testtest

Safety selector sticking

Coogle

Alpha
So I bought my saint victor 16" back in oct., I have 3,400 rounds through it. Two weeks ago I started to feel the safety becoming harder to rotate. I have taken the detent spring, detent pin, and the actual selector out to see if there is any abnormal wear. I didn't see anything out of the usual but today when I repeated the process I noticed little tiny metal flakes against the inside walls of the lower by the trigger housing. I inspected the two holes where the selector rotates and I see wear but can't figure out where the metal flakes are coming from, nor why the safety is so hard to actuate. I even went out to get a different selector and it does the same thing. I haven't tried changing the detent spring or detent pin. It is the original safety that came on the gun. Any info would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

P.S when I try to actuate the safety it feels like I am grinding metal on metal

So I bought my saint victor 16" back in oct., I have 3,400 rounds through it. Two weeks ago I started to feel the safety becoming harder to rotate. I have taken the detent spring, detent pin, and the actual selector out to see if there is any abnormal wear. I didn't see anything out of the usual but today when I repeated the process I noticed little tiny metal flakes against the inside walls of the lower by the trigger housing. I inspected the two holes where the selector rotates and I see wear but can't figure out where the metal flakes are coming from, nor why the safety is so hard to actuate. I even went out to get a different selector and it does the same thing. I haven't tried changing the detent spring or detent pin. It is the original safety that came on the gun. Any info would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

P.S when I try to actuate the safety it feels like I am grinding metal on metal
Id recommend you contact Springfield customer service and let them know about your issue. Springfield Armory offers great customer service and a lifetime warranty on their firearms.

The link below will allow you to register your firearm warranty and it goes through the steps of setting up warranty service.

Id recommend you contact Springfield customer service and let them know about your issue. Springfield Armory offers great customer service and a lifetime warranty on their firearms.

I have experienced their warranty first hand with my SA 1911. I was hoping to avoid having to send it in but I am also a newbie at this. Thanks for the reply!

I have experienced their warranty first hand with my SA 1911. I was hoping to avoid having to send it in but I am also a newbie at this. Thanks for the reply!
If this was a different firearm that had no warranty I would recommend a few other things first.

Can you provide some pics of the metal flakes your finding in your receiver? A few pics of the interior of the receiver wouldn't hurt either around all sides of the selector. There's a wealth of knowledge on this forum with all the members and someone may have a simple solution to your issue and it may not always be a problem with the firearm.

Types of ammo used can be a factor for metal flakes gathering inside a firearm especially when using steel cased ammo. Sometimes steel parts inside a firearm can become magnetized and will attract metal shavings to stick to parts causing malfunction's. This is just one example.

Last edited:
If this was a different firearm that had no warranty I would recommend a few other things first.

Can you provide some pics of the metal flakes your finding in your receiver? A few pics of the interior of the receiver wouldn't hurt either around all sides of the selector. There's a wealth of knowledge on this forum with all the members and someone may have a simple solution to your issue and it may not always be a problem with the firearm.

Types of ammo used can be a factor for metal flakes gathering inside a firearm especially when using steel cased ammo. Sometimes steel parts inside a firearm can become magnetized and will attract metal shavings to stick to parts causing malfunction's. This is just one example.
I knew I should of taken photos but I went ahead and cleaned them out. They were tiny little metal shavings around the walls of the holes that the selector rotates in. It's really weird it will actuate properly for 4-5 throws the it gets insanely hard then just locks up in the safe position.

3EE33033-92AC-4610-8A1F-E3258A56B0E1.jpeg

Attachments

• BB407371-DC8A-4ADB-AD52-FD04E525B5AE.jpeg
    BB407371-DC8A-4ADB-AD52-FD04E525B5AE.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 158
  • 740D1BD2-AC97-4CEC-AEBE-A6E0CA3E8B65.jpeg
    740D1BD2-AC97-4CEC-AEBE-A6E0CA3E8B65.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 174
  • DFF555DE-218E-4BAD-B4C7-2DBF33C42A63.jpeg
    DFF555DE-218E-4BAD-B4C7-2DBF33C42A63.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 164
  • ABFE8812-F8D1-49A8-9E2B-64DA269DCAAC.jpeg
    ABFE8812-F8D1-49A8-9E2B-64DA269DCAAC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 146
  • D1594BB6-9567-4FDF-B993-5DB006299E23.jpeg
    D1594BB6-9567-4FDF-B993-5DB006299E23.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 150
  • 33765AA0-E8B5-47D8-BF3A-E3B64FF53BF2.jpeg
    33765AA0-E8B5-47D8-BF3A-E3B64FF53BF2.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 165
  • A07161BD-0298-4750-8E3D-2F1AACD654AD.jpeg
    A07161BD-0298-4750-8E3D-2F1AACD654AD.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 169

