automatics, i also make sure to put an actual drop of oil, on the springs that i can see, any pivot points as well. of course the other parts i lube as normal, and i then lightly wipe it all, just enough to leave a thin film.

this time too, i did not lube with Weapon Shield, but with FP-10

so why you found/saw rust on yours..??

i don't know...........

if i find out how i got a blueberry in mine..........i might have an answer for you.
86371DEF-AEDB-445D-9371-9EDEC26039B5.gif

I think there were comments on the topic previously about the cleaning and oiling a new weapon before using, and comments were made that factory oiling was for merely done as a protectant for shipping.
Could the factory missed that step prior to transport?

I can see where some incidental rust is going to occur whether from perspiration or relative humidity and even a from getting doused by rain. The question comes down to materials or maintenance.
The way metal is treated before plating makes a difference but left in stagnant and poor ventilated area can only accelerate the rusting process along with accumulated microscopic dirt/lint on what looks like an otherwise clean part.

I agree, let’s hope wsw229 is able to post a picture for reference.

Wasn’t the late 90’s—the XD didn’t exist then (the HS2000, the XD before Springfield got importation rights, didn’t come in until 2000, and SA got them in 2002, or so).

But still, the early XD’s were infamous for rusting. Sounds like Croatia needs to step up QC.

Back