testtest

S&W Shield in 30 Super Carry

N

nmedge

Was wondering if anyone here has purchased this gun in 30 super carry and what they think of it. Is ammo easy to come by and are you happy with its performance. Thanks

I think it’s just another gimmick trying to squeeze more out of the consumer, the ballistic difference in other more common Rounds on the market is minuscule at best. I would bet Dollars to donuts 10 years from now it will be in the dust bin while 9 mm and 45acp are still racking the king share of the market,

I think it’s just another gimmick trying to squeeze more out of the consumer, the ballistic difference in other more common Rounds on the market is minuscule at best. I would bet Dollars to donuts 10 years from now it will be in the dust bin while 9 mm and 45acp are still racking the king share of the market,
I think that depends on the price of the ammo when it settles out. And how popular super compact carry guns turn out to be.

I’ve shot several rounds out of a S&W Shield in 30 SC. I expected a little more noise with the 50,000 PSI and a little more recoil but it wasn’t bad. Very flat shooting.

Will it sell? I think so as a certain segment wants a couple more rounds in a mag. It will probably perform like a 32 H&R or 327 Fed Mag which is actually pretty good rounds.

Also It will probably catch on more than the 45 GAP but for me I’ll pass. I have 9mm 45’s and even carry a Model 10 in 38 from time to time so I’m not a big capacity oriented guy. And I don’t really need another round.

Yea they'll carry 30 super but not 10mm in my location because 10mm is a dead cartridge. Yet they carry tons of the .40 S&W yet won't sell any .40 firearms because they won't sell.....

I'm so confused.....
That's a pretty odd statement about 10mm being a dead cartridge considering all the new models of 10mm firearms being produced the past few years by most of the major firearms manufacturers.

I don't recall seeing any new .40cal firearms being offered in anyone's line up in the past 3 years.

The reason you're not seeing 10mm on the shelves is because of the higher demand not because of lack of sales.

Yeah, at my LGS hardly no new guns in 40 cal at all. If you want a used one different story, he is overloaded with them and nobody wants a 40 cal anymore. I like the 40 cal and enjoy shooting them.

That's a pretty odd statement about 10mm being a dead cartridge considering all the new models of 10mm firearms being produced the past few years by most of the major firearms manufacturers.

I don't recall seeing any new .40cal firearms being offered in anyone's line up in the past 3 years.

The reason you're not seeing 10mm on the shelves is because of the higher demand not because of lack of sales.
You and I know this and agree with 10mm.
I have spoke with the gun counter and ammo sales manager at our local BPS. I pointed out the sales of new 10mm handguns they had on display and the lack of .40 handguns they had on display.
I guess my intelligence intimidated him 😉.
He doubled down to say that history shows far more .40 caliber pistols have been sold.
Once again my "intelligence" asked him how many .30supers they had sold to warrant the amount of .30super ammo they had in stock verses the amount of 10mm, he doubled down and just said 10mm wasn't worth stocking to sell.
I'll be honest I was just poking the bear at this point since my local range always has plenty and at very reasonable prices. I buy boxes of 50 all day for $28 for fmj S&B and $31 for HP S&B.
They carry a large selection of defensive as well and are priced very good.
I guess I expected BPS would use their buying power to get more stock as they have great stock on most everything else, prices are a little higher and the drive is an hour to it.
Sometimes I take it as a sport when someone tries to bedeful me with BS🤣

10mm

1666845095971.gif

My Sportsman's Warehouse always have a good stock of 30 Super Carry. I was actually waiting for the Shield in it and I was going to get it. They had the Shield EZ, but not the regular Shield. Then Springfield brought out the Hell Cat Pro, and well, I bought that instead. I am actually still interested in the 30 and still might end up grabbing one some day.

Yea they'll carry 30 super but not 10mm in my location because 10mm is a dead cartridge. Yet they carry tons of the .40 S&W yet won't sell any .40 firearms because they won't sell.....