I knew I should of taken photos but I went ahead and cleaned them out. They were tiny little metal shavings around the walls of the holes that the selector rotates in. It's really weird it will actuate properly for 4-5 throws then it gets insanely hard then just locks up in the safe position.

That was my next step, thanks for the reply.
I'm willing to bet it's probably a bad detent. If you're looking for an upgrade selector then I'd recommend the Radian Talon for an ambi upgrade and better feel to the basic milspec selector. I currently use these on a few rifles.

Last edited:
I'd recommend the Radian Talon for an ambi upgrade and better feel to the basic milspec selector. I currently use these on a few rifles.

I will have to check that out. I emailed the warranty department at Springfield so I will follow through with that and see what happens.

One picture that I don't think I see...... How does the tip of the detent look?

Is the detent spring kinked?

Given that you have not yet tried to troubleshoot these two items, they would actually be my primary suspects.

Without the grip, how easy is it to thread the grip screw into the lower? Have you checked to see if there might be a grip screw protrusion problem into the FCG - ie. is this one of those receivers that lets that bolt thread all the way through?

Also without the grip, does the safety rotate freely, without binding?

And you're positive that you're not kinking that spring - and that it's also seating at the appropriate depth - when you're reinstalling, correct?

Given how hard it's binding (that it's physically stopping and seizing), how do your other fire control components look? The spring orientations look correct in your pictures and there doesn't seem to be anything just screaming at me, but I'm looking at a screen, here, so help me out, bruddah 😅 - but I can't see the disconnector spring: that's in there, correct? Does the gun pass function check, prior to the safety seizing?

Some wear of the detent is not unexpected, and depending on how that mates up with the safety barrel, it could cause an issue over time. Looking at the barrel, they seemed to have a rough go at it....or maybe it's just the mileage plus being ever so slightly off with one another - tolerance stacking.

If you're not adverse to trying a cheap - but proper - fix yourself before you send it in, I think it could potentially be an easy fix, assuming that it's not the lower that's the actual problem. As @KillerFord1977 noted, the spring and detent are both cheap: picking up a few as spares at this point would also be good. Pulling a known-working safety from another gun or buying a take-off USGI for cheap could also help in troubleshooting.

I really like that Radian safety, but I'd hate to troubleshoot by upgrading. :) It's also honestly be a while since I put one in one of my ARs (https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/lets-see-your-ar-setups.258/page-5#post-4884), and I can't remember if it came with a replacement detent and spring - or not. If it's missing the latter, you'll still want to pick up new, given our current troubleshooting matrix.

Last edited:

Given that you have not yet tried to troubleshoot these two items, they would actually be my primary suspects.

Without the grip, how easy is it to thread the grip screw into the lower?

And you're positive that you're not kinking that spring - and that it's also seating at the appropriate depth - when you're reinstalling, correct?

Given how hard it's binding (that it's physically stopping and seizing), how do your other fire control components look? The spring orientations look correct in your pictures and there doesn't seem to be anything just screaming at me, but I'm looking at a screen, here, so help me out, bruddah 😅 - but I can't see the disconnector spring: that's in there, correct? Does the gun pass function check, prior to the safety seizing?

Some wear of the detent is not unexpected, and depending on how that mates up with the safety barrel, it could cause an issue over time. Looking at the barrel, they seemed to have a rough go at it....or maybe it's just the mileage plus being ever so slightly off with one another - tolerance stacking.

If you're not adverse to trying a cheap - but proper - fix yourself before you send it in, I think it could potentially be an easy fix, assuming that it's not the lower that's the actual problem. As @KillerFord1977 noted, the spring and detent are both cheap: picking up a few as spares at this point would also be good. Pulling a known-working safety from another gun or buying a take-off USGI for cheap could also help in troubleshooting.

