testtest

SA 4.25” Emissary 9mm

I bought the 4.25” 9mm Emissary and love it. I have fired maybe 100 rounds through it but have a question for you. When I put a full mag in and rack one in the chamber and then turn right around and drop the mag, why does a round fall out loose from the mag? If I only load say 5 rounds in the mag it doesn’t do it….. quite confused on this one……. Any thoughts????

I bought the 4.25” 9mm Emissary and love it. I have fired maybe 100 rounds through it but have a question for you. When I put a full mag in and rack one in the chamber and then turn right around and drop the mag, why does a round fall out loose from the mag? If I only load say 5 rounds in the mag it doesn’t do it….. quite confused on this one……. Any thoughts????
i answered your PM to me, first, i did not know you had a 9mm, as i have the .45 ACP.

in my PM to you, i stated that once you "chamber" a round, then drop the magazine, you are most likely seeing the round fall out of the chamber.

unless you have video, this is the only reason i can think of, you are seeing a round fall out of the gun.

@Daryle01
So first the chambered round will not fall out of the chamber when removing the magazine, it is being held into the chamber by the slide.
You don’t mention what magazines you got with your Emissary so I’ll guess they are Mec-Gar as that what came with my Emissary 45ACP
Either way……..
Start with an empty gun.
Load one mag full.
Insert mag and rack a round into the chamber.
Drop mag.
If you end up with a loose round falling from the mag well unload the gun completely.
Load same magazine one round less then full.
Insert magazine and rack a round into the chamber.
Drop magazine.
Again if you end up with a loose round then again rack slide to remove the chambered round and load the same magazine two rounds less then full and repeat the above.
I’m sure you see where I’m going with this.
Do this test until you have figured out how full your magazine can be without creating a loose round when mag is ejected after racking a round into the chamber.

Now should you have a loose round falling out of the mag well when you drop the magazine after chambering a round? I have to say no as others have mentioned and my first thought is the springs in the mags are pushing up on the rounds to much and need time to relax or the mags are defective.

Try loading the mags full and letting them sit full for a few days to a week, doing that will cause the springs to relax a little, then try the above test again.

@Daryle01
So first the chambered round will not fall out of the chamber when removing the magazine, it is being held into the chamber by the slide.
You don’t mention what magazines you got with your Emissary so I’ll guess they are Mec-Gar as that what came with my Emissary 45ACP
Either way……..
Start with an empty gun.
Load one mag full.
Drop mag.
If you end up with a loose round falling from the mag well unload the gun completely.
Drop magazine.
Again if you end up with a loose round then again rack slide to remove the chambered round and load the same magazine two rounds less then full and repeat the above.
Do this test until you have figured out how full your magazine can be without creating a loose round when mag is ejected after racking a round into the chamber.

Now should you have a loose round falling out of the mag well when you drop the magazine after chambering a round? I have to say no as others have mentioned and my first thought is the springs in the mags are pushing up on the rounds to much and need time to relax or the mags are defective.

Try loading the mags full and letting them sit full for a few days to a week, doing that will cause the springs to relax a little, then try the above test again.
4F56E64D-3FCC-427F-8D9B-A581752F3787.jpeg
802F669B-1875-420C-BF5B-F7B56CC445CC.jpeg8F8B3DBD-0354-4E6C-9C25-B7FF62CCEC20.jpeg
These are the magazines that came with it. I already had to return one because after last round, it wouldn’t lock the slide open. And here she is swaddled in a Mitch Rosin 5JR express with added liner

@Daryle01
Either way……..
Start with an empty gun.
Load one mag full.
Drop mag.
Drop magazine.

I have a video but have no clue how to post it

Normal? I have never had a gun do that. Not 1911s, not strikers. Doesn't sound normal to me.
I haven’t either that’s why I came to the professionals on here 😁. With 8,7 and 6 rounds they don’t fall out but the magazine won’t drop freely. I have to pull it out and they are hanging in the magazine by a thread. With 5 rounds everything works perfect.

Had this happen on my 1911 .45ACP double stack, it was an 80% build done all by me.

My extractor tension was too great, causing an occasional feed issue. (Extractor resists the butt end of the case sliding up the breech face as it is feed in the chamber, you end up with the round cocked butt down in the mouth of the chamber stopping the slide from going into battery.

This issue combined with shooting from a bend rest to zero the pistol was driving rounds in the magazine forward. The next round at the top of the magazine can be driven forward out of the magazine slightly into the pocket that is there for the feed ramp. When I drop the magazine, it hangs up and won't drop, I have to shake it or pull it out, which pulls the top round in the magazine sticking out slightly with the nose in the pocket of the feed ramp. So the top round left in the magazine pulls out and drops free as you get the magazine out.

Two things are doing this, Drag from the round above it being feed out of the magazine and Momentum.

Momentum, As the pistol fires and is driven backwards by the recoil, the rounds in the magazine do not want to go into motion with the rest of the pistol, so the relative position of the rounds compared to the pistols being driven backwards is them moving forward, if they can in the magazine (even though they are really just standing still as the pistol moves backwards around them)....

Having a shorter barrel 1911, will require a stiffer recoil spring and stronger recoil reaction...

Your magazine and rounds being dry and free of lube as well as a good magazine spring will combat that...

In my case, that drag was the biggest factor, using a bench rest that changed the recoil reaction probably contributed to this happening in my case, shooting normally doesn't cause it, even with too much extractor tension...

Drag, again, watch how it is feeding, if rounds are hanging up they may be dragging on the next round in the magazine pulling it forward as it is feed out of the magazine...

Hi, I have a few 1911s and have never had this problem. I tend to agree with much of the advice given here. MecGar magazines tend to be good quality (I much prefer MecGar to ProMag). But Magazines are an Achilles' Heel of many guns, and the 1911 is a notable example. I have moved to Wilson Combat for my 1911 magazines. They're expensive but "buy nice, or buy twice" is the rule I follow. I get them straight from the WC web site - they're often priced competitively there. I would buy one WC magazine and see if that resolves your problem. If so, it is likely the MecGar mag is flawed in some way. SA should replace it. I also use Chip McCormack magazines - they make a nice 10rd that I use on the range (so does WC). Best of luck to you in resolving this issue! The bright side = Having a magazine issue is a better issue to have than if something were wrong w the gun itself! :cool:

You could not give me a Pro Mag. I am not a fan of Mec Gar either, but many manufacturers use them for OEM mags. Which as a rule with striker fired handguns I will only use OEM mags. For 1911s I like Wilson Combat though I have a few Kimber ( mec gar) mags that run very well. ARs I stick to gen 2 P Mags.

Back