testtest

Saint Optics Question

So i just bought a Saint thats equipped with the A2 front sight. I love the gun but was planning on buying a scope for it. My question is will the front sight be visible through the scope? or would a mil dot be better? i wish i could just take the A2 off and change it to a flip down front sight but as I understand it, the A2 is part of the gas system and you can’t just take it off. Im also a first time gun owner so any help or advice would be appreciated
72E69AC2-876A-4139-A11E-32C2A96F3379.jpeg
72E69AC2-876A-4139-A11E-32C2A96F3379.jpeg

Welcome to the forum...

At higher magnification, your Front Sight Post(FSP) will literally disappear in the scope...usually over about 4x(I think...might be 6x?)...so depending on how powerful your scope is, it might not be an issue.

You could also mount the scope in a set of tall rings, putting it over the FSP...but this will affect other things, such as your cheek weld and bore offset...more on those if you decide that’s the route you want to take.

I think you mean a “Red Dot” scope, and not a “Mil Dot”—a mil dot is a means of measuring range to the target, and some scopes have them in their reticles...but are usually standard magnified scopes...where a red dot is usually a zero-magnification electronic scope where you use the dot as an aiming point...and that won’t be a problem with a fixed FSP like yours...I run one with a FSP on one of my rifles.

Another option would be to swap your FSP with a different gas block (you are correct, your FSP is part of the gas system). It’s not terribly difficult if you are handy with tools.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for clarifying the “mil dot” red dot confusion lol. Like i mentioned im a first time gun owner so thanks for that. I suppose considering the options you brought up, I would want to switch out the FSP with a different gas block. how much would something like that cost? Im actually a machinist so im pretty handy with tools.

Thanks for clarifying the “mil dot” red dot confusion lol. Like i mentioned im a first time gun owner so thanks for that. I suppose considering the options you brought up, I would want to switch out the FSP with a different gas block. how much would something like that cost? Im actually a machinist so im pretty handy with tools.

This is just an example...there’s several other choices out there.

It will involve removing your barrel, so you’ll need some specialty tools.

If you co-witness you can use a non magnified optic and if you have a variable power optic(3x9, 4x12 and so forth) like Hans said it will disappear! Need more clarification on why the removal/replacement of the gas block(adjustable block or front sight too be gone)? You need too find out what a gunsmith will charge for the labor too be added in the cost! A good gunsmith can talk you threw options!

If you co-witness you can use a non magnified optic and if you have a variable power optic(3x9, 4x12 and so forth) like Hans said it will disappear! Need more clarification on why the removal/replacement of the gas block(adjustable block or front sight too be gone)? You need too find out what a gunsmith will charge for the labor too be added in the cost! A good gunsmith can talk you threw options!

Replacing the FSP is a DIY mod if you’re handy with tools and comfortable doing it.

It just requires a little know how and a few specialty tools.

I run a vortex catilever mount for my vortex scope and it will clear the A post sight.
See my FN fal pic.(bottom rifle)

a vortex red dot will also clear theA post. My Saints have the Vortex Strikefire on them that comes on a cantilever mount

616DA421-A85A-4020-9B04-EE5D394452F8.jpeg
3650464E-6D58-44EF-AC9D-7CE90DCF974A.jpeg

Last edited:
He did say he's a first time buyer! He might have a hard time aligning it without the removal of more parts? It's just a suggestion for him!

Its not that hard to align correctly...and he said he’s a machinist, so it sounds like he’s going to be comfortable with tools.

The first time I modified an AR, I built it from the ground up...yes, there was a little bit of a learning curve and a few mistakes that needed to be fixed before everything ran right...but that’s part of learning anything.

Its not that hard to align correctly...and he said he’s a machinist, so it sounds like he’s going to be comfortable with tools.

The first time I modified an AR, I built it from the ground up...yes, there was a little bit of a learning curve and a few mistakes that needed to be fixed before everything ran right...but that’s part of learning anything.
I must have missed the machinist part somewhere? If so he could probably do it, as long as he feels comfortable with it? Rock on Matt0210!

Wow thanks for all of the replies! Wasn’t expecting such an overwhelming number of responses. I don’t necessarily need the A sight to be gone but just don’t want to see it through any optics. It’s a home defense weapon but always want to be able to occasionally take it to the range and shoot out to 100-200 yards. I have a buddy that runs a red dot on his Palmetto but you can see the iron sights thru his red dot and when I shot it, it was really annoying because you could barely and I mean barely see his dot

Wow thanks for all of the replies! Wasn’t expecting such an overwhelming number of responses. I don’t necessarily need the A sight to be gone but just don’t want to see it through any optics. It’s a home defense weapon but always want to be able to occasionally take it to the range and shoot out to 100-200 yards. I have a buddy that runs a red dot on his Palmetto but you can see the iron sights thru his red dot and when I shot it, it was really annoying because you could barely and I mean barely see his dot
Due too dot size or other reasons?

That is where a lower 1/3 co-witness would work well. It raises the optic up just a little and moves the sight post lower in the optics window.

Thats probably more of a function of what size dot he was running...if it was a 1-2 MOA dot, that means that it appears to be 1 or 2 inches round at 100 yards...move up to a 4 MOA it’ll show up much better.

I’ll add—red dots work best with both eyes open.

One eye looks downrange at the target while the other eye looks at the dot; your brain does the hard work and puts the images together.

Believe it or not, the first types of red dot scopes-Armson OEG’s-were opaque, with just a red dot in the middle...

Back