I really like that Radian safety, but I'd hate to troubleshoot by upgrading. :) It's also honestly be a while since I put one in one of my ARs (https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/lets-see-your-ar-setups.258/page-5#post-4884), and I can't remember if it came with a replacement detent and spring - or not. If it's missing the latter, you'll still want to pick up new, given our current troubleshooting matrix.
The grip screw goes in fine without the grip. The safety does move freely even with the detent pin in its position. To me it seemed like the spring was pushing to hard against the detent pin causing it to lock up but I have no idea. The gun passes a safety function test. When I assemble everything I can usually get 4-5 normal throws out of it then it’s starts to get really tough.

Without the grip, how easy is it to thread the grip screw into the lower? Have you checked to see if there might be a grip screw protrusion problem into the FCG - ie. is this one of those receivers that lets that bolt thread all the way through?

If you have the time call Springfield instead of email you’ll get a faster response. This thread is loaded with great information but one thing I will say is this is a safety function and Springfield should get involved so in case “god Forbid” something happens it’s documented.
(800) 680-6866 S.A. Customer service.

I tried uploading more photos but I am getting an error saying they are too large

It's OK, pictures not needed, we can make this work, without. :)

The grip screw goes in fine without the grip. The safety does move freely even with the detent pin in its position. To me it seemed like the spring was pushing to hard against the detent pin causing it to lock up but I have no idea. The gun passes a safety function test. When I assemble everything I can usually get 4-5 normal throws out of it then it’s starts to get really tough.

How does that detent pin look?

I am wondering if -given the way the safety barrel is looking- that there's some kind of burr that captures onto the worn areas in the barrel as the pin "randomly" rotates during normal use, causing the lock-up.

Out of curiosity, as you've been able to troubleshoot by transplanting parts from a known-working AR to yours, what happens if you put your safety, its detent, and the detent spring into the partner/known-functioning gun? This should help rule-out your lower (egging of the safety) being the issue.

When you performed your initial troubleshooting....was there any other spring at-hand that you could have confused the safety detent spring for?

And you didn't change to a different aftermarket grip then, by any chance, did you?

And there wasn't a helpful gremlin (i.e. son/daughter or niece/nephew) around who might have decided that little hole on the side of the grip was fun...and say dropped an extra detent in there (thereby shortening that hole), right? ;)

If you have the time call Springfield instead of email you’ll get a faster response. This thread is loaded with great information but one thing I will say is this is a safety function and Springfield should get involved so in case “god Forbid” something happens it’s documented.
(800) 680-6866 S.A. Customer service.
They already sent me a shipping label and I am sending it tomorrow.

It's OK, pictures not needed, we can make this work, without. :)

How does that detent pin look?

I am wondering if -given the way the safety barrel is looking- that there's some kind of burr that captures onto the worn areas in the barrel as the pin "randomly" rotates during normal use, causing the lock-up.

Out of curiosity, as you've been able to troubleshoot by transplanting parts from a known-working AR to yours, what happens if you put your safety, its detent, and the detent spring into the partner/known-functioning gun? This should help rule-out your lower (egging of the safety) being the issue.

When you performed your initial troubleshooting....was there any other spring at-hand that you could have confused the safety detent spring for?

And you didn't change to a different aftermarket grip then, by any chance, did you?

And there wasn't a helpful gremlin (i.e. son/daughter or niece/nephew) around who might have decided that little hole on the side of the grip was fun...and say dropped an extra detent in there (thereby shortening that hole), right? ;)
I have tried one other safety with the same outcome. I still have the original BCM grip and the original detent pin & spring. I can rule out the third party defectors because I have only taken it down at my house by myself. I contacted warranty and they have already sent me a shipping label so I am going to let them take a look at it. It is really weird how it will actuate 4-5 times then start sticking when it is flicked to the safe position.

^ I agree, that's weird - I honestly suspect it to be the pin/safety barrel.

Hopefully it's really that easy of a fix. But returning it to SA means that if you need a new lower, you'll get one! :)

Please let us all here know how this is resolved! Best of luck!

Back