testtest

Safariland 6378RDS modified to fit the Prodigy 5inch

xdman

Self appointed Chief Armorer
Staff member
I Will claim that I am first in the country, to have a Safariland 6378 RDS to work with the 5 inch Prodigy. Now Safariland has an existing duty holsters that are made for the the STI/Stacatto 4.4 with options for, lights/no lights/red dots/no red dots. These Stacatto holsters work perfect with the Prodigy 4.25, but not the 5inch.
IMG_3623.jpg

Well damn that does not help me at all. Now of couse you can say, just use a different holster and yes you can. But the Safariland ALS and GLS holsters are some of my favorite ones and are built for duty use, let alone every day carry. Now the next big news was that Safariland just released a hybrid holster that used the duty holster portion and removed the back bulky duty belt attachments and instead replaced it with the paddle. Think of it as a hybrid duty, everyday carry holster. Hot Damn I love it, and now I have to order a smaller Prodigy to along with the holster. But while I wait lets do some experimentation.
IMG_3626.jpg

IMG_3627.jpg

Out of the box: the holster will not work with the 5 inch Prodigy. The pistol will insert into the holster but bottoms out and will not insert far enough to lock. Good news though the Springfield Dragonfly will work with the RDS portion of the holster including the hood that protects the dot. So examining the holster, I can see the problem is the slide is running into the bottom of the holster right at what I will call the pinch weld. You can see it next to the screw driver.
IMG_3621.jpg

I am so close….I am going to make it work hell or high water. My plan is to remove the barrel alignment nub base, and the light cap so I can see whats going on. Yep the pinched kydex has too much taper. So now I grab a bunch of quarters to act as shims inserting enough to spread the holster slightly until the slide can fully seat and now lock. Great so my theory now works. I remove my quarter shims and now the prodigy is stuck pinched by the kydex. Easy peezy next I use my heat gun and warm up just the tip of the holster near the pinch area. Warm the kydex to right below where the kydex is too hot to touch. Kydex will turn mailable and I was able to remove just a little bit of the pinch.
IMG_3622.jpg

The Remolding looks so good that you would never know the factory did not do it. Now that the kydex cools to form around the longer slide, and voila the 5 inch Prodigy works and is in like Flint! I adjust the light tensioner to my taste and now I have the perfect carry package. I will reinstall the light cap, and work on the barrel nub later. Really there is no need for it, since the holster can just be open bottom. I have wiggled and rocked the heck out of the pistol, and it locks solid
IMG_3625.jpg

So now I have one holster that will work with both Prodigy’s. Two seconds with a heat gun and any Safariland Duty Stacatto holster will work with the longer Prodigy if thats what you want to carry on duty.

A nice view of the RDS hood that will Help protect the Dot.
IMG_3629.jpg

IMG_3630.jpg

The ALS locking system
IMG_3631.jpg

Last edited:
That's cool having an optic cover.
It’s passive, so to draw the pistol all you have to do is engage the locking lever with your thumb. As you pull the pistol out of the holster the hood rotates out of the way. When you reholster and insert the pistol the holster automatically locks the gun in, and you have to rotate the hood back up to cover the dot.

It’s passive, so to draw the pistol all you have to do is engage the locking lever with your thumb. As you pull the pistol out of the holster the hood rotates out of the way. When you reholster and insert the pistol the holster automatically locks the gun in, and you have to rotate the hood back up to cover the dot.
That's what I gathered from the pics, but still cool having the extra protection!

Now just getting the carbon off the light lense. I've seen a few products, but do you currently use anything that works well?
I just ordered something that’s supposed to work like magic, the reviews are all positive

I just ordered something that’s supposed to work like magic, the reviews are all positive
I believe that was what I saw when on a gun product site. Let us know how it works out I have a few lights to clean.

I wonder if this holster would fit a Bul Armory Sas II Tac . I noticed searching holsters that with a Red dot fit anything with Staccato /Prodigy or 1911 with or wo rail all had identical stock numbers . The Safariland holsters with an RDS cover with or without lights . Were the same holster fit numbers for Staccato or Prodigy or any other 2011 type gun they made holsters . Which is the middle number : For example 51/53 fit any 1911 with or without rail . 51 was commander and 53 Government. That was also the same number for SA Prodigy vs Staccato without Red dots or lights .

Nice mod to the holster, now if I could just get a Prodigy…….been looking since they came out and guys here got one, my shop still has none, just about to give up.

Nice mod to the holster, now if I could just get a Prodigy…….been looking since they came out and guys here got one, my shop still has none, just about to give up.
Are you looking for some beyond fantastic deal or something ? Prodigy is all over the place . Your Dealer should be able to get on teh phone with one of his many Distributors and get you one virtually overnight . Or buy one online and have someone transfer it in for you .

Are you looking for some beyond fantastic deal or something ? Prodigy is all over the place . Your Dealer should be able to get on teh phone with one of his many Distributors and get you one virtually overnight . Or buy one online and have someone transfer it in for you .
Just looking for one locally, I don’t do online purchases, my dealer gets them in and bang, gone, so it’s a waiting game

Back