testtest

Rusting parts on my HellCat

The topic had me check on this, so for some reference and comment, here’s my XD45 (circa 2008) showing rust…or discoloration? Obviously this are not plated parts and actually received a film coat of oil over the course of years of cleaning. These are the only 2 parts that that show rust. Magnified, I don’t see any pitting or flaking corrosion and more importantly no malfunctioning.
(downloaded photo isn't as clear as the original)

0B7D65CA-1AB6-464C-92C5-44DB10AC0440.jpeg

The topic had me check on this, so for some reference and comment, here’s my XD45 (circa 2008) showing rust…or discoloration? Obviously this are not plated parts and actually received a film coat of oil over the course of years of cleaning. These are the only 2 parts that that show rust. Magnified, I don’t see any pitting or flaking corrosion and more importantly no malfunctioning.

View attachment 28942
almost looks like discoloration. but i cannot see up close, like you can.

almost looks like discoloration. but i cannot see up close, like you can.
That’s what I think, but there is a bit of wear showing the shiny metal under.
I won’t be putting any abrasives to clean this but the coating or discoloration is odd and not like a true rust oxidation like with ordinary steels.
I wonder if this is what wsw229 was originally asking about.
thanks for your input !

View attachment 28942
Thats not rust, thats the color of those two parts.

I also IWB my Hellcat. It doesn't get much love. I haven't even cleaned it since last range day. I do wipe the optics lens off one a week. I live in central TX so it had been humid as hell till about a month and half ago, now dry as a bone. It has been rained on twice while walking my dog, all I did was wipe the optics lenses off. I'm sweating on it daily in +100°. Pistol hasn't ever had a malfunction, nor any rust.

Some alloys turn a plum color when blued. Here's another explanation: "The plum color is caused by the metal composition and temper plus the strength of the bluing bath used. The weaker the chemicals, the thinner the finish and more likely the color will turn purple. The bluing bath can also be at the wrong temperature."

Wasn’t the late 90’s—the XD didn’t exist then (the HS2000, the XD before Springfield got importation rights, didn’t come in until 2000, and SA got them in 2002, or so).

But still, the early XD’s were infamous for rusting. Sounds like Croatia needs to step up QC.
Might have got the year wrong, I just remember I just started out at the sheriffs dept, my bad

Back