I'm so confused.....
Pitdogg2, Be careful my friend with regard to the 10MM. This is a very popular round and I’ll bet if you ever go to Alaska you would find almost every guide carrying a Glock 20. I currently carry the Sig P320 X10 for EDC for specific reasons. The 10MM round checks lots of boxes for defense and other parameters. As for the 30 Super not a fan and time will tell if it takes off. Not many offerings in this caliber so we will see if gun manufacturers are going to invest in an untested round thus far. Let me pose a question to you. If you are in a EDC situation were you have limited resources and or may be with family members who you would have to protect, would you prefer to hit them and forget them OR find yourself in a prolonged gun battle. In gunfights I want to cause the greatest amount of trauma to the circulatory system and brain housing group as fast as possible. If I had my choice I would use a battle rifle every time but that is just not practical for EDC situations. So, we are left to the handgun. This my friend is why you should give great consideration as to what kind of handgun you are going to carry and in what caliber. If you have time check out some of my remarks on previous post. I have provided good information that is FACTUAL based on 22 years of Special Operations Duty from participating in over 600 missions/deployments

Was wondering if anyone here has purchased this gun in 30 super carry and what they think of it. Is ammo easy to come by and are you happy with its performance. Thanks
You can do better my friend do your research really examine what will provide the greatest margin of safety and performance for you in a possible lethal encounter. You need to stack the deck in your favor as much as possible. There is only sadness and despair in losing a deadly encounter.

Guns and Ammo named 30 Super Carry ammo of the year.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editori...,models, as well as the larger 13-round GX4XL.

Ammo Of The Year​

Federal .30 Super Carry offers more capacity than a 9mm, and more effectiveness than a .380 ACP. The .30 Super Carry (SC) features a .312-inch-diameter projectile loaded in a slightly tapered and rimless case. The overall length measures 1.169 inches, maximum, with a max pressure rating of 52,000 psi. Velocities for both Federal’s 100-grain full-metal-jacket (FMJ) and defensive HST loads averaged 1,205 feet per second (fps), producing 322 foot-pounds (ft.-lbs.) of energy. That’s about the same muzzle energy as a 9mm Luger, but the SAAMI-approved cartridge dimensions allow handgun manufacturers the opportunity to reduce grip circumference and overall size for easier concealment. On target, the increased speed translated to a flatter trajectory — less drop — and extended range.

Smith & Wesson and Nighthawk Custom were the first two firearm manufacturers to develop pistols that chambered .30 SC. Rather than designing new platforms that perfect grip circumference and size for the new cartridge, they quickly adapted existing models for the new round. Smith & Wesson chambered its popular Shield Plus OR pistols ($549, smith-wesson.com), as well as its Shield EZ ($521). Nighthawk Custom released its GRP and President Model 1911 Government-style pistols for the .30 SC, as well ($4,600, nighthawkcustom.com). Capacity in the 1911 increases to 12-plus-one rounds with the .30 SC.

During Guns & Ammo’s extensive testing of this cartridge, we found it to be accurate, reliable and effective in ballistic gel to 12 inches. The .30 SC projectile typically expands as well and penetrates as deep as a comparable 9mm load.

The .30 SC is a forward-looking cartridge. The way the industry innovates is to push the boundaries beyond what already exists. The introduction of the .30 SC paves the way for the future development of new pistols (and pistol-caliber carbines) that use modern manufacturing to optimize a capacity, dimensions, ergonomics and weight.

I'd like to get one (and ammo) as a collector's item. I don't see that it offers enough of an advantage over existing cartridges to make any real dent in the market. A couple of extra rounds of a more expensive cartridge that is "almost" as powerful as 9mm doesn't really resonate with me.

This is just another form of making concessions to attract a certain buyer for calibers that are far more superior and have proven track records. Why would you want to make concessions with your life? I'll tell you what. The first time someone tries to take your life and you break out your micro pistol with it's 2" to 3" barrel and have to defend yourself perhaps even against a long gun or superior caliber weapon let me know how that turns out. Oh, and let's hope that your assailant plays along and stays within the 7 yards because the FBI says that the most shootings occur at this distance. God forbid you might have to take a longer shot with your micro. Concessions in gun fights equals death my friends. But hey, it's a free country(I think).

But this isn't limited to micros. It's being made by Nighthawk in 1911s.
I see this as an excellent round for a 1911. Get like 12 rounds in a Commander size 1911. Yes please. Rock Island could bang those out for under $600. I'd be all over that.
But it does bascially kill the 380. Same price, two or 3 more rounds and better ballistics. Full disclosure, I never liked the 380. But I mean, why buy a new 380 when you can buy this?

Back